Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Changing individual table cell or row borders with CSS

Changing individual table cell or row borders with CSS

news frontiernet.net

I have tried using the CSS border controls to make certain table cell
borders like top and left dissapear or certain table row bottom borders to
thicken, like very third row.

But, either I am not using the right syntax, or this does not work this way.

Can this sort of thing be done?

If so, does anyone have an example?

Sid Ismail

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 23:27:37 GMT, "news frontiernet.net"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: certain table row bottom borders to
: thicken, like very third row.

..thick {border-bottom: 5px solid blue;}

then each 3rd row...

Sid

news frontiernet.net

This sounds like it SHOULD work.

But when I plug this into FrontPage2002 by copy/paste to make sure there are
no syntax errors, it does not work.

Possibly this is not cross-browser?

Right now I dont have the example on internet. But, I can get it there
tomorrow.

Thanks tho.

"Sid Ismail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 23:27:37 GMT, "news frontiernet.net"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : certain table row bottom borders to
> : thicken, like very third row.
>
> .thick {border-bottom: 5px solid blue;}
>
> then each 3rd row...
>
> Sid

Sid Ismail

:
: But when I plug this into FrontPage2002 by copy/paste to make sure there are
: no syntax errors, it does not work.
:
: Possibly this is not cross-browser?
:
: Right now I dont have the example on internet. But, I can get it there
: tomorrow.

Please bottom post: post your reply at the bottom of the previous post, and
snip out irrelevanl stuff.

FrontPage is bad news, btw. Frontpage to the Internet is like what the CIA
is to America's image.

Provide a URL when you can?

Sid

news frontiernet.net

"Sid Ismail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 05:30:00 GMT, "news frontiernet.net"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : This sounds like it SHOULD work.
> :
> : But when I plug this into FrontPage2002 by copy/paste to make sure there

are
> : no syntax errors, it does not work.
> :
> : Possibly this is not cross-browser?
> :
> : Right now I dont have the example on internet. But, I can get it there
> : tomorrow.
>

> Please bottom post: post your reply at the bottom of the previous post,

and
> snip out irrelevanl stuff.
>
> FrontPage is bad news, btw. Frontpage to the Internet is like what the

CIA
> is to America's image.
>
> Provide a URL when you can?
>
> Sid

Here is the URL for the example where I tried to implement that idea

http://www.wgtn.net/tablecellborders/

Am I doing something wrog?

Sid Ismail

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 01:07:25 GMT, "news frontiernet.net"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:
: "Sid Ismail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 05:30:00 GMT, "news frontiernet.net"
: > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >
: > : This sounds like it SHOULD work.
: > :
[...]

Have a look:
http://www.elsid.co.za/usenet/border-bottom-thingy.html

Remove the border-collapse if you have cellspacing and cellpadding set to
zero.

Sid

news frontiernet.net

"Sid Ismail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 01:07:25 GMT, "news frontiernet.net"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> :
> : "Sid Ismail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> : > On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 05:30:00 GMT, "news frontiernet.net"
> : > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : >
> : > : This sounds like it SHOULD work.
> : > :
> : > : But when I plug this into FrontPage2002 by copy/paste to make sure

there
> : are
> : > : no syntax errors, it does not work.
> : > :
> : > : Possibly this is not cross-browser?
> : > :
> : > : Right now I dont have the example on internet. But, I can get it

there
> : > : tomorrow.
> : >
> : >
> : > Please bottom post: post your reply at the bottom of the previous

post,
> : and
> : > snip out irrelevanl stuff.
> : >
> : > FrontPage is bad news, btw. Frontpage to the Internet is like what

the
> : CIA
> : > is to America's image.
> : >
> : > Provide a URL when you can?
> : >
> : > Sid
> : >
> :
> : Here is the URL for the example where I tried to implement that idea
> :
> : http://www.wgtn.net/tablecellborders/
> :
> : Am I doing something wrog?
> :
> :
>

> Have a look:
> http://www.elsid.co.za/usenet/border-bottom-thingy.html
>
> Remove the border-collapse if you have cellspacing and cellpadding set to
> zero.
>
> Sid

It works!

I notice that you have attached the control to each cell on a row, rather
than to the row tag. Is there a way to do this by just attaching a control
to the row tag rather than to each cell in the row?

Thanks!