Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > !doctype & foreign languages

!doctype & foreign languages

yes=no

Hi,

I'm translating several of my site's pages into french.

i have so far added this line to the metatags:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" Content="fr">

but I'm not sure if any other additions are necessary. my main aim here is
to make the page accessible to search engines that index for the french
language.

I notice that the !DOCTYPE declaration generated by Dreamweaver is this:

now, does the "EN" at the end signify the "english" language, and should I
change this to "FR" for my french pages?

Also (if there are Canucks listening...) does the Quebecois french demand
any different kind of tagging or does "fr" indicate a universal french,
irrespective of different "dialects" of french?

thanks for any comments..

Y?N

Eric Bohlman

"yes=no" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsfyxb.57019$oN2.322@edtnps84:

> I notice that the !DOCTYPE declaration generated by Dreamweaver is
> this:

> now, does the "EN" at the end signify the "english" language, and
> should I change this to "FR" for my french pages?

No. The "EN" indicates that the human-readable comments in the actual DTD
document are written in English.

Marc Nadeau

yes=no a écrit:

> Hi,
>

> I'm translating several of my site's pages into french.
>
> i have so far added this line to the metatags:
>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" Content="fr">
>
> but I'm not sure if any other additions are necessary. my main aim here
> is to make the page accessible to search engines that index for the french
> language.
>
> I notice that the !DOCTYPE declaration generated by Dreamweaver is this:

> now, does the "EN" at the end signify the "english" language, and should I
> change this to "FR" for my french pages?
>
> Also (if there are Canucks listening...) does the Quebecois french demand
> any different kind of tagging or does "fr" indicate a universal french,
> irrespective of different "dialects" of french?
>
> thanks for any comments..
>
> Y?N

I am a 'québécois' and use fr.

We do not use a dialect; the rest of the world does.

--
Ta mere elle est tellement grosse que quand elle sort, il y a une eclipse

yes=no

> I am a 'québécois' and use fr.
>
> We do not use a dialect; the rest of the world does.

Damn! It's that "attitude" thing again! What happens when the Chinese take
over and put up signs in Chinese bigger than Francoise? Whose "distinct
society" will you belong to in prison reciting "ho chi minh" mantras?

Toby A Inkster

yes=no wrote:

> i have so far added this line to the metatags:
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" Content="fr">
> but I'm not sure if any other additions are necessary.

Also:

And if you have any control over your HTTP Headers:

As Eric indicated, this should remain unchanged:

Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Felix Atagong

"Toby A Inkster" wrote:
> > <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" Content="fr">

Google seems to recognise what language a page is in, even without language
(meta)tags, and this regardless of the URL's last letters (after the dot).
I'm aware of a .org organistation with pages in Dutch and yep, Google puts
them under the Dutch search (as language) and under a Belgian search (as
country).

How do they do that? Check where the server it is on is located? Just
wondering... (I should also say that Google also makes a lot of mistakes by
putting 'English' pages on a Dutch search).

Safalra

"yes=no" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<pfyxb.57019$oN2.322@edtnps84>...
> Also (if there are Canucks listening...) does the Quebecois french demand
> any different kind of tagging or does "fr" indicate a universal french,
> irrespective of different "dialects" of french?

You can use either 'fr' or 'fr-ca'. Also, change your <html> tag to
language from the document's, you should indicate this with the
hreflang property - for example:

Website</a>

--- Stephen Morley ---
http://www.safalra.com

Owen Jacobson

Felix Atagong wrote:

> Google seems to recognise what language a page is in, even without
> language (meta)tags...
>
> How do they do that?

A well-configured web server sends a Content-Language: header with each
page to indicate what human-readable language the page is in. This is
the appropriate place for this information.

Safalra

"Felix Atagong" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3fc70ea5$0$3236$(E-Mail Removed) .be>...
> Google seems to recognise what language a page is in, even without language
> (meta)tags, and this regardless of the URL's last letters (after the dot).
> I'm aware of a .org organistation with pages in Dutch and yep, Google puts
> them under the Dutch search (as language) and under a Belgian search (as
> country).
>
> How do they do that? Check where the server it is on is located? Just
> wondering... (I should also say that Google also makes a lot of mistakes by
> putting 'English' pages on a Dutch search).

It just looks the words on the pages up in dictionaries for various
languages, and judges the page to be in the language where the most
words existed. (Sorry about the awful grammar in that last
sentence...)

--- Stephen Morley ---
http://www.safalra.com

Andreas Prilop

"yes=no" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Subject: !doctype & foreign languages

English is a foreign language.

> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Language" Content="fr">

Rather write <html lang="fr"> .
<http://uk.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/attrs.html#i18n>

> does the Quebecois french demand any different kind of tagging

You could write <html lang="fr-CA"> .

> or does "fr" indicate a universal french,
> irrespective of different "dialects" of french?

Yes.

--
Top posting.
What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?

Foreign Languages? UJ ASP .Net 3 06-16-2006 07:25 PM
Survey - implementing CRUD with "foreign name" instead of foreign key. H5N1 ASP .Net 0 05-03-2006 11:36 PM
Data entry in foreign languages Roedy Green Java 4 01-27-2006 10:39 AM
mozilla in foreign languages? Ivan Sofa n.1 Firefox 1 09-24-2003 04:28 PM
Outlook Express and Foreign Languages AntoineD Computer Support 1 07-04-2003 06:51 AM

Advertisments