Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > How to get html scripts to be interpreted via "print"

How to get html scripts to be interpreted via "print"

Dan Whitaker

So okay, I'm one of those WebTV./MSNTV freaks. I build a web page on
WebTV and send the source to a PC running Windows XP, cut/copy/paste
it into "Notepad" and/or "Word" document and print it and what I get
is the html source, unrendered. Shouldn't a filetype of RTF out of
word work?

I kinda guessed that if maybe I renamed the file to .html that might
work but how do I go about doing that since I can't see any way from
within either notepad or word to do a rename. No, no, no, don't tell
me to go to a DOS prompt to do it now willya?

Also, I have just gotten back into the PC world after many years,
(last version of windows I used was 9 and I remember something about
an "index.html" file being necesssary for web pages on a PC? Can you
enlighten me about that, refresh my memory about building web pages on
a PC... what directory or folder to put them in, etc.?

All help greatly appreciated. It's been a long time and I never did do
much with web pages on a PC anyhow but have become past master on
WebTV.

Thanks,
Dan

Hywel Jenkins

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> So okay, I'm one of those WebTV./MSNTV freaks. I build a web page on
> WebTV and send the source to a PC running Windows XP, cut/copy/paste
> it into "Notepad" and/or "Word" document and print it and what I get
> is the html source, unrendered.

Yes - that's what I would expect. Neither of those applications are
rendering the HTML, so why would you expect the output to be rendered?
All the printer does is output what the application tells it to.

> Shouldn't a filetype of RTF out of
> word work?

Work for what?

> I kinda guessed that if maybe I renamed the file to .html that might
> work but how do I go about doing that since I can't see any way from
> within either notepad or word to do a rename. No, no, no, don't tell
> me to go to a DOS prompt to do it now willya?

Did the thought of opening the page in Internet Explorer and then
printing it occur to you?

> Also, I have just gotten back into the PC world after many years,
> (last version of windows I used was 9 and I remember something about
> an "index.html" file being necesssary for web pages on a PC? Can you
> enlighten me about that, refresh my memory about building web pages on
> a PC... what directory or folder to put them in, etc.?

That's misleading. The default document to which you're referring can
be called anything the server administrator chooses. It just so happens
that (possibly) the most common name of the default document is
index.htm/l. That has nothing to do with the PC, either.

> All help greatly appreciated. It's been a long time and I never did do
> much with web pages on a PC anyhow but have become past master on
> WebTV.

Shame. Now that you've got a PC throw the WebTV away and start doing
things properly.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

Sid Ismail

On 30 Nov 2003 10:57:27 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Dan Whitaker) wrote:

: Also, I have just gotten back into the PC world after many years,
: (last version of windows I used was 9 and I remember something about
: an "index.html" file being necesssary for web pages on a PC? Can you
: enlighten me about that

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/
http://tranchant.plus.com/web/html-start
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/
http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
http://www.draac.com/
downloadable: http://hakatai.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/download.html

Sid

kchayka

Sid Ismail wrote:
> On 30 Nov 2003 10:57:27 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Dan Whitaker) wrote:
>
> : Also, I have just gotten back into the PC world after many years,
> : (last version of windows I used was 9 and I remember something about
> : an "index.html" file being necesssary for web pages on a PC? Can you
> : enlighten me about that
>
> http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html

Are you serious, or is this an example of what _not_ to do?

--
To email a reply, remove (dash)un(dash). Mail sent to the un
address is considered spam and automatically deleted.

Sid Ismail

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 17:34:04 -0600, kchayka <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: Sid Ismail wrote:
: > On 30 Nov 2003 10:57:27 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Dan Whitaker) wrote:
: >
: > : Also, I have just gotten back into the PC world after many years,
: > : (last version of windows I used was 9 and I remember something about
: > : an "index.html" file being necesssary for web pages on a PC? Can you
: > : enlighten me about that
: >
: > http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
:
: Are you serious, or is this an example of what _not_ to do?

You have a tutorial site for a newbie to HTML instead?
That site is OK for someone wanting to start HTML, IMHO.

Sid

Leif K-Brooks

Sid Ismail wrote:
> You have a tutorial site for a newbie to HTML instead?

I don't and he doesn't, but Toby A Inkster does. Take a look at
http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=150

> That site is OK for someone wanting to start HTML, IMHO.

I'll just pretend you're joking, because having soy milk come out of my
nose is good.

Sid Ismail

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 09:21:47 GMT, Leif K-Brooks <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

: I don't and he doesn't, but Toby A Inkster does. Take a look at
: http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=150

Looks great! Added it instead of... thanks!

Sid

kchayka

Sid Ismail wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 09:21:47 GMT, Leif K-Brooks <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> : http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=150
>
> Looks great! Added it instead of... thanks!

thank _you_!