Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Colspan and rowspan

Colspan and rowspan

Klaus Wertler

I've heard it is possible to define overlapping areas with the table
attributs colspan and rowspan. How can this be achieved?

Thanks Klaus

Matthias Gutfeldt

Klaus Wertler wrote:
> I've heard it is possible to define overlapping areas with the table
> attributs colspan and rowspan. How can this be achieved?

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.6.1>.
"Cells that span several rows or columns
Cells may span several rows or columns. The number of rows or columns
spanned by a cell is set by the rowspan and colspan attributes for the
TH and TD elements."

Example from that page:

<TABLE border="1">
<CAPTION>Cups of coffee consumed by each senator</CAPTION>
<TR><TH>Name<TH>Cups<TH>Type of Coffee<TH>Sugar?
<TR><TD>T. Sexton<TD>10<TD>Espresso<TD>No
<TR><TD>J. Dinnen<TD>5<TD>Decaf<TD>Yes
<TR><TD>A. Soria<TD colspan="3"><em>Not available</em>
</TABLE>

Sid Ismail

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:01:05 +0100, "Klaus Wertler" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

: I've heard it is possible to define overlapping areas with the table
: attributs colspan and rowspan. How can this be achieved?

Time to do a tutorial on HTML and Tables:
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Guide/
http://www.tranchant.freeserve.co.uk...tml-start.html
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/
http://davmagic.com/PAGES22.html
http://www.draac.com/
downloadable: http://hakatai.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/download.html

Sid

Toby A Inkster

Matthias Gutfeldt wrote:

> Klaus Wertler wrote:
>> I've heard it is possible to define overlapping areas with the table
>> attributs colspan and rowspan. How can this be achieved?

> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.2.6.1>.
> "Cells that span several rows or columns
> Cells may span several rows or columns. The number of rows or columns
> spanned by a cell is set by the rowspan and colspan attributes for the
> TH and TD elements."

However, reading further:
"Defining overlapping cells is an error. User agents may vary in how they
handle this error (e.g., rendering may vary)."

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Isofarro

Sid Ismail wrote:

> http://www.tranchant.freeserve.co.uk...tml-start.html

Ermm... IIRC the above link is now just a holding page with a link to the
new page over on plus.net.

--
Iso.
Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010

Sid Ismail

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:12:22 +0000, Isofarro <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

: Sid Ismail wrote:
:
: > http://www.tranchant.freeserve.co.uk...tml-start.html
:
: Ermm... IIRC the above link is now just a holding page with a link to the
: new page over on plus.net.

Thanks! Will fix my links.

Sid

Isofarro

Sid Ismail wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:12:22 +0000, Isofarro
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : Sid Ismail wrote:
> :
> : > http://www.tranchant.freeserve.co.uk...tml-start.html
> :
> : Ermm... IIRC the above link is now just a holding page with a link to
> : the new page over on plus.net.
>

> Thanks! Will fix my links.

Cool. Thanks. Then I can snaffle your post and stick it straight into the
alt.html FAQ

--

Isofarro wrote:

> Sid Ismail wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 21:12:22 +0000, Isofarro
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>: Sid Ismail wrote:
>>:
>>: > http://www.tranchant.freeserve.co.uk...tml-start.html
>>:
>>: Ermm... IIRC the above link is now just a holding page with a link to
>>: the new page over on plus.net.
>>
>> Thanks! Will fix my links.

> Cool. Thanks. Then I can snaffle your post and stick it straight into the
> alt.html FAQ

Furthermore, Mark Tranchant has indicated to me that the new page URL will
change shortly, as he's considering moving to PHP.

Safe URL is:

http://tranchant.plus.com/web/html-start

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Sid Ismail

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 20:16:10 +0000, Toby A Inkster
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: Furthermore, Mark Tranchant has indicated to me that the new page URL will
: change shortly, as he's considering moving to PHP.
:
: Safe URL is:
:
: http://tranchant.plus.com/web/html-start