Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Re: Image map: client-side or server-side (cgi)?

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: Image map: client-side or server-side (cgi)?

 
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2003
For example the map of Italy on the page
http://www.lavilla.se/
does not have the motorways.

Best regards

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)


http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/









 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
brucie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-23-2003
in post <news:EA3Gb.39613$(E-Mail Removed)>
Luigi Donatello Asero said:

> For example the map of Italy on the page
> http://www.lavilla.se/


theres no map on that page. don't ya just hate frames.

> does not have the motorways.


you cant run off with someone elses map anyway. they'll get lost. find a
PD map and adjust it to your needs.


--
brucie
24/December/2003 09:23:13 am kilo
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> skrev i meddelandet
news:bsaiuf$baoik$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> in post <news:EA3Gb.39613$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Luigi Donatello Asero said:
>
> > For example the map of Italy on the page
> > http://www.lavilla.se/

>
> theres no map on that page. don't ya just hate frames.
>
> > does not have the motorways.

>


I meant map as "map of Italy" not as " image map" in the example which I
mentioned above.
> you cant run off with someone elses map anyway. they'll get lost. find a
> PD map and adjust it to your needs.

I did not want to copy that map, I just meant that I have not found any
better map of Italy on the web.
As I mentioned, the maps which are on the sites http:/www.italymap.dk
and http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com were made

for my one-man business, that is Scaiecat Spa Gigi, by a
cooperative society. I paid for those maps of Italy
( I am trying to make the image map myself) They are in jpeg but I shall
also get a tif. image,
so I can always modify that if I want. Anyway, my one-man business bought
the
the exclusive copyrights, so I can use these photos where I want and make
all the copies I want.
--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)


http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/






 
Reply With Quote
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:6W5Gb.39619$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> skrev i meddelandet
> news:bsaiuf$baoik$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > in post <news:EA3Gb.39613$(E-Mail Removed)>
> > Luigi Donatello Asero said:
> >
> > > For example the map of Italy on the page
> > > http://www.lavilla.se/

> >
> > theres no map on that page. don't ya just hate frames.
> >
> > > does not have the motorways.

> >

>
> I meant map as "map of Italy" not as " image map" in the example which I
> mentioned above.
> > you cant run off with someone elses map anyway. they'll get lost. find a
> > PD map and adjust it to your needs.

> I did not want to copy that map, I just meant that I have not found any
> better map of Italy on the web.
> As I mentioned, the maps which are on the sites http:/www.italymap.dk
> and http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com were made
>
> for my one-man business, that is Scaiecat Spa Gigi, by a
> cooperative society. I paid for those maps of Italy
> ( I am trying to make the image map myself) They are in jpeg


Sorry, I meant "jpg"

and the other adress was http://www.italymap.dk

I have not seen any map of Italy on the map, which is clearer, small and at
the same time contains so many important information as mine, so the point
is whether it is really possible to make one. The names of the towns and the
motorways are important. It would have taken time for me to get to know for
example how the motorways look like, that means which parts are under
construction and so on.
By the way, I though that you brucie lived in Australia but it seems as you
post from Berlin, donīt you?
How many "brucie" are in this NG?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)


http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html




 
Reply With Quote
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:d16Gb.39620$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:6W5Gb.39619$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> skrev i meddelandet
> > news:bsaiuf$baoik$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > > in post <news:EA3Gb.39613$(E-Mail Removed)>
> > > Luigi Donatello Asero said:
> > >
> > > > For example the map of Italy on the page
> > > > http://www.lavilla.se/
> > >
> > > theres no map on that page. don't ya just hate frames.
> > >
> > > > does not have the motorways.
> > >

> >
> > I meant map as "map of Italy" not as " image map" in the example which I
> > mentioned above.
> > > you cant run off with someone elses map anyway. they'll get lost. find

a
> > > PD map and adjust it to your needs.

> > I did not want to copy that map, I just meant that I have not found any
> > better map of Italy on the web.
> > As I mentioned, the maps which are on the sites http:/www.italymap.dk
> > and http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com were made
> >
> > for my one-man business, that is Scaiecat Spa Gigi, by a
> > cooperative society. I paid for those maps of Italy
> > ( I am trying to make the image map myself) They are in jpeg

>
> Sorry, I meant "jpg"
>
> and the other adress was http://www.italymap.dk
>
> I have not seen any map of Italy on the map, which is clearer, small and

at
> the same time contains so many important information as mine, so the point
> is whether it is really possible to make one. The names of the towns and

the
> motorways are important. It would have taken time for me to get to know

for
> example how the motorways look like, that means which parts are under
> construction and so on.
> By the way, I though that you brucie lived in Australia but it seems as

you
> post from Berlin, donīt you?
> How many "brucie" are in this NG?
>
> --
> Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
>
>
> http://www.italymap.dk
> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html


I meant: "I have not seen any map of Italy on the web, which is clearer,
small and at
the same time contains so many important information as mine, so the point
is whether it is really possible to make one."
The question might be whether I could make a better one by saving the .tif
image which I am going to get as .gif.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)


http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
brucie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003
in post <news:6W5Gb.39619$(E-Mail Removed)>
Luigi Donatello Asero said:

> [http://www.italymap.dk/index.html]
> ( I am trying to make the image map myself)


<p><img src="itally.jpg" width="300" height="328" alt="something" usemap="#itally">
<map name="itally">
<area href="trento.html" shape="rect" coords="84,21,137,37" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="aosta.html" shape="rect" coords="6,32,48,47" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="milano.html" shape="rect" coords="48,42,94,57" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="trieste.html" shape="rect" coords="141,34,195,46" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="venezia.html" shape="rect" coords="109,46,165,55" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="torino.html" shape="rect" coords="13,55,60,67" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="bologna.html" shape="rect" coords="87,71,146,84" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="genova.html" shape="rect" coords="37,77,89,90" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="eirenze.html" shape="rect" coords="88,96,141,108" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="anacona.html" shape="rect" coords="164,101,215,112" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="perugia.html" shape="rect" coords="120,121,173,134" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="aquila.html" shape="rect" coords="144,137,195,150" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="roma.html" shape="rect" coords="127,150,164,164" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="campobasso.html"shape="rect" coords="164,157,242,169" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="bari.html" shape="rect" coords="229,169,263,179" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="napoli.html" shape="rect" coords="163,181,212,194" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="potenza.html" shape="rect" coords="205,193,259,207" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="catanzaro.html" shape="rect" coords="227,244,299,260" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="palermo.html" shape="rect" coords="145,267,206,280" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area href="cagliari.html" shape="rect" coords="51,241,112,258" alt="blah01" title="blah02">
<area shape="default" nohref alt="blah01" title="blah02">
</map>
</p>



--
brucie
24/December/2003 11:41:13 am kilo
 
Reply With Quote
 
brucie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003
in post <news:d16Gb.39620$(E-Mail Removed)>
Luigi Donatello Asero said:

> By the way, I though that you brucie lived in Australia


yes

> but it seems as you post from Berlin, donīt you?


yes. i'm tricky like that.

> How many "brucie" are in this NG?


don't you think one is more than enough?

--
brucie
24/December/2003 11:48:31 am kilo
 
Reply With Quote
 
Luigi Donatello Asero
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> skrev i meddelandet
news:bsar16$afc3b$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> in post <news:6W5Gb.39619$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Luigi Donatello Asero said:
>
> > [http://www.italymap.dk/index.html]
> > ( I am trying to make the image map myself)

>
> <p><img src="itally.jpg" width="300" height="328" alt="something"

usemap="#itally">
> <map name="itally">
> <area href="trento.html" shape="rect" coords="84,21,137,37"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="aosta.html" shape="rect" coords="6,32,48,47"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="milano.html" shape="rect" coords="48,42,94,57"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="trieste.html" shape="rect" coords="141,34,195,46"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="venezia.html" shape="rect" coords="109,46,165,55"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="torino.html" shape="rect" coords="13,55,60,67"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="bologna.html" shape="rect" coords="87,71,146,84"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="genova.html" shape="rect" coords="37,77,89,90"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="eirenze.html" shape="rect" coords="88,96,141,108"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="anacona.html" shape="rect" coords="164,101,215,112"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="perugia.html" shape="rect" coords="120,121,173,134"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="aquila.html" shape="rect" coords="144,137,195,150"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="roma.html" shape="rect" coords="127,150,164,164"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="campobasso.html"shape="rect" coords="164,157,242,169"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="bari.html" shape="rect" coords="229,169,263,179"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="napoli.html" shape="rect" coords="163,181,212,194"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="potenza.html" shape="rect" coords="205,193,259,207"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="catanzaro.html" shape="rect" coords="227,244,299,260"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="palermo.html" shape="rect" coords="145,267,206,280"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area href="cagliari.html" shape="rect" coords="51,241,112,258"

alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> <area shape="default" nohref alt="blah01" title="blah02">
> </map>
> </p>
>
>
>
> --
> brucie
> 24/December/2003 11:41:13 am kilo



I have just began doing the map, brucie. It is on another page.
We were talking about the fact that the map (Landeskarta, wenn Du Deutsch
sprichst) of Italy (image) was dark or clear or something.
How did you calculate all the coordinates so fast? Did you use a software or
not?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)


http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
Eric Bohlman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003
"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:d16Gb.39620$(E-Mail Removed):

> By the way, I though that you brucie lived in Australia but it seems
> as you post from Berlin, donīt you?


The Free University of Berlin offers a free newsserver (info available at
<http://www.individual.net>) used by many people all over the world. It's
fast and reliable. No binaries though (which is probably *why* it's so
fast and reliable and is definitely why they can afford to make it free).
I use it even though my ISP offers a newsserver, simply because it's so
much faster.
 
Reply With Quote
 
brucie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-24-2003
in post <news:2j6Gb.43497$(E-Mail Removed)>
Luigi Donatello Asero said:

> We were talking about the fact that the map (Landeskarta, wenn Du Deutsch
> sprichst) of Italy (image) was dark or clear or something.


at my lowest resolution of 800x600 i find it difficult to read the text.
at my normal browsing resolution of 1152x864 its just a blur except for
"ancona" as it hasn't got any background artifacts.

due to those problems and browsers very poor handling of image maps its
unusable to me. i would need normal links to the pages.

> How did you calculate all the coordinates so fast?


it took me longer to read the names than to work out the coords for each
one.

> Did you use a software or not?


one of my html editors has an image map editor built in

--
brucie
24/December/2003 11:53:19 am kilo
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wx.Image: Couldn't add an image to the image list. Laszlo Zsolt Nagy Python 1 01-26-2005 09:55 PM
Does WebControls.Image actually contain an image? Jim Hammond ASP .Net 1 11-13-2003 01:20 AM
Image can't hold an image? Gary B ASP .Net 3 08-01-2003 01:31 AM
How To Browse for an image file and save it to image server folder Mike John ASP .Net 0 07-28-2003 04:55 PM
Streaming Image data to an image viewer Jerry J ASP .Net 0 07-18-2003 01:33 PM



Advertisments