Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > quote, unquote

quote, unquote

William Tasso

Greetings one and all.

The mark up for quoted speech or, in this case, feedback is bugging me. I'm
currently using a list (<ul>...) to mark up the comments, but I feel I could
be doing more (or less) to make it clear that these are feedback comments.

Is there a useful primer or reference doc? or perhaps a clue someone would
like to share?

Thanks.
--
William Tasso

Zak McGregor

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:15:00 +0200, William Tasso <"William Tasso"
<(E-Mail Removed)>> wrote:

> Greetings one and all.
>
> The mark up for quoted speech or, in this case, feedback is bugging me.
> I'm currently using a list (<ul>...) to mark up the comments, but I feel
> I could be doing more (or less) to make it clear that these are feedback
> comments.
>
> Is there a useful primer or reference doc? or perhaps a clue someone
> would like to share?

Isn't that what <blockquote> is for?

Ciao

Zak
http://www.carfolio.com/ Searchable database of 10 000+ car specs
Auctioning motoring-related items at eBay? http://www.carfolio.com/ebay/

CJM

"William Tasso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:boqjof$1hedge$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Greetings one and all.
>
> The mark up for quoted speech or, in this case, feedback is bugging me.

I'm
> currently using a list (<ul>...) to mark up the comments, but I feel I

could
> be doing more (or less) to make it clear that these are feedback comments.
>
> Is there a useful primer or reference doc? or perhaps a clue someone

would
> like to share?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> William Tasso

William

I've got a horrible feeling I've misunderstood you(!)

Isn't the <blockquote> (and potentially <q>) the appropriate tag(s) for
this?
[personally I tend to style the tag as italics or use a different font as
well]

Is this a rare moment of insight for me, or have I missed the point again as
usual? lol

Cheer

Chris

William Tasso wrote:
> Greetings one and all.
>
> The mark up for quoted speech or, in this case, feedback is bugging me. I'm
> currently using a list (<ul>...) to mark up the comments, but I feel I could
> be doing more (or less) to make it clear that these are feedback comments.
>
> Is there a useful primer or reference doc? or perhaps a clue someone would
> like to share?
>
> Thanks.

I think that Zak and CJM are right about 'blockquote',
although I don't see why 'blockquote' and 'cite' can't
be embedded within a list of comments if you want.
Depending on how you nest things you might have to
change the 'display' style of some elements to get
a validation.

--
Cheers, m at http://www.mbstevens.com/

William Tasso

William Tasso wrote:

> The mark up for quoted speech or, in this case, feedback ....

Thank you. <blockquote> has indeed passed me by, as some guessed.

> Is there a useful primer or reference doc?

Prompted by the responses, I found this splendid work by Jukka
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/html/bq.html and now, having read it top to
bottom, I am inclined to leave the list of feedback comments marked up as a
list using CSS to suggest italics &c for presentation.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

George Self

Zak McGregor wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 14:15:00 +0200, William Tasso <"William Tasso"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>> wrote:
>
>> Greetings one and all.
>>
>> The mark up for quoted speech or, in this case, feedback is bugging me.
>> I'm currently using a list (<ul>...) to mark up the comments, but I feel
>> I could be doing more (or less) to make it clear that these are feedback
>> comments.
>>
>> Is there a useful primer or reference doc? or perhaps a clue someone
>> would like to share?

> Isn't that what <blockquote> is for?
>
> Ciao
>
> Zak
> http://www.carfolio.com/ Searchable database of 10 000+ car specs
> Auctioning motoring-related items at eBay? http://www.carfolio.com/ebay/

I'm not sure what you are doing, but you may also want to consider using a
definition list. If you are presenting feedback to some sort of
questionnaire you could list the question in a <dt> item and then all of
the feedback in a <dd> item. That would give you an interesting indentation
for your page.

--George

urllib2.unquote() vs unicode Maciej Bliziński Python 1 03-18-2008 06:24 AM
urllib.unquote + unicode koara Python 1 11-14-2007 06:20 AM
urllib.unquote and unicode George Sakkis Python 11 12-22-2006 03:28 PM
Extract until unquote or EOL Mats Perl Misc 4 07-18-2005 07:09 PM

Advertisments