Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How do I use a sub domain?

How do I use a sub domain?

Chris Arthers

I have created a sub domain name for a web-site, but don't know how to use
it! I tried creating a page with a file name the same as the subdomain, but
that doesn't work. Assistance please!

William Tasso

Chris Arthers wrote:
> I have created a sub domain name for a web-site, but don't know how
> to use it!

Have you asked your host/admin?

> I tried creating a page with a file name the same as the
> subdomain, but that doesn't work.

What is the name of the default file served up at your primary domain? try
that.

> Assistance please!

URL?

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Richard

Chris! wrote:

> I have created a sub domain name for a web-site, but don't know how to
> use it! I tried creating a page with a file name the same as the
> subdomain, but that doesn't work. Assistance please!

First, you have to own the domain name before you can create a subdomain for
it.
Sorry, but you can not create for.sale.com without first owning sale.com.

Assuming you do own the domain name, check with your host and see if they
have that capability.
You may have to pay extra for it.
In your main folder, create a new folder called "for".
Place your main page for the subdomain here.
If no subdomain as in for.sale.com then you would access the file as
sale.com/for.
Uploading files as directed by your host.

Leif K-Brooks

Richard wrote:
> Assuming you do own the domain name, check with your host and see if they
> have that capability.

The OP already created the subdomain, did you read the first 10 words of
the message?

> In your main folder, create a new folder called "for".
> Place your main page for the subdomain here.
> If no subdomain as in for.sale.com then you would access the file as
> sale.com/for.
> Uploading files as directed by your host.

That's how some hosts do it, but that certainly isn't the only way. The
only way to know where to put a sub-domain's site is by asking your host.

Richard

Leif! wrote:

> Richard wrote:
>> Assuming you do own the domain name, check with your host and see if
>> they have that capability.

> The OP already created the subdomain, did you read the first 10 words of
> the message?

>> In your main folder, create a new folder called "for".
>> Place your main page for the subdomain here.
>> If no subdomain as in for.sale.com then you would access the file as
>> sale.com/for.
>> Uploading files as directed by your host.

> That's how some hosts do it, but that certainly isn't the only way. The
> only way to know where to put a sub-domain's site is by asking your host.

It's quite possible the host does not allow subdomains, even though they can
be created.
Luckily, with my domains, I can add on any subdomain I want simply by
creating a folder in the root, then creating the subdomain through cpanel.
Or just use cpanel and let it do it all. Upload the files to the directory
and I'm done.

Chris Arthers

Thanks for all the answers. It solved the problem!

"Chris Arthers" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:bqis90$g8l$(E-Mail Removed)1.nb.home.nl...