Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > adding to favorites

adding to favorites

Mark Barr

Can Someone please help

I am trying to prove that it is possible for a website to automatically
enter itself into your favorites without your knowledge

can anyone give me any links to any web sites that shpow how this is done or
have some code so I can prove it

I really need this and would greatly appreciate it

Mark

Michel

That's coherent to cheating your visitor.
Might be revolutionary for you... but serious people wouldn't come back to
your page
People rather choose to bookmark and put url's in appropriate folders.
Think about it.

michel

"Mark Barr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xyotb.290$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can Someone please help
>
> I am trying to prove that it is possible for a website to automatically
> enter itself into your favorites without your knowledge
>
> can anyone give me any links to any web sites that shpow how this is done

or
> have some code so I can prove it
>
> I really need this and would greatly appreciate it
>
> Mark

Mark Barr

Hi Michel

i agree and thats my point

i am being accused of having websites in my favorites list that i know I
have never visited

I am trying to prove that it is possible

I know pressing CTRL+D will bookmark a website without telling you

is it possible to simulate that on a web page

I really need help

Thanks

mark

"Michel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bp5842$nlc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's coherent to cheating your visitor.
> Might be revolutionary for you... but serious people wouldn't come back to
> your page
> People rather choose to bookmark and put url's in appropriate folders.
> Think about it.
>
> michel
>
> "Mark Barr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xyotb.290$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can Someone please help
> >
> > I am trying to prove that it is possible for a website to automatically
> > enter itself into your favorites without your knowledge
> >
> > can anyone give me any links to any web sites that shpow how this is

done
> or
> > have some code so I can prove it
> >
> > I really need this and would greatly appreciate it
> >
> > Mark

Wrm

> Hi Michel
>
> i agree and thats my point
>
> i am being accused of having websites in my favorites list that i know I
> have never visited

Ah, so you mean that site you __never have visited __ have bookmarked you
automatically when you __HAVE been__ there? After all that "code" must
been somewhere, no?

> I am trying to prove that it is possible
>
> I know pressing CTRL+D will bookmark a website without telling you
>
> is it possible to simulate that on a web page
>
> I really need help
>
> Thanks
>
> mark

My bet would be that it's more likely some program, trojan, or spyware in
your system that would have "bookmarked" that place if you have mysterious
bookmarks.

Mark Barr

Hi WYrm

yes I have had some pop up appear. You Know we are talking about porn sites
here

I have never directly visited them but have had pop up to porn sites before
from normal web pages.

I just need to prove it is possible for a web site to automatically add
itself to your favorites

any help is appreciated.

mark

"Wrm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bp5ah1$qm6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Michel
> >
> > i agree and thats my point
> >
> > i am being accused of having websites in my favorites list that i know I
> > have never visited

> Ah, so you mean that site you __never have visited __ have bookmarked you
> automatically when you __HAVE been__ there? After all that "code" must
> been somewhere, no?
>

> > I am trying to prove that it is possible
> >
> > I know pressing CTRL+D will bookmark a website without telling you
> >
> > is it possible to simulate that on a web page
> >
> > I really need help
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > mark

> My bet would be that it's more likely some program, trojan, or spyware in
> your system that would have "bookmarked" that place if you have mysterious
> bookmarks.

Bertilo Wennergren

Mark Barr wrote:

> yes I have had some pop up appear. You Know we are talking about porn sites
> here
> I have never directly visited them but have had pop up to porn sites before
> from normal web pages.

> I just need to prove it is possible for a web site to automatically add
> itself to your favorites

In Microsoft Explorer anything is possible. I suggest you use a securer
browser.

--
Bertilo Wennergren <(E-Mail Removed)> <http://www.bertilow.com>

Michel

lol.... I'd second that.

And, yes... I suppose it's possible.
You know I have found, on more than one occasion, this asswiping program
called GATOR on several computers, including my own, without any
recollection of clicking: "YES I WANNA have that stupid croc on my pc" on
either one of 'm.

Spyware and addware.

Any website appearing in my bookmarks, without me knowing about it, is damn
well sure to end up in my untrusted list..... no matter how good it is.

"Bertilo Wennergren" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bp5d2r$2fq$00$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Mark Barr wrote:
>
> > yes I have had some pop up appear. You Know we are talking about porn

sites
> > here
> > I have never directly visited them but have had pop up to porn sites

before
> > from normal web pages.

> > I just need to prove it is possible for a web site to automatically add
> > itself to your favorites

> In Microsoft Explorer anything is possible. I suggest you use a securer
> browser.
>
> --
> Bertilo Wennergren <(E-Mail Removed)> <http://www.bertilow.com>

Toby A Inkster

Mark Barr wrote:

> I just need to prove it is possible for a web site to automatically add
> itself to your favorites

I'm not sure that it is. Internet Explorer (and most other browsers) have
Javascript functions that will bookmark pages, but they always pop up
windows saying something along the lines of "Do you really want a
bookmark? If so, where do you want it and what do you want it to be called?"

In Internet Explorer, ActiveX may provide a loophole around the popup.

But it is more likely that you have installed some piece of software that
has added the bookmarks. Lots of file sharing programs do this apparently.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Nick Theodorakis

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:59:45 -0000, "Mark Barr"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can Someone please help
>
>I am trying to prove that it is possible for a website to automatically
>enter itself into your favorites without your knowledge
>
>can anyone give me any links to any web sites that shpow how this is done or
>have some code so I can prove it

PC Magazine ran an article a few months ago about spyware; I don't
know if it will answer your specific question, but it will give you a
general idea about what kind of mischief is around. See:

<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,977889,00.asp>

I might also suggest that you upgrade to a more secure browser.

Nick

--
Nick Theodorakis
nicholas_theodorakis [at] urmc [dot] rochester [dot] edu

Wrm

> And, yes... I suppose it's possible.
> You know I have found, on more than one occasion, this asswiping program
> called GATOR on several computers, including my own, without any
> recollection of clicking: "YES I WANNA have that stupid croc on my pc" on
> either one of 'm.
>
> Spyware and addware.
>
> Any website appearing in my bookmarks, without me knowing about it, is

damn
> well sure to end up in my untrusted list..... no matter how good it is.

Gator and other spyware is installed quite often by different P2P programs
like kazaa, imesh and such. Their lisences probably mention (very nicely
hidden so if you do not read all text you do not see that...) they are gonna
install some "3rd party" stuffs or something, and when you do not bother to
read and just hit AGREE (=with that you GIVE permission for them DO such
thing that is) and install things... Well, what else there is expected
besides lotsa spyware in system

There are some cases when gator, bonzi buddy etc kinda junk are installed
without mention in lisence, but those cases one can complaint about that
actually to creator of program and companies behind that particular
spyware... Then again, complaining might not work.

Best is not install any junk, or if you do install things, atleast DO run
AdAware (www.lavasoft.de) and/or Spybot Seek & Destroy
(http://security.kolla.de) and maybe also Spywareblaster
http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html just to be sure that in
your system no extra crap is installed

adding to favorites Prophet Javascript 1 06-22-2005 09:47 PM
Adding a "Favorites" icon Jordan ASP .Net 1 05-28-2005 08:27 PM
Adding an icon next to the site name in "Favorites" Jordan HTML 2 05-28-2005 12:57 PM
Adding Favorites repetitively in MSIE6 Terry Pinnell Computer Support 4 07-11-2004 06:13 AM
Newbie - Bookmarks from IE favorites Ted Doubtfire Firefox 1 07-24-2003 07:46 PM

Advertisments