Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Streaming mpegs

Streaming mpegs

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

Using the same recipe as streaming a flash file, I'm trying to do the same
with an mpeg file and not suprising, I'm not getting anything out...

The HTML looks like this

<h1>Stream testing</h1>
<object type="video/mpeg" data="streamed/introduction.mpg" width="400"
height="400">
<param name="movie" value="streamed/introduction.mpg" />
</object>

with the bit of the stylesheet which defines movie

#movie
{
padding-top: 9px;
padding-left: 40px;
height: 400px;
width: 400px;
}

The actual page is

http://www.reelnorth.co.uk/streamer.html

Any ideas why this is or is it that mpeg video is not the best in the
world for streaming?

TTFN

Paul

Spartanicus

Paul F. Johnson wrote:

>http://www.reelnorth.co.uk/streamer.html

>Sorry, you don't appear to have frame support.

Why on earth are you using frames on that page?

Cold isn't it?

>Any ideas why this is or is it that mpeg video is not the best in the
>world for streaming?

Have a look at this:

http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

--
Spartanicus

Steve R.

Spartanicus wrote in message
> Why on earth are you using frames on that page?

*He's* not using frames. The URL has been web-forwarded in a frame to hide the actual
URL, which is ...
http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/re.../streamer.html

Richard

Paul! wrote:

> Hi,

> Using the same recipe as streaming a flash file, I'm trying to do the
> same with an mpeg file and not suprising, I'm not getting anything out...

> The HTML looks like this

> <h1>Stream testing</h1>

> <object type="video/mpeg" data="streamed/introduction.mpg" width="400"
> height="400">
> <param name="movie" value="streamed/introduction.mpg" />
> </object>

> with the bit of the stylesheet which defines movie

> #movie
> {
> padding-top: 9px;
> padding-left: 40px;
> height: 400px;
> width: 400px;
> }

> The actual page is

> http://www.reelnorth.co.uk/streamer.html

> Any ideas why this is or is it that mpeg video is not the best in the
> world for streaming?

The way you have it, the visitor has to wait while the movie is loaded and
if they're on dialup, that could take forever.
Do not load the movie with the page. Rather, load everything else then allow
the visitor to choose to view the movie or not.
I got tired of waiting for the page to load and I'm on cable.

I would suggest using true streaming video such as "RM" or "ASF".