Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Bah, still having trouble (CSS)

Bah, still having trouble (CSS)

bjg

Well, i've nearly finished. There's still a few problems I need to work
out and make sure it's all compatible. The main one here is that in IE,
the table displaying the hosting plans on the front page is miles down the
page, but in Mozilla, Firebird and Opera, it's where it's meant to be.
Anyway here it is, it's the site i'm doing for my mate's business:

http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html

I don't have a copy of IE handy, but was able to view it on a Windows
machine tonight and noticed the table is not where I need it to be.
The browsers I mentioned earlier display it fine.

Anyone got any workarounds for this? The CSS files are shocking i
know, but i will fix it all up later.

Also, what are people's thoughts on the site? Is it any good or not
professional enough? I know i've only uploaded one page, but you get the
general gist of the site. It's my first attempt at taking the plunge into
XHTML/CSS no-tables zone.

bjg

Anyone?? Here's the link to the CSS file:

http://www.hostforge.net/~bjg/HostFo...les/hfsite.css

ft

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 02:23:07 +1000, bjg <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Well, i've nearly finished. There's still a few problems I need to work
>out and make sure it's all compatible. The main one here is that in IE,
>the table displaying the hosting plans on the front page is miles down the
>page, but in Mozilla, Firebird and Opera, it's where it's meant to be.
>Anyway here it is, it's the site i'm doing for my mate's business:
>
>http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html

Hmm....dunno but, how 'bout wrapping the Table in a <div
class="tableloc">, where the "tableclass" CSS is:
..tableloc {
position: absolute; top: 390px; left: 260px;
}
Something like that.

bjg

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:32:50 -0500, ft wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 02:23:07 +1000, bjg <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Well, i've nearly finished. There's still a few problems I need to work
>>out and make sure it's all compatible. The main one here is that in IE,
>>the table displaying the hosting plans on the front page is miles down the
>>page, but in Mozilla, Firebird and Opera, it's where it's meant to be.
>>Anyway here it is, it's the site i'm doing for my mate's business:
>>
>>http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html
>>

> Hmm....dunno but, how 'bout wrapping the Table in a <div
> class="tableloc">, where the "tableclass" CSS is:
> .tableloc {
> position: absolute; top: 390px; left: 260px;
> }
> Something like that.

Hmm, doesn't seem to work. The problem seems to lie with the
'width="100%"' in the table tag. If i remove that, the table is where it's
meant to be, vertically aligned up the top. But as soon as i add the
width it drops to the bottom. Bloody pain! Anymore ideas?

Cheers

Toby A Inkster

bjg wrote:

> Hmm, doesn't seem to work. The problem seems to lie with the
> 'width="100%"' in the table tag. If i remove that, the table is where it's
> meant to be, vertically aligned up the top. But as soon as i add the
> width it drops to the bottom. Bloody pain! Anymore ideas?

Tried 'width="99%"'?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

brucie

in post <news(E-Mail Removed) de.on.net>
bjg said:

> http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html

the logo looks too cheap and nasty. i think it would improve a great
deal with better anti-aliasing. i especially don't like the style of the
F. it needs to be "heavier" to reflect the nature of a forge.

--
brucie
14/December/2003 06:59:57 pm kilo

brucie

in post <news:brh9bn$3a7uc$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
brucie said:

>> http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html

> the logo looks too cheap and nasty. i think it would improve a great
> deal with better anti-aliasing. i especially don't like the style of the
> F. it needs to be "heavier" to reflect the nature of a forge.

and its way too big. you don't need a big logo. small enough to keep the
prices "above the fold" would be good.

--
brucie
14/December/2003 07:18:31 pm kilo

brucie

in post <news:brha3m$38mmd$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>
brucie said:

>>> http://hostforge.net/~bjg/HostForge.html

>> the logo looks too cheap and nasty. i think it would improve a great
>> deal with better anti-aliasing. i especially don't like the style of the
>> F. it needs to be "heavier" to reflect the nature of a forge.

> and its way too big. you don't need a big logo. small enough to keep the
> prices "above the fold" would be good.

not sure about the color either. green just doesn't say "forge" to me.

--
brucie
14/December/2003 07:22:03 pm kilo

bjg

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:22:50 +1000, brucie wrote:

> in post <news:brha3m$38mmd$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>

>>> the logo looks too cheap and nasty. i think it would improve a great
>>> deal with better anti-aliasing. i especially don't like the style of the
>>> F. it needs to be "heavier" to reflect the nature of a forge.

>> and its way too big. you don't need a big logo. small enough to keep the
>> prices "above the fold" would be good.

> not sure about the color either. green just doesn't say "forge" to me.

Thanks for that. Just curious, what colours say "forge" to you? I actually
didn't design the logo, got a friend to, and have designed the site around
the logo and used that same colours as the logo. I was actually thinking
dark greens and greys, but what do you think? I'm open for any criticism.

Cheers

bjg

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:49:42 +0000, Toby A Inkster wrote:

> bjg wrote:
>
>> Hmm, doesn't seem to work. The problem seems to lie with the
>> 'width="100%"' in the table tag. If i remove that, the table is where it's
>> meant to be, vertically aligned up the top. But as soon as i add the
>> width it drops to the bottom. Bloody pain! Anymore ideas?

> Tried 'width="99%"'?

Cool, that worked.. but why does it do that? Is this a nifty CSS trick i
should keep in mind, or is my code just bad?