Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > web pages are just 'not rite'

web pages are just 'not rite'

John

for some reason, no doubt my ftp programs fault, some of my php files on my
web server have a line break between every line!
example
<?

echo "this";

if ($blah == "something) {

echo "something else";

}

?>

when it should be:
<?
echo "this";
if ($blah == "something) {
echo "something else";
}
?>

also, some files, instead of line breaks have boxes.
<?phpBOXecho "this";BOX

it doesnt seem to be affecting perforamnce but its annoying when trying to
edit files

Hywel Jenkins

In article <Sg5Gb.3872582$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> for some reason, no doubt my ftp programs fault, some of my php files on my
> web server have a line break between every line!
> example

It's not a HTML issue - either your FTP client is fiddling with the
files during transfer, or your server is modifying the end of line
characters.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

Eric Bohlman

"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Sg5Gb.3872582$(E-Mail Removed):

> for some reason, no doubt my ftp programs fault, some of my php files
> on my web server have a line break between every line!

If you and your server are running different OSs (for example, Windows at
your end and Linux on the server), you need to make sure to set up your FTP
program to transfer text files (such as HTML, PHP, etc.) in "ascii" mode
and binary files (such as images) in "binary" mode. What's probably
happening is that Windows editors normally use a CRLF has the line
separator whereas Unix-family systems normally use just an LF. In "ascii"
mode a file uploaded from a Windows system to a Unix system will have each
CRLF translated to an LF and a file downloaded from a Unix system to a
Windows system will have each LF translated to a CRLF. But if, say, you
accidentally upload in binary mode and then download in ascii mode, you'll
wind up with CRCRLF or something similarly confusing.

brucie

in post <news:(E-Mail Removed) et>
Hywel Jenkins said:

>> for some reason, no doubt my ftp programs fault, some of my php files on my
>> web server have a line break between every line!

> It's not a HTML issue - either your FTP client is fiddling with the
> files during transfer, or your server is modifying the end of line
> characters.

that was also my thought. binary transfers should fix it.

--
brucie
24/December/2003 10:55:33 am kilo

Cameron

Hywel Jenkins wrote:
> In article <Sg5Gb.3872582$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>for some reason, no doubt my ftp programs fault, some of my php files on my
>>web server have a line break between every line!
>>example

> It's not a HTML issue - either your FTP client is fiddling with the
> files during transfer, or your server is modifying the end of line
> characters.

Make sure your FTP client is uploading files in the correct format I.E.
ASCII or Binary.

~Cameron

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

news:Sg5Gb.3872582$(E-Mail Removed)...
> for some reason, no doubt my ftp programs fault, some of my php files on

my
> web server have a line break between every line!

Make sure you're uploading in ASCII format.

--Tina
--
http://www.AffordableHOST.com
20% Discount Code: newsgroup