Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Tool Question

Tool Question

andre.norman

Hi Everyone,

Not a web developer so your input is greatly appreciated.

Most of the stuff I will be putting on the web will be text only...no
grapics, no audio,...just TEXT. So TEXT formatting is the key requirement
here.

Is there a light weight WYSIWYG HTML editor out there that will do all the
following.

1. Not generate piles of vendor specific HTML/css code (ie MS Word)
2. Will automatically apply font tags to key words in my document.
ie my work documents contain the key words SELECT, FROM, WHERE
.... (you guested SQL commands)
I would like all sql commands to automatically trigger a
font = blue HTML tag.
I dont want to have to manually put in the tags or select
every occurance of the above words and change their color to blue. This is
a key requirement.
If there is not editor out there that can accomplish this,
is there perhaps a perl / unix or awk script that will read a file and apply
font tags to key words?
3. When I hit the enter key will not create a <P> tag...UNLESS I tell it
too!!! (least important feature...i mean non feature)

Thank you in advance for your expert opinion.

AJ

brucie

in post <news:F2uBb.133127$(E-Mail Removed) >
andre.norman said:

> Is there a light weight WYSIWYG HTML editor

you cant author html properly except by hand.

--
brucie
10/December/2003 04:37:29 pm kilo

David Dorward

andre.norman wrote:

> Is there a light weight WYSIWYG HTML editor out there that will do all the
> following.
>
> 1. Not generate piles of vendor specific HTML/css code (ie MS Word)

Amaya

> 2. Will automatically apply font tags to key words in my document.
> ie my work documents contain the key words SELECT, FROM,
> WHERE
> ... (you guested SQL commands)
> I would like all sql commands to automatically trigger a
> font = blue HTML tag.

<code> e.g.:

rabbits='brown'; </code>

With a style sheet, perhaps:

code.sql { font-family: monospace; color: black; background-color: #ccc; }
code.sql code.keyword { color: #aaf; background-color: white; }

> is there perhaps a perl / unix or awk script that will read a file and
> apply font tags to key words?

#!/usr/bin/perl
while (<STDIN>) {
$_ =~ s/(SELECT|FROM|WHERE)/<code class="keyword">\1<\/code>/g;
print $_;
}

Call with: perl myScript.pl < infile > outfile

--
David Dorward <http://dorward.me.uk/>

Toby A Inkster

andre.norman wrote:

> If there is not editor out there that can accomplish this,
> is there perhaps a perl / unix or awk script that will read a file and apply
> font tags to key words?

Use this command:

sed -i 's#SELECT#<code class="sqlkeyword">SELECT<\/code>#g' file.html

To go through file.html and replace every occurance of 'SELECT' with
'<code class="sqlkeyword">SELECT</code>'.

The '-i' parameter DOES NOT mean 'case-insensitive', it means 'edit the
file inline' rather than dumping the result to STDOUT.

Then add this to your style sheet:

code.sqlkeyword {
color: blue;
background-color: inherit;
font-family: monospace;
font-weight: bold;
}

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Whitecrest

In article <br6f14$26vf9k$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, brucie01
@bruciesusenetshit.info says...
> > Is there a light weight WYSIWYG HTML editor

> you cant author html properly except by hand.

Or you can use a WYSIWYG editor and code the exact same way. Only
faster....

(it's a tool man)

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Owen Jacobson

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 07:28:41 +0000, David Dorward wrote:

> #!/usr/bin/perl
> while (<STDIN>) {
> $_ =~ s/(SELECT|FROM|WHERE)/<code class="keyword">\1<\/code>/g;
> print $_;
> }
>

> Call with: perl myScript.pl < infile > outfile

Minor gotcha with this, that caught me up once: if you put the same
filename for both infile and outfile you will end up with an empty file
(under most shells). Reasons why best left to the imagination and the
docs for fopen(3).

brucie

in post <news:(E-Mail Removed) t>
Whitecrest said:

>> you cant author html properly except by hand.

> Or you can use a WYSIWYG editor

HTML is not a DTP language. <pokes out tongue/>

> and code the exact same way.

why go to the overhead of a WYSINWYG if you're going to use it to hand
code?

> Only faster....

<cough>bullshit</cough>

--
brucie
10/December/2003 10:12:50 pm kilo

Leif K-Brooks

David Dorward wrote:
> while (<STDIN>) {

Why not use "while (<>) {" instead?

Steve R.

Whitecrest wrote in message ...
> Or you can use a WYSIWYG editor and code the exact same way.

There was this *free* download of a WYSIWYG editor mentioned on some of the
other HTML newsgroups a couple of day ago.

Considering it's free it's very good, *provided* you check the HTML as you go
along.

Here's the copied post below the line ...

For those that need a decent WYSIWYG editor, our's is free now:

http://wojanware.com

Whitecrest

In article <br72qj$1902$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, brucie01
@bruciesusenetshit.info says...
> >> you cant author html properly except by hand.

> > Or you can use a WYSIWYG editor

> HTML is not a DTP language. <pokes out tongue/>
> > and code the exact same way.

> why go to the overhead of a WYSINWYG if you're going to use it to hand
> code?

I don't, It is not either use the text editor or use the WYSIWYG
interface. You can use both depending on what I am doing.

> > Only faster....

> <cough>bullshit</cough>

Bullshit for you maybe, not for me or millions of other users. Do you
get mad when someone drives a different car than you do, or when someone
uses a different saw than you do? It is a tool man. Different people
find different tools useful.

The tool does not produce a web site, the user does. FP, Dreamweaver
and Front page all create shitty code when in the hands of a shitty
coder. They all produce perfect accessible, validated code too.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com