Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Steve Pugh

Steve Pugh

Richard

Why do you always put down somebody's use of something you don't personally
like?
Such as using mm instead of px or em's.
What browsers do not understand what a mm is?
If it's not displayed correctly using mm, it's the fault of the writer of
the browser who failed to implement it correctly.
Who are you to decide what a person will do their website?

Chris Morris

"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Why do you always put down somebody's use of something you don't personally
> like?

Well, if you don't personally like it because it's a bad idea, it's
reasonable. For example, I don't like websites that break, therefore
writing websites that break should be advised against.

> Such as using mm instead of px or em's.

Using em or (for some uses px) is the better option for screen media,
because browsers support them better. Using mm for print media may in
some cases be better.

> What browsers do not understand what a mm is?

Which browsers do? Very few if any get the monitor size (which won't
be available even via the OS a lot of the time), which is necessary to
scale mm on screen (and related, such as projection, tv) to be an
actual mm.

Quite a few support it for print, I expect.

> If it's not displayed correctly using mm, it's the fault of the writer of
> the browser who failed to implement it correctly.

Well, if you want to write websites that don't work in common web browsers,
go right ahead.

> Who are you to decide what a person will do their website?

Feel free at all times to ignore good advice (like "use code that
browsers can understand") but don't complain when it does break.

--
Chris

Leif K-Brooks

Richard wrote:

> Why do you always put down somebody's use of something you don't personally
> like?

I'll put my two cents in, even though I'm not Steve Pugh.

If not one made comments based on what they personally liked or
disliked, no one would say anything. All comments are based on opinion.

> Such as using mm instead of px or em's.

Mms are a physical size (they have to do with the measure of real
objects). Computers use pixels to measure things, and the physical size
of a pixel depends on the monitor size, resolution, and other things.

To render millimeters, centimeters, points, and inches on a screen, a
browser needs to know how to translate them into pixels. Most can be
configured to do so, but most visitors don't.

Even if the browser is configured correctly, they will not resize with
text. If the element contains text and has its width or height set with
absolute units, it will break for certain text sizes.

> Who are you to decide what a person will do their website?

No one. Usenet is about opinions, and it's your choice if you want to
follow his.

PeterMcC

Richard wrote:
> Why do you always put down somebody's use of something you don't
> personally like?
> Such as using mm instead of px or em's.
> What browsers do not understand what a mm is?
> If it's not displayed correctly using mm, it's the fault of the
> writer of the browser who failed to implement it correctly.
> Who are you to decide what a person will do their website?

Might I suggest that this would be more appropriate by email?

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Steve Pugh

Chris Morris <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>> Why do you always put down somebody's use of something you don't personally
>> like?

Hi Richard, for some reason your posts don't show up on my news server
any more. Maybe someone from Pipex doesn't like you.
So part from the parts Chris has quoted I have no idea what you've
said to/about me.

>> Such as using mm instead of px or em's.

>Using em or (for some uses px) is the better option for screen media,
>because browsers support them better. Using mm for print media may in
>some cases be better.

I'll second what Chris says.

mm are a physical measure 20mm should equal 20mm when you hold a ruler
up to the screen or along a print out. It rarely does.

Pixels (assuming the common browser definition of px = screen pixel
rather than the CSS spec definition) are useful for items that have an
inherent size in pixels, such as bitmap images.

em are useful for items that are derived from the font size, such as
margins and padding.

>> What browsers do not understand what a mm is?

Really understand? Very few.

Most play silly games with physical units (mm, inches, points, picas,
etc.) and convert them to pixels not based on the actual screen
resolution (i.e. the number of pixels in a measurable distance on the
screen) but by a virtual resolution (normally 96dpi - in other words
they assume there an inch is 96 pixels long regardless of how many
pixels it actually is).

But that's actually beside the point, even if all browsers did get
physical units correct, or even if they all got them wrong in the same
way they would still not be suitable for use on the screen. A margin
of 1 inch might be fine on a desktop, but would be ludicrous on a
palmtop.

You will of course remember this screenshot from when you were using
mm in your stargate page: http://steve.pugh.net/test/n7-screenshot.jpg

That misalignment was down to your use of mm (or was it cm) units.
The relationship between physical units and pixels was different on
your computer than it was on mine. By mixing physical units and pixels
you made sure that the page would fall apart for some number of users.

>> If it's not displayed correctly using mm, it's the fault of the writer of
>> the browser who failed to implement it correctly.

Chances are that most authors who usephysical units don't understand
what they should mean, let alone what they may do on actual browsers.

>> Who are you to decide what a person will do their website?

You seem to think I'm more important than I am. I'm just giving advice
based on knowledge and experience.

No need to reply, I almost certainly won't be able to see it.

Steve

Robert Frost-Bridges

PeterMcC wrote:

> Might I suggest that this would be more appropriate by email?

Probably, but where's the fun in that?

--
frostie
http://brightonfixedodds.net

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:42:03 -0600, "Richard"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why do you always put down somebody's use of something you don't personally
>like?

Because it's wrong. It's not "subjectively alternatively valid", it's
just wrong. This isn't post modernism, it's a technical subject

>Such as using mm instead of px or em's.

>What browsers do not understand what a mm is?

You're expressing a lack of clue here. The problem with mm is not
because they're "not understood", it's because they're well
understood, and they have a well-defined behaviour that's not useful
(in most cases). Now if you don't understand this, go read the
newgroup, because it has been explained a great many times already.

Andrew Tang

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why do you always put down somebody's use of something you don't

personally
> like?
> Such as using mm instead of px or em's.
> What browsers do not understand what a mm is?
> If it's not displayed correctly using mm, it's the fault of the writer of
> the browser who failed to implement it correctly.
> Who are you to decide what a person will do their website?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I do agree with all the other replies
posted but I don't think that's the point here. I think its mainly how the
suggestion is worded usually, and sometimes it can be misinterpreted as
cold, and sometimes a bit condenscending or patronising.
I've certainly done that (at both spetrums) accidently and wasn't my
intention. I guess we have to be aware of how we phrase our answers, so I
wouldn't take it too personally. As Steve Pugh saids himself, you making him
to be far more important than he really is (no offense Steve ).

And relax.

Andy

informant

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why do you always put down somebody's use of something you don't

personally
> like?

Maybe he knows what he's talking about, unlike the K00k from Wisconsin.

> Such as using mm instead of px or em's.
> What browsers do not understand what a mm is?
> If it's not displayed correctly using mm, it's the fault of the writer of
> the browser who failed to implement it correctly.

Dolt.

> Who are you to decide what a person will do their website?

Pipe down, Mr. Bullis.

From: "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: alt.html
Subject: Steve Pugh
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:42:03 -0600

informant

"Chris Morris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Why do you always put down somebody's use of something you don't

personally
> > like?

> Well, if you don't personally like it because it's a bad idea, it's
> reasonable. For example, I don't like websites that break, therefore
> writing websites that break should be advised against.

Good advice, hence Bullis is against it.

> > Such as using mm instead of px or em's.

> Using em or (for some uses px) is the better option for screen media,
> because browsers support them better. Using mm for print media may in
> some cases be better.
>
> > What browsers do not understand what a mm is?

> Which browsers do? Very few if any get the monitor size (which won't
> be available even via the OS a lot of the time), which is necessary to
> scale mm on screen (and related, such as projection, tv) to be an
> actual mm.
>
> Quite a few support it for print, I expect.
>
> > If it's not displayed correctly using mm, it's the fault of the writer

of
> > the browser who failed to implement it correctly.

> Well, if you want to write websites that don't work in common web

browsers,
> go right ahead.

Oh boy. That's all Bullis needs. Permission to write crap.

> > Who are you to decide what a person will do their website?

> Feel free at all times to ignore good advice

The Richard Bullis Mantra.

>(like "use code that
> browsers can understand") but don't complain when it does break.

P.O. Box Validation -- Hans?...Steve(Guru)? Simple Simon ASP .Net 3 10-09-2011 07:57 PM
Re: Crocodile Hunter - DEATH VIDEO - Steve Irwin - crocodile hunter - death video - steve irwin.exe (1/1) Mikey DVD Video 3 09-14-2006 05:52 PM
Mr. know it all Pugh Richard HTML 21 02-28-2005 12:43 PM
steve =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmU=?= Microsoft Certification 2 11-14-2004 09:36 PM
steve =?Utf-8?B?c3RldmU=?= Microsoft Certification 0 11-03-2004 05:16 PM

Advertisments