Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Interesting CSS opening menus

Interesting CSS opening menus

Nick Howes

This page has an example of an ingenious use of CSS to make fancy opening
menus in CSS with only a plain unordered list in the html:

http://phoenity.com/newtedge/horizontal_nav/

Looks very good. Does anybody know how browser compatible this is? Is it
CSS2 only or anything?

--
Nick H

Eric Bohlman

"Nick Howes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bosv29$ftt$(E-Mail Removed):

> This page has an example of an ingenious use of CSS to make fancy opening
> menus in CSS with only a plain unordered list in the html:
>
> http://phoenity.com/newtedge/horizontal_nav/
>
> Looks very good. Does anybody know how browser compatible this is? Is it
> CSS2 only or anything?

Works fine in Opera 7.21 (Win) and K-Meleon 0.8 (Win)(Based on Mozilla
1.5). In MSIE 6.0 (Win) it falls back to fully-expanded unstyled lists;
usable and accessible, but not pretty.

Nick Howes

"Nick Howes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bosv29$ftt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This page has an example of an ingenious use of CSS to make fancy opening
> menus in CSS with only a plain unordered list in the html:
>
> http://phoenity.com/newtedge/horizontal_nav/
>
> Looks very good. Does anybody know how browser compatible this is? Is it
> CSS2 only or anything?

Hmm, I just tried it in IE... didn't seem to load the stylesheet at all! Oh
dear.

Toby A Inkster

Nick Howes wrote:

> http://phoenity.com/newtedge/horizontal_nav/

Doesn't work in IE or in Opera below version 7. IIRC, probably won't work
in Netscae 6, although might in Netscape 6.1 or 6.2.

However, see the menus at http://devedge.netscape.com/, which are
similarly CSS2 based, but also include a little bit of Javascript to help
with backwards compatibility (in Netscape 6, IE 5 and Opera 6)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Isofarro

<http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors2/>