Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS: border-collapse

CSS: border-collapse

delerious@no.spam.com

According to the w3c site, the border-collapse property has an initial value
of 'collapse'. But on IE 5.5 and the latest version of Opera, they both seem
to use a value of 'separate', and I have to explicitly change it to 'collapse'
if I want it that way. Why is this?

brucie

in post <news:(E-Mail Removed) om>

> According to the w3c site, the border-collapse property has an initial value
> of 'collapse'. But on IE 5.5 and the latest version of Opera, they both seem
> to use a value of 'separate', and I have to explicitly change it to 'collapse'
> if I want it that way. Why is this?

<quote>
[2001-10-03] Several popular browsers assume an initial value for
'border-collapse' of 'separate' rather than 'collapse' or exhibit
behavior that is close to that value, even if they do not actually
implement the CSS table model. Therefore the CSS WG proposes to change
the initial value to 'separate', in the expectation that it better
matches what users expect it to be.
</quote>
http://www.w3.org/Style/css2-updates...12-errata.html

--
brucie
02/December/2003 08:26:02 pm kilo

Sid Ismail

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 10:08:16 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

: According to the w3c site, the border-collapse property has an initial value
: of 'collapse'. But on IE 5.5 and the latest version of Opera, they both seem
: to use a value of 'separate', and I have to explicitly change it to 'collapse'
: if I want it that way. Why is this?

Default is "separate" quoting this website:
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/cs.../bcollapse.htm

from http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables.html#border-conflict-resolution>
<quote>
The rule of thumb is that at each edge the most "eye catching" border style
is chosen, except that any occurrence of the style 'hidden' unconditionally
turns the border off.
</quote>

Also see:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/tables...apsing-borders

Sid

DU

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> According to the w3c site, the border-collapse property has an initial value
> of 'collapse'. But on IE 5.5 and the latest version of Opera, they both seem
> to use a value of 'separate', and I have to explicitly change it to 'collapse'
> if I want it that way. Why is this?

W3C CSS2.1 says:

"C.2.12 Section 17.6 Borders

Several popular browsers assume an initial value for 'border-collapse'
of 'separate' rather than 'collapse' or exhibit behavior that is close
to that value, even if they do not actually implement the CSS table
model. 'Separate' is now the initial value."

http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/changes.html#q19

Jukka K. Korpela

brucie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/Style/css2-updates...12-errata.html

Yep, that's the W3C style of defining "standards", so sadly. They
change the contents of their specifications on the fly, without prior
or posterior note, and call it an "errata". And they even call the
"specification" a _stable_ document. Sigh.

But in this case, this boils down to the principle of setting
border-collapse for all tables. You could simply add
table { border-collapse: collapse; }
into your basic style sheet (if you prefer that rendering) and override
it in a per-document or per-table basis when eeded.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/