Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Q-basic

Q-basic

Werner Godfroid

Hello to everyone

I'm trying to make a new schoolsite. My pupils, 12 year old, made some Latin exercises in Qbasic, which I want to integrate in this site.
Their little program works well on my pc. No problem at all.
Nevertheless, when I click on the hyperlink to their exe file I get an error (in their programscreen) which says: File not found in line. No line number in Latijn2 at address 06EF:004A.
I have Windows XP and Frontpage 2000
What did I do wrong?

Richard

Werner! wrote:

> Hello to everyone

> I'm trying to make a new schoolsite. My pupils, 12 year old, made some
> Latin exercises in Qbasic, which I want to integrate in this site. Their
> little program works well on my pc. No problem at all. Nevertheless, when
> I click on the hyperlink to their exe file I get an error (in their
> programscreen) which says: File not found in line. No line number in
> Latijn2 at address 06EF:004A. I have Windows XP and Frontpage 2000
> What did I do wrong?

Avoid using html in text only groups please.

Which version of Qbasic? If you have the earlier versions, which run in DOS
only, there is no way you can run the program without being in DOS.
If the file extension is "BAS", then you have the earlier version. If it is
"EXE", then you have the oldest and have compiled the program.
If you're expecting the files to run on the internet, that ain't gonna
happen.
It's not that you're doing anything wrong, it's just that you're expecting
things to happen when they aren't going to.

rf

"Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Werner! wrote:
>
> > Hello to everyone

> > I'm trying to make a new schoolsite. My pupils, 12 year old, made some
> > Latin exercises in Qbasic, which I want to integrate in this site.

Their
> > little program works well on my pc. No problem at all. Nevertheless,

when
> > I click on the hyperlink to their exe file I get an error (in their
> > programscreen) which says: File not found in line. No line number in
> > Latijn2 at address 06EF:004A. I have Windows XP and Frontpage 2000
> > What did I do wrong?

> Avoid using html in text only groups please.
>
> Which version of Qbasic? If you have the earlier versions, which run in

DOS
> only, there is no way you can run the program without being in DOS.
> If the file extension is "BAS", then you have the earlier version. If it

is
> "EXE", then you have the oldest and have compiled the program.
> If you're expecting the files to run on the internet, that ain't gonna
> happen.
> It's not that you're doing anything wrong, it's just that you're expecting
> things to happen when they aren't going to.

What on earth are you talking about?

<quote>
to their exe file I get an error (in their
programscreen) which says: File not found in line. No line number in
Latijn2 at address 06EF:004A
</quote>

I read two things into the quoted text above: 1) the OP has a .EXE (pretty
bloody obvious) and 2) The program actually runs but produces an error
message "in their programscreen". If the .EXE could not run then how could
it produce an error message?

Besides, it is quite in order to launch a DOS executable from within
Windows. Windows just wraps it in a dos box. What do you think happens when
you run ipconfig, which is a DOS program?

Once again your information is totally incorrect and irrelevant.

To the OP:

The program is possibly looking for a file to read, probably in the current
directory. When you run it from a link on a web page it is first downloaded
into a temporary directory and executed from there. It is highly unlikely
that the required file would be in that temporary directory.

You may need to wrap the whole lot in an install process that builds a
directory containing all the required files.

Cheers
Richard.

Toby A Inkster

rf wrote:

> Besides, it is quite in order to launch a DOS executable from within
> Windows. Windows just wraps it in a dos box. What do you think happens when
> you run ipconfig, which is a DOS program?

Actually, ipconfig is a Windows console program. Try running it in DOS
(really in DOS -- not in a Windows shell) and it will say something like
"This program requires Microsoft Windows".

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

rf

"Toby A Inkster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> rf wrote:
>
> > Besides, it is quite in order to launch a DOS executable from within
> > Windows. Windows just wraps it in a dos box. What do you think happens

when
> > you run ipconfig, which is a DOS program?

> Actually, ipconfig is a Windows console program. Try running it in DOS
> (really in DOS -- not in a Windows shell) and it will say something like
> "This program requires Microsoft Windows".

You're right. Bad example.

Cheers
Richard.

Richard

Toby! wrote:

> rf wrote:

>> Besides, it is quite in order to launch a DOS executable from within
>> Windows. Windows just wraps it in a dos box. What do you think happens
>> when you run ipconfig, which is a DOS program?

That would be the DOS version of winipcfg, which is a windows based program.
Opening ipconfig in windows gives you a momentary dos box then shuts down.

> Actually, ipconfig is a Windows console program. Try running it in DOS
> (really in DOS -- not in a Windows shell) and it will say something like
> "This program requires Microsoft Windows".

> --
> Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
> Contact Me - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/?page=132

Toby A Inkster

Richard wrote:

> Toby! wrote:
>
>> rf wrote:

>>> Besides, it is quite in order to launch a DOS executable from within
>>> Windows. Windows just wraps it in a dos box. What do you think happens
>>> when you run ipconfig, which is a DOS program?

>> Actually, ipconfig is a Windows console program. Try running it in DOS
>> (really in DOS -- not in a Windows shell) and it will say something like
>> "This program requires Microsoft Windows".

> That would be the DOS version of winipcfg, which is a windows based program.
> Opening ipconfig in windows gives you a momentary dos box then shuts down.

Some people it seems have a difficulty understanding that Windows' "DOS
box" is not really DOS.

On Windows NT, it is an emulated DOS (i.e. not really DOS at all). On
Windows 9x/ME it is the real COMMAND.COM, but running in Windows instead
of DOS, so has access to Windows system calls (i.e. a fusion of DOS and
Windows).

Thus "ipconfig" will run in a "DOS box" in Windows, but will not actually
run on MS-DOS (or PC-DOS, DR-DOS, etc), making it a Windows application --
not a DOS one.

It's quite logical really. DOS has no TCP/IP support, so ipconfig would be
pretty screwed in DOS. Ditto Windows "ping" and "tracert".

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Si Ballenger

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:06:32 -0600, "Richard" <anonymous@127.000>
wrote:

> Toby! wrote:
>
> > rf wrote:

> >> Besides, it is quite in order to launch a DOS executable from within
> >> Windows. Windows just wraps it in a dos box. What do you think happens
> >> when you run ipconfig, which is a DOS program?

>That would be the DOS version of winipcfg, which is a windows based program.
>Opening ipconfig in windows gives you a momentary dos box then shuts down.
>

> > Actually, ipconfig is a Windows console program. Try running it in DOS
> > (really in DOS -- not in a Windows shell) and it will say something like
> > "This program requires Microsoft Windows".

Copy the below, paste in notepad, save as ip.bat, then double
click the ip.bat file.

ipconfig /?
pause

Si Ballenger

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 07:48:29 +0100, "Werner Godfroid"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_0167_01C3B196.2F51B300
>
>Hello to everyone
>
>I'm trying to make a new schoolsite. My pupils, 12 year old, made some =
>Latin exercises in Qbasic, which I want to integrate in this site.
>Their little program works well on my pc. No problem at all.
>Nevertheless, when I click on the hyperlink to their exe file I get an =
>error (in their programscreen) which says: File not found in line. No =
>line number in Latijn2 at address 06EF:004A.
>I have Windows XP and Frontpage 2000
>What did I do wrong?

Did you design the exe file to be a webserver cgi application
instead of a desktop application? The way the operate is very
different.