Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Scrolling news ticker

Reply
Thread Tools

Scrolling news ticker

 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2003
Anyone know how this site has done the scrolling news-ticker (with
hyperlink):
http://www.virginrecords.co.uk/

Is there a plugin (e.g. for Dreamweaver) or something that would take
all "the work" out of doing this and would make it easy for someone who
is not an HTML guru?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Leif K-Brooks
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2003
wrote:

> Anyone know how this site has done the scrolling news-ticker (with
> hyperlink):
> http://www.virginrecords.co.uk/
>
> Is there a plugin (e.g. for Dreamweaver) or something that would take
> all "the work" out of doing this and would make it easy for someone who
> is not an HTML guru?


Evil that you don't want to duplicate. Why do you think you need one?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2003
Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> Evil that you don't want to duplicate. Why do you think you need one?


Er... why is evil to have this?

For a small site that I am doing we want to make the news items we have
a little bit more "appealling" than just putting a list of news items on
the page.


 
Reply With Quote
 
William Tasso
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2003
wrote:
> Leif K-Brooks wrote:
>> Evil that you don't want to duplicate. Why do you think you need one?

>
> Er... why is evil to have this?
>


An oft-used answer is: What do you have that is so important you need to
distract your visitor's attention from elsewhere on your page that is not
important enough to be permanently displayed?

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
Hywel Jenkins
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2003
In article <3fba4ea9$0$64566$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Anyone know how this site has done the scrolling news-ticker (with
> hyperlink):
> http://www.virginrecords.co.uk/
>
> Is there a plugin (e.g. for Dreamweaver) or something that would take
> all "the work" out of doing this and would make it easy for someone who
> is not an HTML guru?


Amazingly, viewing the source code shows that it's done with scrolling
<span> elements.

Have you thought of googling for "dreamweaver news ticker"? You'd have
found
http://tinyurl.com/vjkp
http://tinyurl.com/vjkk

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/mfaq.php
 
Reply With Quote
 
Disco Octopus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2003
wrote:
> Anyone know how this site has done the scrolling news-ticker (with
> hyperlink):
> http://www.virginrecords.co.uk/


this is how they do it.......

<marquee>
<a href="#">item 1<a> |
<a href="#">item 2<a> |
<a href="#">item 3<a> |
</marquee>


.... however, it is recommended that it is not done...
* lots of poeple do not like moving bits when viewing pages.
* lots of browsers dont support the marquee element. (I suppose it could be
done in js, but still...)
* It distract from other parts of your page.
* It means that the user must wait until the scroll fully circles until they
can finish reading what just scrolled by that was too fast. (and before you
say "it will be slow", how do you know what is slow enough for a
particularly slow reader.)

So, its easy to do, but its just not recommende


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2003
Sometime around Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:49:09 -0000, William Tasso is reported
to have stated:
>
> An oft-used answer is: What do you have that is so important you need to
> distract your visitor's attention from elsewhere on your page that is not
> important enough to be permanently displayed?


Or from a slightly different perspective: What is not important enough to
be permanently displayed on the page, but important enough that your
visitor is going to wait for it to come back if they miss it?

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael Fesser
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2003
wrote:

>For a small site that I am doing we want to make the news items we have
>a little bit more "appealling" than just putting a list of news items on
>the page.


s/appealling/annoying/

Why should a user waste his time with waiting for the scrolling news?
Life is short and time is money. If you have something to say then put
it on the website so a user can get it quickly.

Micha
 
Reply With Quote
 
Safalra
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-19-2003
"" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3fba58ff$0$105$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> Leif K-Brooks wrote:
> > [in relation to news ticker]
> > Evil that you don't want to duplicate. Why do you think you need one?

>
> Er... why is evil to have this?


http://www.safalra.com/internet/scrollingtext.html

--- Stephen Morley ---
http://www.safalra.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
News Ticker LarsR Java 0 07-29-2004 08:31 AM
Re: Fox News Ticker and Firefox maxo Firefox 0 06-16-2004 04:06 AM
MyYahoo News Ticker anyone??? Jack Slater Computer Support 4 10-23-2003 04:24 AM
News ticker for webpage Steven Pilbeam Computer Support 1 08-07-2003 01:30 PM
Re: Want to create a News Ticker Applet but the Label, Text or TextComponent don't move Roedy Green Java 2 08-04-2003 04:22 AM



Advertisments