Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Unwanted indentation

Unwanted indentation

Daan

On the following page, I have trouble with some unwanted indentation.
Please look at the box "Login" at the left side of the website. It has
three lines of text, of which the last two are indented a little. I
can't figure out why this indentation occurs but I *do* want to get rid
of it! Removing the <strong>- or <a>-element from the text seems to make
the indentation disappear, but this is of course not what I want. I've
tested the site with IE6 and Firebird 0.7.

Website: http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~stolp/cpl2/index.html
Style: http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~stolp/...iles/style.css

Can anyone help me out here? Thanks in advance.

--
Daan Stolp

Steve Pugh

"Daan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On the following page, I have trouble with some unwanted indentation.
>Please look at the box "Login" at the left side of the website. It has
>three lines of text, of which the last two are indented a little. I
>can't figure out why this indentation occurs but I *do* want to get rid
>of it! Removing the <strong>- or <a>-element from the text seems to make
>the indentation disappear, but this is of course not what I want. I've
>tested the site with IE6 and Firebird 0.7.
>
>Website: http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~stolp/cpl2/index.html
>Style: http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~stolp/...iles/style.css

Your styles contain:
..section * {
padding-left: 4px;
padding-right: 4px;
}

So that's 4px padding-left inside each and every element within the
..section element. In this case that means 4px padding-left inside the
Hence the extra indent.

Steve

Daan

>> On the following page, I have trouble with some unwanted indentation.
>> Please look at the box "Login" at the left side of the website. It
>> has three lines of text, of which the last two are indented a
>> little. I can't figure out why this indentation occurs but I *do*
>> want to get rid of it! Removing the <strong>- or <a>-element from
>> the text seems to make the indentation disappear, but this is of
>> course not what I want. I've tested the site with IE6 and Firebird
>> 0.7.
>>
>> Website: http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~stolp/cpl2/index.html
>> Style: http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~stolp/...iles/style.css

> Your styles contain:
> .section * {
> padding-left: 4px;
> padding-right: 4px;
> }
>
> So that's 4px padding-left inside each and every element within the
> .section element. In this case that means 4px padding-left inside the
> Hence the extra indent.

Thanks Steve, I've rewritten part of my stylesheet, now it works
perfectly! (Not in the on line version btw, I've just posted the site
there so you guys could check it out.)

--
Daan Stolp

remove overall indentation preserving reletive indentation Jesse B. Ruby 2 03-27-2010 07:23 PM
DataList Indentation SJ ASP .Net 2 11-04-2005 12:16 AM
Indentation style Gunter Ganscher HTML 11 03-01-2005 01:32 AM
[Fwd: Indentation] jacov Java 0 07-22-2004 03:22 PM
List Indentation Jay HTML 5 04-21-2004 02:49 PM

Advertisments