Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Unable to Validate at w3.org

Unable to Validate at w3.org

jeff

Odd... I'm not sure why my pages are unable to validate at w3.org. I
have the header placed in there but get the following error message
for the site:

http://www.thelaw.com

I added the following at the header:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

and get the error message below:

I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information
it is impossible to validate the document. The sources I tried are:

The HTTP Content-Type field.
The XML Declaration.
The HTML "META" element.
And I even tried to autodetect it using the algorithm defined in
Appendix F of the XML 1.0 Recommendation.

Since none of these sources yielded any usable information, I will not
be able to validate this document. Sorry. Please make sure you specify
the character encoding in use.

David Dorward

jeff wrote:

> Odd... I'm not sure why my pages are unable to validate at w3.org.

> I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
> the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information
> it is impossible to validate the document. The sources I tried are:

It tells you why.

http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/charset.html

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

Hywel Jenkins

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Odd... I'm not sure why my pages are unable to validate at w3.org. I
> have the header placed in there but get the following error message
> for the site:
>
> http://www.thelaw.com
>
> I added the following at the header:

> and get the error message below:
>

> I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
> the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information
> it is impossible to validate the document. The sources I tried are:
>
> The HTTP Content-Type field.

Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php

jeff

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 20:40:56 -0000, Hywel Jenkins
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Odd... I'm not sure why my pages are unable to validate at w3.org. I
>> have the header placed in there but get the following error message
>> for the site:
>>
>> http://www.thelaw.com
>>
>> I added the following at the header:
>>
>> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
>> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>>
>> and get the error message below:
>>

>> I was not able to extract a character encoding labeling from any of
>> the valid sources for such information. Without encoding information
>> it is impossible to validate the document. The sources I tried are:
>>
>> The HTTP Content-Type field.

Many thanks... sometimes you look things over a thousand times....

Andreas Prilop

Hywel Jenkins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> The HTTP Content-Type field.

"meta http-equiv" is only an ersatz. That's why it's called "equiv".
http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/...t/ns-burp.html explains
the difference to you. See also
http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset.html

--
Top-posting.
What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?