Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Image map: client-side or server-side (cgi)?

Image map: client-side or server-side (cgi)?

Luigi Donatello Asero

Hi,
I am building the website
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
and http://www.italymap.dk
On the page http://www.italymap.dk/index.html
I want to build an image map where I link everty town which is shown on the
map to a different page.
My question is whether you think that it is better to build it
client-side or server-side with cgi and if you can recommend any site about
server-side image maps.

Best regards

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:59_Fb.43447$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I am building the website
> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
> and http://www.italymap.dk
> On the page http://www.italymap.dk/index.html
> I want to build an image map where I link everty town which is shown on

the
> map to a different page.
> My question is whether you think that it is better to build it
> client-side or server-side with cgi and if you can recommend any site

about
> server-side image maps.
>
> Best regards

On the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/keramikbilder.html
I have an image map which is client-side.

Best regards
--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Luigi Donatello Asero may have written:

> Hi,
> I am building the website
> http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com
> and http://www.italymap.dk
> On the page http://www.italymap.dk/index.html
> I want to build an image map where I link everty town which is shown on
> the map to a different page.
> My question is whether you think that it is better to build it
> client-side or server-side with cgi and if you can recommend any site
> about server-side image maps.
>
> Best regards

There's an interesting article at alistapart right now
about client side maps. Look on the Perl and PHP sites
for tutorials on server side maps.

The decision between client and
server side has a lot to do with
whether the information needs to be processed, instead
of the visitor just calling up static pages through the map.
Client side is faster, but server side can do more.
--
Cheers, m http://www.mbstevens.com

Leif K-Brooks

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> My question is whether you think that it is better to build it
> client-side or server-side with cgi and if you can recommend any site about
> server-side image maps.

If a client-side image map can do what you want, go with that. A
client-side image map is more accessible and faster.

brucie

in post <news:59_Fb.43447$(E-Mail Removed)>
Luigi Donatello Asero said:

> I am building the website http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com

^^^
still

> On the page http://www.italymap.dk/index.html
> I want to build an image map where I link everty town which is shown on the
> map to a different page.

find a better (clearer) map

> My question is whether you think that it is better to build it
> client-side or server-side

client side. server side maps are only useful for complex maps that
require exacting coords. they're even more inaccessible than
client-side.

--
brucie
24/December/2003 05:57:37 am kilo

Luigi Donatello Asero

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> skrev i meddelandet
news:bsa78j$apbs1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> in post <news:59_Fb.43447$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Luigi Donatello Asero said:
>
> > I am building the website http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com

> ^^^
> still
>
> > On the page http://www.italymap.dk/index.html
> > I want to build an image map where I link everty town which is shown on

the
> > map to a different page.

> find a better (clearer) map

I paid to buy the picture of the map of Italy.
It was made for one-man business by another firm.
What do you think that I should tell the seller?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

brucie

in post <news:Wh2Gb.43479$(E-Mail Removed)>
Luigi Donatello Asero said:

>>> http://www.italymap.dk/index.html

>> find a better (clearer) map

> I paid to buy the picture of the map of Italy.

i hope you didn't pay too much

> It was made for one-man business by another firm.

make your own. find a PD map and if needed add the place names yourself
so they're nice and clear.

> What do you think that I should tell the seller?

unless its something that shouldn't be said in front of kiddies its not
really worth saying.

--
brucie
24/December/2003 07:19:34 am kilo

Luigi Donatello Asero

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> skrev i meddelandet
news:bsabn5$beq3v$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> in post <news:Wh2Gb.43479$(E-Mail Removed)>

> >> find a better (clearer) map

> > I paid to buy the picture of the map of Italy.

> i hope you didn't pay too much

How much would you have paid for such a map?

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

Luigi Donatello Asero

"brucie" <****@bruciesusenetshit.info> skrev i meddelandet
news:bsabn5$beq3v$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> in post <news:Wh2Gb.43479$(E-Mail Removed)>

> >> find a better (clearer) map

> > I paid to buy the picture of the map of Italy.

> i hope you didn't pay too much
>
> > It was made for one-man business by another firm.

> make your own. find a PD map and if needed add the place names yourself
> so they're nice and clear.

As a matter of fact, I have not found any better map of Italy either on the
web which contains both motorways and the capitals of each Italian region
and which is updated at the same time.

--
Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)

http://www.italymap.dk
http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

brucie

in post <news:Nt2Gb.39608$(E-Mail Removed)>
Luigi Donatello Asero said:

>>> I paid to buy the picture of the map of Italy.

>> i hope you didn't pay too much

> How much would you have paid for such a map?

nothing. it wouldn't take much to create one myself of a much higher
quality.

--
brucie
24/December/2003 07:39:39 am kilo