Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > newbie question

newbie question

John D.

Can someone steer a newbie in the right direction, please?

I'm trying to create a simple web site to check news items everyday. I did
something wrong, because the default "main" page does not show up in the
frame, and the contents items come up as a "pop up" instead of in the frame.

Regards,
John

home page:
----------

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>HOME</TITLE>
<FRAMESET COLS="150,*">
<FRAME NAME="contents" SRC="Contents.html"
<FRAME NAME="main" SRC="http://news.google.com/">
</FRAMESET>
</HTML>

contents page:
---------------

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Contents</TITLE>
<BASE TARGET="main">
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<BR><A HREF="http://www.nasdaq.com/econoday/index.html"> Econ. Rpt.
Clndr.</A>

<BR>

<BR><A HREF="http://www.1stheadlines.com/index.htm"> Top Breaking News.</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/"> AP Breaking</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://news.google.com/"> Google News</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://www.cnn.com/">CNN</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://www.excite.com/">Excite</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://news.yahoo.com/">Yahoo News</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://newsmax.com/">NewsMax</A>
<BR><A
HREF="http://news.lycos.com/news/headlines.asp?section=Breaking&firstStory=1
">Lycos News</A>
<BR><A
HREF="http://breakingnews.nypost.com/dynamic/fronts/HOME?SITE=NYNYP&SECTION=
HOME">New York Post</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://www.drudgereport.com/">Drudge Report</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://www.usatoday.com/news/front.htm">USA Today</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/">Guardian</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://www.7am.com/"> 7am</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWS/home.html"> Canadian News</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://www.time.com/time/index.html">Time</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://www.wired.com/news/">Wired</A>
<BR><A HREF="http://www.wn.com/">World News</A>

<BR><A HREF="http://50.lycos.com/">Lycos 50</A>

</BODY>
</HTML>

Toby A Inkster

John D. wrote:

> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
> <TITLE>HOME</TITLE>
> <FRAMESET COLS="150,*">
> <FRAME NAME="contents" SRC="Contents.html"
> <FRAME NAME="main" SRC="http://news.google.com/">
> </FRAMESET>
> </HTML>

You missed out the '>' from the first frame.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

brucie

in post <news:d%IAb.18919$(E-Mail Removed) t>
John D. said:

> Can someone steer a newbie in the right direction, please?

yes, don't use frames.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzo...eb/frames.html
http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=2
http://david.us-lot.org/www/frames/

--
brucie
08/December/2003 08:56:38 am kilo

Whitecrest

In article <br0b9i$25rf92$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, brucie01
@bruciesusenetshit.info says...
> > Can someone steer a newbie in the right direction, please?

> yes, don't use frames.

brucie, do you think he should use frames?
--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

brucie

in post <news:(E-Mail Removed) t>
Whitecrest said:

>>> Can someone steer a newbie in the right direction, please?

>> yes, don't use frames.

> brucie, do you think he should use frames?

personally i don't care but the little voices say i have to kill him if
he does so i would recommend against using frames.

--
brucie
08/December/2003 10:59:54 am kilo

Whitecrest

In article <br0ihm$28b72o$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, brucie01
@bruciesusenetshit.info says...
> >> yes, don't use frames.

> > brucie, do you think he should use frames?

> personally i don't care but the little voices say i have to kill him if
> he does so i would recommend against using frames.

My uncle had little voices like that.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com