Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > nube question / css link @import etc

nube question / css link @import etc

Bagman

Sorry, I'm confused...
I read somewhere that (because there are still a lot of Netscape 4 users
out there)
it is a good idea to use at-import in a style... like this---
<STYLE type='text/css' media=screen>@import url(mycolumns.css);</STYLE>
rather than a link like--
<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolums.css" type="text/css"
media="all">
in order to hide the StyleSheet from Netscape 4....(in hope of graceful
degradation)
Then I read somewhere else (sorry, forgot where) that this caused ns4 to
lock or crash...
But, in one NG or another I read that the direct link is ok, if you
include "screen,projection"
because NS4 ignored "projection" but Opera6/7(?) uses it...
0wUuuu... Confusion is not good for my head...I prefer good red wine...

Ideas, sugestions? RTFMissueDateVol#SourceURLpage#?
thanx (:->
--
Bagman
___

Isofarro

Bagman wrote:

> Sorry, I'm confused...
> I read somewhere that (because there are still a lot of Netscape 4 users
> out there)
> it is a good idea to use at-import in a style... like this---
> <STYLE type='text/css' media=screen>@import url(mycolumns.css);</STYLE>
> rather than a link like--
> <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolums.css" type="text/css"
> media="all">

<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolumns.css" type="text/css"
media="screen, projection">

Netscape 4 only applies styles when media="screen" or media="all", it can't
handle, so ignores, styles suggested with a list of media types.

--
Iso.
Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010

Toby A Inkster

Isofarro wrote:

> Netscape 4 only applies styles when media="screen" or media="all", it can't
> handle, so ignores, styles suggested with a list of media types.

Actually, Netscape 4 only recognises media="screen" and media="print".
media="all" is also ignored.

But the example you gave:

> <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolumns.css" type="text/css"
> media="screen, projection">

is good practice (IMHO) and is what I do on my site.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

altamir

Isofarro <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolumns.css" type="text/css"
> media="screen, projection">
>
> Netscape 4 only applies styles when media="screen" or media="all", it
> can't handle, so ignores, styles suggested with a list of media types.

False. I've got Netscape 4.05 and 4.76 (win) and they both ignore
media="all".

--
altamir

jake

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bagman
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Sorry, I'm confused...
>I read somewhere that (because there are still a lot of Netscape 4
>users out there)
>it is a good idea to use at-import in a style... like this---
><STYLE type='text/css' media=screen>@import url(mycolumns.css);</STYLE>
>rather than a link like--
><link rel="stylesheet" href="styles/mycolums.css" type="text/css"
>media="all">
>in order to hide the StyleSheet from Netscape 4....(in hope of graceful
>degradation)

[snip]

Don't forget that Netscape 4 does understand some CSS, so there's no
need to present a completely un-styled page to NS4 users.

Just use 2 stylesheets: one for NS4 users and one for the others.

regards.
--
Jake

Isofarro

Toby A Inkster wrote:

> Isofarro wrote:
>
>> Netscape 4 only applies styles when media="screen" or media="all", it
>> can't handle, so ignores, styles suggested with a list of media types.

> Actually, Netscape 4 only recognises media="screen" and media="print".
> media="all" is also ignored.

I stand corrected!

--
Iso.
Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010

Robert Frost-Bridges

jake wrote:

> Don't forget that Netscape 4 does understand some CSS, so there's no
> need to present a completely un-styled page to NS4 users.
>
> Just use 2 stylesheets: one for NS4 users and one for the others.

No harm in that I guess if you want to, but I'm not sure it's worth the
effort anymore. If you keep your code clean than the ns4 visitors
should still get a useable page and I should imagine they're pretty
used to the way web pages are laid out if they are still using this
browser (maybe not through choice though, I know).

--
frostie
http://brightonfixedodds.net

jake

In message <bp8v6b$1lguun$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Robert
Frost-Bridges <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>jake wrote:
>

>> Don't forget that Netscape 4 does understand some CSS, so there's no
>> need to present a completely un-styled page to NS4 users.
>>
>> Just use 2 stylesheets: one for NS4 users and one for the others.

>No harm in that I guess if you want to, but I'm not sure it's worth the
>effort anymore. If you keep your code clean than the ns4 visitors
>should still get a useable page and I should imagine they're pretty
>used to the way web pages are laid out if they are still using this
>browser (maybe not through choice though, I know).

As you say, it depends on whether you think it's worth the effort.

The biggest problem is with layout; but colour and style of text,
background colour, etc. can be maintained without too much effort.

It's usually better than providing a completely unstyled page. Just
depends on who you think your audience is.

regards.
--
Jake