Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Choice of languages

Choice of languages

R. Weisbloom

I have to write some websites that give the reader their choice of languages.
English and French. What is the best ways to go about it.
I was thinking of on the home page have buttons with the choice of languages, when the user decides which language they want direct them to that web page.
This means writing 2 websites.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Robert Weisbloom

David Dorward

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/multi/index-en.htm

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

brucie

in post <news:363Fb.26394$(E-Mail Removed) m>
R. Weisbloom said:

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
> charset=3Dwindows-1255">
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have to write some websites that give =
> the reader=20
> their choice of languages.</FONT></DIV>

please post in plain text only and:

Crosspost, don't multipost

brucie
21/December/2003 10:02:25 am kilo

Sjeef

"R. Weisbloom" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:363Fb.26394$(E-Mail Removed) ...
I have to write some websites that give the reader their choice of
languages.
English and French. What is the best ways to go about it.
I was thinking of on the home page have buttons with the choice of
languages, when the user decides which language they want direct them to
that web page.
This means writing 2 websites.
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Robert Weisbloom

Look here for an example:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sjeef

In Dutch, English, German and Spanish.

--
Gerard Schaefers
Amsterdam-NL

JustAnotherGuy

Sjeef wrote:
> I was thinking of on the home page have buttons with the choice of
> languages, when the user decides which language they want direct them to
> that web page.
> This means writing 2 websites.
> Does anyone have any other suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Robert Weisbloom
>

> Look here for an example:
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~sjeef
> In Dutch, English, German and Spanish.

Ay, and they're all separate versions of the site. 4 websites.

Jukka K. Korpela

"R. Weisbloom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have to write some websites that give the reader their choice of
> languages. English and French. What is the best ways to go about
> it.

Make each page in English contain a link to the corresponding page in
French, and vice versa. Use the page's title (in the "other" language)
as the link text.

There are things you could add on top of this, but this is the start,
and the basis for anything else.

> I was thinking of on the home page have buttons with the choice
> of languages,

Don't.

> when the user decides which language they want direct
> them to that web page.

There's no reason to have a separate page for language selection when
you only have two languages. If the user gets the English version, it's
the one most of us want (sorry, francophones, but that's the way things
are at present), and those who prefer the French version can access it
with one click, just as with the separate language choice model, except
that now they have some idea of the page's content. (Most francophones
understand some English.)

> This means writing 2 websites.

It means writing two versions of a site. That's what you are doing,
right? Surely the trouble of linking the pages together is very small
as compared with the skill and labor needed for creating the two
language versions.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

DU

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> "R. Weisbloom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have to write some websites that give the reader their choice of
>>languages. English and French. What is the best ways to go about
>>it.

> Make each page in English contain a link to the corresponding page in
> French, and vice versa.

I certainly agree with you on this. The HTML 4.01 specs suggests to use
<link rel="alternate" ...> E.g. from an english document:
<link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="path/filename.html"
hreflang="pt" lang="pt" title="The title written in Portuguese language">

The good side of this is that Site Navigation bar can render such <link>
and indicate translated versions of pages. Some browsers do support
this: Mozilla for one.

W3C Quality Assurance tip: Use <link>s in your document
http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/use-links

12.3.3 Links and search engines
"Authors may use the LINK element to provide a variety of information to
search engines, including:
* Links to alternate versions of a document, written in another
human language."
has several examples
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.3.3

Use the page's title (in the "other" language)
> as the link text.
>
> There are things you could add on top of this, but this is the start,
> and the basis for anything else.

[snipped]

DU

picayunish

DU wrote:

> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>
>> "R. Weisbloom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>> I have to write some websites that give the reader their choice of
>>> languages. English and French. What is the best ways to go about
>>> it.

>> Make each page in English contain a link to the corresponding page in
>> French, and vice versa.

> I certainly agree with you on this. The HTML 4.01 specs suggests to use
> <link rel="alternate" ...> E.g. from an english document:
> <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" href="path/filename.html"
> hreflang="pt" lang="pt" title="The title written in Portuguese language">
>
> The good side of this is that Site Navigation bar can render such <link>
> and indicate translated versions of pages. Some browsers do support
> this: Mozilla for one.
>
> W3C Quality Assurance tip: Use <link>s in your document
> http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/use-links
>
> 12.3.3 Links and search engines
> "Authors may use the LINK element to provide a variety of information to
> search engines, including:
> * Links to alternate versions of a document, written in another
> human language."
> has several examples
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/links.html#h-12.3.3

That's interesting.
Thanx for the links.
--
Edwin van der Vaart

Jukka K. Korpela

DU <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The HTML 4.01 specs suggests to use
> <link rel="alternate" ...>

I have mixed feelings about this. Since the large majority of people
are using browsers that don't support that idea, I think you should
have explicit <a href> links as well - unless you are authoring for a
narrow environment where all people use modern enough browsers.
And when you have <a href> links, the <link> links are duplication,
potentially even confusing.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Toby A Inkster

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> I have mixed feelings about this. I think you should have explicit <a
> href> links as well

Oh of course! Whenever <link> elements are used for navigation there ought
to be redundant text links for those browsers that don't understand them.

It is an interesting thought that there are often debates on whether
Internet Explorer "supports" XHTML 1.1. I mean, certainly with particular
MIME types, Internet Explorer can be made to display certain XHTML 1.1
pages correctly, but is this support? Anyway, in all that debate, we
forget that Internet Explorer doen't even support HTML 2.0 yet.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS