Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Embedding WindowsMediaPlayer9 ??

Embedding WindowsMediaPlayer9 ??

Christopher R

Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how I can embed the windows media 9
player in my page so users don't have to download it to see my videos?

www.easydesktopyoga.com/download.html

Whitecrest

In article <bp0dfn$1iti2t$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how I can embed the windows media 9
> player in my page so users don't have to download it to see my videos?

Your viewers will ALWAYS have to download the player if they do not have
it (most windows machines have it.) But I dont think that is what you
are asking.

Here is the code to embed the video on a web page.

http://www.webreference.com/js/column51/install.html

Make the appropriate changes to it fits your needs.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Spartanicus

Bad idea: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm

http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

--
Spartanicus

Whitecrest

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) us.utvinternet.ie>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> >Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how I can embed the windows media 9
> >player in my page

> Bad idea: http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm
> >so users don't have to download it to see my videos?

> http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/streaming.htm

They had better checkout their info. They say: Streaming live content
like net-radio requires a "streaming media server", This is completely
untrue. If the user can download it faster than they need to view it.
Then it is streaming. Everything is client side.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Richard

Christopher! wrote:

> Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how I can embed the windows media 9
> player in my page so users don't have to download it to see my videos?

> www.easydesktopyoga.com/download.html

Ask the host if they allow running an application in the background.
Doing so may cause an overload on the equipment and drive up your bandwidth.
Then how are 100 simultaneous viewers gonna see the flick?
For each viewer, you'd have to have a sepertate instance running.

DU

Whitecrest wrote:

> In article <bp0dfn$1iti2t$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how I can embed the windows media 9
>>player in my page so users don't have to download it to see my videos?

> Your viewers will ALWAYS have to download the player if they do not have
> it (most windows machines have it.) But I dont think that is what you
> are asking.
>
> Here is the code to embed the video on a web page.
>
> http://www.webreference.com/js/column51/install.html

Column 51 was
Created: October 25, 1999
Revised: November 23, 1999

> Make the appropriate changes to it fits your needs.

WMP9 classid's is:
classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"

The given classid at that column51 is for WMP7 I think.

DU

Whitecrest

In article <bp1tt4$fnt$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Here is the code to embed the video on a web page.
> > http://www.webreference.com/js/column51/install.html

> Column 51 was
> Created: October 25, 1999
> Revised: November 23, 1999
> > Make the appropriate changes to it fits your needs.

> WMP9 classid's is:
> classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
> The given classid at that column51 is for WMP7 I think.

You still want to use the progid of 6.4 or 7.1 If you use 9's progID,
and they have not upgraded nothing will happen. If you use 6.4 or 7.1
and they have upgraded the upgraded version will play.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

George Self

Whitecrest wrote:

> In article <bp0dfn$1iti2t$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Can anyone point me to a tutorial on how I can embed the windows media 9
>> player in my page so users don't have to download it to see my videos?

> Your viewers will ALWAYS have to download the player if they do not have
> it (most windows machines have it.) But I dont think that is what you
> are asking.

Remember, though, that non-windows machines (Linux, for example) will not
have the Windows Media Player. If you chose to embed your media, consider
also creating a link so those of us using Linux can click-to-view if we
want.

> Here is the code to embed the video on a web page.
>
> http://www.webreference.com/js/column51/install.html
>
> Make the appropriate changes to it fits your needs.

--George

Christopher R

Thanks for these helpful insights. Take a look at:
http://www.reuters.com/news.jhtml and click on Reuters Television. Looks
like the flash player in embedded. Does anyone have thoughts about this?

Toby A Inkster

Whitecrest wrote:

> They had better checkout their info. They say: Streaming live content
> like net-radio requires a "streaming media server", This is completely
> untrue. If the user can download it faster than they need to view it.
> Then it is streaming. Everything is client side.

Well, that all depends on your definition of "streaming". A lot of people
would use a definition where there is *never* any file downloaded to the
user's computer except perhaps a codec or two, and maybe the media player
itself, but not the media file.

The media file is stored only on the server. The server sends parts of the
file, piece-by-piece to the client. The client plays and then discards
each piece.[1]

As the file is never saved to the user's disk it can prevent some less
engineering users from "pirating" the file. Of course without proper
encryption (which some streaming media servers do support, but seems to be
rarely used) this is hardly foolproof.

It is also useful if the media file is long (infinite? Think live
broadcasts!) so couldn't possibly be downloaded the user's hard-drive.

[1]This is how streaming works if you buy the proper media suites from
Real Networks, Microsoft, Apple, etc.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Embedding a Control in DataGrid =?Utf-8?B?SW1kYWQ=?= ASP .Net 1 01-24-2005 07:11 PM
embedding Perl Kris De Schutter Perl 1 08-18-2004 04:43 PM
Embedding Perl into C: Why? Frank Iannarilli Perl 1 06-03-2004 04:53 AM
Experts on embedding Perl in C wanted: Weird problem on RH7.3/Perl 5.6.1 David F. Skoll Perl 2 11-14-2003 05:37 PM
embedding perl in new language: dynaload problem Boris R. Perl 0 10-15-2003 06:23 PM

Advertisments