Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Keeping columns the same length

Reply
Thread Tools

Keeping columns the same length

 
 
Fluxcore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
I have a layout, 3 columns wide, using CSS with no tables. The center
column is much larger (longer) then the left and right. But I want the
the left and right to be as long as the middle, is there a way to do
this? Is it possible to inherit the middle columns length or something?
Thank you for your help.

Nicholas
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
Fluxcore wrote:

> I have a layout, 3 columns wide, using CSS with no tables. The center
> column is much larger (longer) then the left and right. But I want the
> the left and right to be as long as the middle, is there a way to do
> this? Is it possible to inherit the middle columns length or something?
> Thank you for your help.


> Nicholas



you could try
div.left, .middle, .right {width:100px; height100px; float:left;}
div.left {background:red;}
div.middle {background:white;}
div.right {background:blue;}

Works just fine for me.




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
brucie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
in post <news:(E-Mail Removed)>
Fluxcore said:

> I have a layout, 3 columns wide, using CSS with no tables. The center
> column is much larger (longer) then the left and right. But I want the
> the left and right to be as long as the middle, is there a way to do
> this?


not supported by IE
http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.in...ls-thingy.html


--
brucie
22/December/2003 02:39:22 am kilo
 
Reply With Quote
 
Leif K-Brooks
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
Richard wrote:
> you could try
> div.left, .middle, .right {width:100px; height100px; float:left;}
> div.left {background:red;}
> div.middle {background:white;}
> div.right {background:blue;}
>
> Works just fine for me.


And will, as long as all three columns contain pixel content (images) of
less than 100x100px. If they contain anything larger, such as text or
larger images, your layout will break.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Whitecrest
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
In article <bs4irm$9g9kd$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
****@bruciesusenetshit.info says...
> not supported by IE
> http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.in...ls-thingy.html


"This site is designed for and will look much better in a modern browser
such as Opera or Mozilla, but it is accessible to any browser or
Internet device."

It did not work on my browser at all.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
Richard wrote:

> Fluxcore wrote:


>> I have a layout, 3 columns wide, using CSS with no tables. The center
>> column is much larger (longer) then the left and right. But I want the
>> the left and right to be as long as the middle, is there a way to do
>> this? Is it possible to inherit the middle columns length or something?
>> Thank you for your help.


>> Nicholas



> you could try
> div.left, .middle, .right {width:100px; height100px; float:left;}
> div.left {background:red;}
> div.middle {background:white;}
> div.right {background:blue;}


> Works just fine for me.


Ok so I have a minor typo in there. You know how to fix it.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
brucie wrote:

> in post <news:(E-Mail Removed)>
> Fluxcore said:


>> I have a layout, 3 columns wide, using CSS with no tables. The center
>> column is much larger (longer) then the left and right. But I want the
>> the left and right to be as long as the middle, is there a way to do
>> this?


> not supported by IE
> http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.in...ls-thingy.html


Oh?

http://1-large-world.com/samples/3cols.html

Works just fine in IE 6.


> --
> brucie
> 22/December/2003 02:39:22 am kilo



 
Reply With Quote
 
David Dorward
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
Whitecrest wrote:
>> http://moreshit.bruciesusenetshit.in...ls-thingy.html

>
> "This site is designed for and will look much better in a modern browser
> such as Opera or Mozilla, but it is accessible to any browser or
> Internet device."
>
> It did not work on my browser at all.


It might be easier to work out why it doesn't work if you (a) State what
your browser is and (b) be more specific then 'did not work'.

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>> you could try
>> div.left, .middle, .right {width:100px; height100px; float:left;}
>> div.left {background:red;}
>> div.middle {background:white;}
>> div.right {background:blue;}
>>
>> Works just fine for me.


> And will, as long as all three columns contain pixel content (images) of
> less than 100x100px. If they contain anything larger, such as text or
> larger images, your layout will break.



To get around that, you make your divisions equal to what the largest one
is.
If you don't like that idea, create another division for the extra stuff
such as images.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
Leif K-Brooks wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>> you could try
>> div.left, .middle, .right {width:100px; height100px; float:left;}
>> div.left {background:red;}
>> div.middle {background:white;}
>> div.right {background:blue;}
>>
>> Works just fine for me.


> And will, as long as all three columns contain pixel content (images) of
> less than 100x100px. If they contain anything larger, such as text or
> larger images, your layout will break.


You mean like this?
http://1-large-world.com/samples/3cols-1.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keeping 2 user controls of the same class synced yashgt@gmail.com ASP .Net 2 01-10-2007 11:05 AM
growing <div>s keeping then ending at the same stop jason@cyberpine.com HTML 0 09-25-2006 10:21 AM
problem keeping the page the same after updating a datagrid marty.overdear@intergraph.com ASP .Net 1 10-11-2005 04:59 PM
Keeping DataGrid Columns through Postback Allen K ASP .Net Datagrid Control 3 04-19-2004 04:52 PM
Keeping objects between requests within the same session Don ASP .Net 3 02-26-2004 09:45 PM



Advertisments