Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Onmouseover for complete novice

Onmouseover for complete novice

CQMMAN

Using IE6, trying to get text to change when I move the mouse over it by
using the following code:

onmouseover="setText('this')"onmouseout="setText(' other')">that</a>

Unfortunately, it isn't working and I can't figure out why.

Any ideas?

thanks

Michael Wilcox

CQMMAN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Using IE6, trying to get text to change when I move the mouse over it
> by using the following code:

> onmouseover="setText('this')"onmouseout="setText(' other')">that</a>

Try some CSS. In your <head>, put:

a:hover
{
color: #FF0010;
}

and then just make a normal link:

--
Michael Wilcox
mjwilco at yahoo dot com

Sid Ismail

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:37:44 -0000, "CQMMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: Using IE6, trying to get text to change when I move the mouse over it by
: using the following code:
:
: <a href="#"
: onmouseover="setText('this')"onmouseout="setText(' other')">that</a>
:
: Unfortunately, it isn't working and I can't figure out why.

Why is a complete novice meddling with this Javascript crap?

Sid

William Tasso

Sid Ismail wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:37:44 -0000, "CQMMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Using IE6, trying to get text to change when I move the mouse over
>> it by using the following code:

>> onmouseover="setText('this')"onmouseout="setText(' other')">that</a>
>>
>> Unfortunately, it isn't working and I can't figure out why.

> Why is a complete novice meddling with this Javascript crap?

because:

o incomplete novices can't
o those with moderate skill no longer bother

does that help?

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Toby A Inkster

CQMMAN wrote:

> onmouseover="setText('this')"onmouseout="setText(' other')">that</a>

^
First of all, you need a space where I have indicated.

Second of all, this isn't a link, so use <span> instead of <a>.

Third of all, can we see where you have defined setText()?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

CQMMAN

"Sid Ismail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 14:37:44 -0000, "CQMMAN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : Using IE6, trying to get text to change when I move the mouse over it by
> : using the following code:
> :
> : <a href="#"
> : onmouseover="setText('this')"onmouseout="setText(' other')">that</a>
> :
> : Unfortunately, it isn't working and I can't figure out why.
>

> Why is a complete novice meddling with this Javascript crap?
>
> Sid

Any suggestions on doing this with HTML then?

Michael Wilcox

CQMMAN <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Any suggestions on doing this with HTML then?

Link (or text) with HTML, style it with CSS.
--
Michael Wilcox
mjwilco at yahoo dot com

Hywel Jenkins

In article <bq51tj$1v3aoe$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> Using IE6, trying to get text to change when I move the mouse over it by
> using the following code:

> onmouseover="setText('this')"onmouseout="setText(' other')">that</a>
>
> Unfortunately, it isn't working and I can't figure out why.
>
> Any ideas?

What does setText() do? We're not mind readers, you know.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

CQMMAN

"Hywel Jenkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <bq51tj$1v3aoe$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Using IE6, trying to get text to change when I move the mouse over it by
> > using the following code:

> > onmouseover="setText('this')"onmouseout="setText(' other')">that</a>
> >
> > Unfortunately, it isn't working and I can't figure out why.
> >
> > Any ideas?

> What does setText() do? We're not mind readers, you know.

Well I thought it was a command to change the text at that location. Sorry,
to be honest, I thought this would be a helpful group but with comments like
yours ("We're not mind readers, you know.") and Sid's, pehaps I need to go
somewhere else.

Until everyone is born knowing HTML, we all have to start somewhere.

Toby A Inkster

CQMMAN wrote:

> Well I thought [setText()] was a command to change the text at that
> location.

Well it's not. It's just a meaningless function name. You need another bit
of Javascript to define what setText() does.

That's why I said:
| Third of all, can we see where you have defined setText()?

> Sorry, to be honest, I thought this would be a helpful group but with
> comments like yours ("We're not mind readers, you know.") and Sid's,
> pehaps I need to go somewhere else.

I think that a Javascript newsgroup might be more appropriate for your
needs than an HTML one.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS