Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > order in which css code is placed

order in which css code is placed

Leslie

When writing css code, either in an external stylesheet, or in the
head of the document, does it make a difference what order the code is
placed on the page?

It makes sense to me to put the code in the order in which it will be
used on the .html page, but I got to wondering tonight if it really
makes a difference in how the pages loads and/or displays.

Just curious......

Thanks,

Leslie
"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person."

brucie

in post <news:(E-Mail Removed) >

yes http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cascade.html#cascade

--
brucie
15/December/2003 10:57:46 am kilo

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named brucie:

> in post <news:(E-Mail Removed) >
> Leslie said:
>

>>When writing css code, either in an external stylesheet, or in the
>>head of the document, does it make a difference what order the code is
>>placed on the page?

> yes http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/cascade.html#cascade

...and where cascading is not an issue, I always write alphabetically
so modification is easier.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

brucie

in post <news:928Db.14567$(E-Mail Removed)>
Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:

> ..and where cascading is not an issue, I always write alphabetically
> so modification is easier.

i write as the rules appear in the page so i know if a class is at the
bottom of my css its used near the bottom of the html page somewhere or
vice versa. very hand when you come back to a page 12 months later. i
also usually use separate files for styles and colors. makes changing
colors a lot easier.

--
brucie
15/December/2003 11:24:31 am kilo

Toby A Inkster

brucie wrote:

> i write as the rules appear in the page so i know if a class is at the
> bottom of my css its used near the bottom of the html page somewhere or
> vice versa.

Ditto, although for a lot of inline styles, they may be used several
times or not at all on a page and scattered around in lots of places.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS