Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > 3 column css problem

3 column css problem

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

First off, from all of me, to all of you, may I wish you all very merry
Christmas.

Now for a small problem.

When it's not uploaded to the server, the following page

http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/re.../archives.html looks fine
(all three columns on the right are equally spaced). However, once onto
the server, the results are pretty messy (as you can see).

The css file is the same on the local machine as is on the server.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem?

For ease, the bits controlling the columns look like this

#left {
float:left;
width:33%;
margin:0;
padding:0;
}

#right {
float: right;
width:33%;
margin:0;
padding:0;
}

#middle {
margin: 0 60px;
}

Would it be a better idea to be defining all three columns as finite
distances (i.e. 110px per column)?

TTFN

Paul

Toby A Inkster

Paul F. Johnson wrote:

> http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/re.../archives.html looks fine
> (all three columns on the right are equally spaced).

Huh? I see only two columns.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

William Tasso

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> Paul F. Johnson wrote:
>
>> http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/re.../archives.html looks fine
>> (all three columns on the right are equally spaced).

> Huh? I see only two columns.

maybe that's the problem ;o)

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

brucie

in post <news(E-Mail Removed)>
Paul F. Johnson said:

> First off, from all of me, to all of you, may I wish you all very merry
> Christmas.

i was going to help you until you said that

--
brucie
23/December/2003 10:55:10 pm kilo

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

By the process of certain things happening, Toby A Inkster managed to
say...

> Paul F. Johnson wrote:
>
>> http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/re.../archives.html looks fine
>> (all three columns on the right are equally spaced).

> Huh? I see only two columns.

Look on the right side column under the words "Films and Interviews". It
should look

[title] [title] [title]
[title] [title] [title]

But it's coming out

[ti [title] [title]
tle] [title] [title]

TTFN

Paul
--
One OS to fool them all
One browser to find them

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

By the process of certain things happening, brucie managed to say...

> in post <news(E-Mail Removed)>
> Paul F. Johnson said:
>
>> First off, from all of me, to all of you, may I wish you all very merry
>> Christmas.

> i was going to help you until you said that

Fair enough. It possibly was a bit offensive to those who don't celebrate
the festive period for whatever reason. If you're (or anyone else who has
read and been offended by the line) one of these, I'm truely sorry for the
offence caused.

TTFN

Paul

--
One OS to fool them all
One browser to find them
One email client to bring them all
And through security holes, blind them...

Steve R.

Paul F. Johnson wrote in message ...
> Look on the right side column under the words "Films and Interviews". It
> should look
> [title] [title] [title]

Looks fine to me - IE6 at 1024x768 and 800x600

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

By the process of certain things happening, Steve R. managed to say...

> Looks fine to me - IE6 at 1024x768 and 800x600

This is really bemusing me.

Moz 1.5a on the laptop, local looks fine, server looks wrong
Moz 1.5a on this box, local looks wrong, server looks fine!

It must be something in the water...

TTFN

Paul

--
One OS to fool them all
One browser to find them
One email client to bring them all
And through security holes, blind them...

Genomega

"Paul F. Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> By the process of certain things happening, brucie managed to say...
>
> > in post <news(E-Mail Removed)>
> > Paul F. Johnson said:
> >
> >> First off, from all of me, to all of you, may I wish you all very merry
> >> Christmas.

> > i was going to help you until you said that

> Fair enough. It possibly was a bit offensive to those who don't celebrate
> the festive period for whatever reason. If you're (or anyone else who has
> read and been offended by the line) one of these, I'm truely sorry for the
> offence caused.
>
> TTFN
>
> Paul

Don't worry about it people like this have issues...

Titus A Ducksass

<snip>

Looks like the text is wider than the column.....