Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Searches and websites

Searches and websites

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.

I have included the line
in my mother's website. Why doesn't the URL
"http://members.cox.net/sbk11" appear on a search for "Susie
Kinserlow" in Google?

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
Lubbock, Texas
kinserlow at hotmail dot com
website: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow

kayodeok

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have included the line
> in my mother's website. Why doesn't the URL
> "http://members.cox.net/sbk11" appear on a search for "Susie
> Kinserlow" in Google?

Google ignores metadata because it has been abused by webmasters;
Google will only spider the body of your site; therefore, if
"susie kinserlow" does not appear anywhere in the body, it will
not be spidered and indexed.

The general rule of thumb is that google spiders and indexes what
can be seen by humans anything else is usually considered spam
(though I am sure there are exceptions).

See also:
Google Information for Webmasters
http://www.google.com/webmasters/

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

Brett

Why doesn't the URL
> "http://members.cox.net/sbk11" appear on a search for "Susie
> Kinserlow" in Google?

You first need to tell google about your site. Go here
http://www.google.com/addurl.html and submit the link
http://members.cox.net/sbk11

Then be patient, it will take a little while before google will index the
page.

--
Brett
Provision Tech

Nick Howes

"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why doesn't the URL
> > "http://members.cox.net/sbk11" appear on a search for "Susie
> > Kinserlow" in Google?

> You first need to tell google about your site. Go here
> http://www.google.com/addurl.html and submit the link
> http://members.cox.net/sbk11
>
> Then be patient, it will take a little while before google will index the
> page.

Google doesn't actually require that you submit your site, it can find it
from links on other sites. But in any case, if the page appears at all it
will be a good few weeks (its robots have to crawl through billions of pages
each time... takes a while!).

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.

On 23 Nov 2003 18:49:29 GMT, kayodeok <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> I have included the line
>> in my mother's website. Why doesn't the URL
>> "http://members.cox.net/sbk11" appear on a search for "Susie
>> Kinserlow" in Google?

>Google ignores metadata because it has been abused by webmasters;
>Google will only spider the body of your site; therefore, if
>"susie kinserlow" does not appear anywhere in the body, it will
>not be spidered and indexed.
>
>The general rule of thumb is that google spiders and indexes what
>can be seen by humans anything else is usually considered spam
>(though I am sure there are exceptions).
>
>See also:
>Google Information for Webmasters
>http://www.google.com/webmasters/

Is it worthwhile to enter any metadata? If the search engines ignore
it, it seems pretty useless.

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr.
Lubbock, Texas
kinserlow at hotmail dot com
website: www.members.cox.net/rkinserlow

kayodeok

Ray Wesley Kinserlow Jr. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is it worthwhile to enter any metadata? If the search engines
> ignore it, it seems pretty useless.

I understand that Google sometimes requires the description if it
cannot derive one for that page, however, the best place to discuss
this topic is either news://alt.internet.search-engines or

Have a look at:
How To Use HTML Meta Tags
http://www.searchenginewatch.com/web...le.php/2167931

But bear in mind that the page is old in search engine optimisation
terms (though it does mention that Google ignores meta stuff)