Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Screen size and resolution?

Screen size and resolution?

PeterMcC

Jean-Marc Rousset wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about
> what screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
> Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600
> ? Or 1024 x 768 ?
> Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it
> may take some screen space ?
> Can you detect the user's resolution?

Have a look at:
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Jean-Marc Rousset

Hi all,

We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about what
screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600 ? Or
1024 x 768 ?
Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it may
take some screen space ?
Can you detect the user's resolution?

Thanks for all suggestions,

Jean-Marc

Steve Pugh

"Jean-Marc Rousset" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about what
>screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?

Forget all about them.

>Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600 ? Or
>1024 x 768 ?

No.

>Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it may
>take some screen space ?

Don't worry about it.

>Can you detect the user's resolution?

Not reliably. Anyway the resolution is irrelevant - not everyone surfs
with their browser window maximised.

See http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

Steve

William Tasso

Jean-Marc Rousset wrote:
> Hi all,

Greetings

> We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about
> what screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?

Yes, use mine.

> Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600
> ? Or 1024 x 768 ?

/looks in garden shed

yep: I've got one of each. Which one do I need to dust off to use your
site?

> Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it
> may take some screen space ?

it will - you have no idea how much

> Can you detect the user's resolution?

in some circumstances, but that knowledge is of little, if any, value:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmat...lexdesign.html

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Sid Ismail

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 17:21:01 +0100, "Jean-Marc Rousset"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about what
: screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
: Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600 ? Or
: 1024 x 768 ?
: Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it may
: take some screen space ?
: Can you detect the user's resolution?

You don't. Cater for all.

Sid

Barry Pearson

Jean-Marc Rousset wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about
> what screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
> Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600
> ? Or 1024 x 768 ?
> Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it
> may take some screen space ?
> Can you detect the user's resolution?

A vital question - do you have any pixel-oriented content? For example,
photographs, important graphics?

If you don't, then listen to the people who suggest that you design without
too much concern for the user's viewport size. Adapt to the latter.

If you do, you have my sympathy. Not only do you have a problem for which
current standards & tool support are inadequate. But you will also get little
help from people who don't have that problem, and choose to ignore it.

If you have to develop pixel-oriented material, such as photographs and
important graphics, I suggest you do so on the assumption that people who want
to see that content can handle an image of about 700 x 500. They can at least
scroll, and people with much larger screens will at least get a plausible
image.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/

Richard

Jean-Marc! wrote:

> Hi all,

> We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about
> what screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
> Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600 ?
> Or 1024 x 768 ?
> Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it may
> take some screen space ?
> Can you detect the user's resolution?

> Thanks for all suggestions,

> Jean-Marc

If you can, design the site to float with the window size of the browser
rather than resolution.
Chances are the visitor will have 1024x768 and very few with anything lower.
Of course you can detect the resolution, but who cares?
If you're that worried, use something 900x700 as a size.
At least those that refuse to upgrade won't have to do much scrolling.

Steve R.

Richard wrote in message ...
> Chances are the visitor will have 1024x768 and very few with anything lower.

Hang on there - Stats show that around 45 percent of ALL users are using 800 x 600,
so you can't afford to ignore those people.

Eric Bohlman

"Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Chances are the visitor will have 1024x768 and very few with anything
> lower. Of course you can detect the resolution, but who cares?

Little fact of life: the larger the dimensions of a user's screen, the
smaller the proportion of the user's screen that's likely to be occupied by
his browser window.

rf

"Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jean-Marc! wrote:
>
> > Hi all,

> > We are in the process of developing a web site and are not sure about
> > what screen size & resolution to use. Any suggestions?
> > Is it safe to assume that *most* people have 15" screens in 800 x 600 ?
> > Or 1024 x 768 ?
> > Also, how do you handle the browser's toolbars at the top, knowing it

may
> > take some screen space ?
> > Can you detect the user's resolution?

> > Thanks for all suggestions,

> > Jean-Marc

> If you can, design the site to float with the window size of the browser
> rather than resolution.

For once, some good advice.

> Chances are the visitor will have 1024x768 and very few with anything

lower.

Last time I looked at the stats about 50% used 800x600.

> Of course you can detect the resolution, but who cares?

True.

> If you're that worried, use something 900x700 as a size.

What a stupid size. You will get a 100 pixel blank space on those who you
assume use 1024xwhatever and you will gaurantee a scroll bar for 800x600. If
the customer *insists* on a fixed size it should be 780 or whatever.

> At least those that refuse to upgrade won't have to do much scrolling.

Do you have the money and or the inclination to upgrade to my 3200x1200
desktop? No? Well, dont assume such things for others. It is the height of
arrogance to suggest that a viewers system is inadequate to display a web
page.

Cheers
Richard.