Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Little problem with HTML

Little problem with HTML

Luca T.

Hello,
i need an idea about how to solve the following problem:
i need to show a popup menu with a couple of choices when an user clicks
on a link on my page.
In few words:
1) The user clicks on a link
2) A popup menu "pops up"
3) The user chooses an option from the popup menu
4) The page is redirected accordingly to the choice made by the user

This *must* work on:
- IE 5.5/6
- Mozilla 1.4/1.5
- Mozilla Firebird

Thank you,
Luca

--
Linux registered user #291568 (http://counter.li.org/)
Electronic Frontier Foundation Member (http://www.eff.org/)

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Luca T." <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:boqdk4$1greut$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> Hello,
> i need an idea about how to solve the following problem:
> i need to show a popup menu with a couple of choices when an user clicks
> on a link on my page.
> In few words:
> 1) The user clicks on a link
> 2) A popup menu "pops up"
> 3) The user chooses an option from the popup menu
> 4) The page is redirected accordingly to the choice made by the user
>
> This *must* work on:
> - IE 5.5/6
> - Mozilla 1.4/1.5
> - Mozilla Firebird
>
> Thank you,
> Luca

Hate to say this, but why must this be a pop-up? What about users who
block pop-ups? What about users without javascript, or javascript
disabled? Why not just a plain href?

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

Luca T.

Adrienne wrote:

> Hate to say this, but why must this be a pop-up? What about users who
> block pop-ups? What about users without javascript, or javascript
> disabled? Why not just a plain href?

Hmmmm not popup like a popup window... but popup like when you
right-click on the desktop.
If i can avoid javascript i will... what i am searching is a
pure-w3c-html/css solution.
In few words, i do not want to have to open a new page to let the user
choose.

Thanx,
Luca

--
Linux registered user #291568 (http://counter.li.org/)
Electronic Frontier Foundation Member (http://www.eff.org/)
Mandrake Club Member (http://www.mandrakeclub.com/)

rf

"Luca T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:boqgd6$1hdkrh$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Adrienne wrote:
>
> > Hate to say this, but why must this be a pop-up? What about users who
> > block pop-ups? What about users without javascript, or javascript
> > disabled? Why not just a plain href?

> Hmmmm not popup like a popup window... but popup like when you
> right-click on the desktop.
> If i can avoid javascript i will... what i am searching is a
> pure-w3c-html/css solution.

If you want an HTHM/CSS solution then it is not possible.

What you are looking for is javascript menus, thousands of which are
available at google.

Cheers
Richard.

William Tasso

rf wrote:
> "Luca T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:boqgd6$1hdkrh$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> Adrienne wrote:
>>
>>> Hate to say this, but why must this be a pop-up? What about users
>>> who block pop-ups? What about users without javascript, or
>>> javascript disabled? Why not just a plain href?

>> Hmmmm not popup like a popup window... but popup like when you
>> right-click on the desktop.
>> If i can avoid javascript i will... what i am searching is a
>> pure-w3c-html/css solution.

> If you want an HTHM/CSS solution then it is not possible.

But a solution that works is possible using javascript to provide the
enhanced hide/pop functionality.

> What you are looking for is javascript menus, thousands of which are
> available at google.

yukkie poo

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Michael Wilcox

William Tasso <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> But a solution that works is possible using javascript to provide the
> enhanced hide/pop functionality.

Define "works". "Works" as in only the users with a JavaScript enabled (and
with JavaScript on)? That doesn't seem very "working" to me.
--
Michael Wilcox
mjwilco at yahoo dot com

William Tasso

Michael Wilcox wrote:
> William Tasso <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> But a solution that works is possible using javascript to provide the
>> enhanced hide/pop functionality.

> Define "works".

links are accessible.

> "Works" as in only the users with a JavaScript
> enabled (and with JavaScript on)? That doesn't seem very "working" to
> me.

YMM(obviously)V

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Zak McGregor

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:23:52 +0200, rf <"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)>>
wrote:

> "Luca T." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:boqgd6$1hdkrh$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> Adrienne wrote:
>>
>> > Hate to say this, but why must this be a pop-up? What about users
>> > who block pop-ups? What about users without javascript, or
>> > javascript disabled? Why not just a plain href?

>> Hmmmm not popup like a popup window... but popup like when you
>> right-click on the desktop.
>> If i can avoid javascript i will... what i am searching is a
>> pure-w3c-html/css solution.

> If you want an HTHM/CSS solution then it is not possible.

Not even with some :active pseudo-selectors?

Ciao

Zak
http://www.carfolio.com/ Searchable database of 10 000+ car specs
Auctioning motoring-related items at eBay? http://www.carfolio.com/ebay/

Nico Schuyt

Luca T. wrote:
> Hello,
> i need an idea about how to solve the following problem:
> i need to show a popup menu with a couple of choices when an user
> clicks on a link on my page.
> In few words:
> 1) The user clicks on a link
> 2) A popup menu "pops up"
> 3) The user chooses an option from the popup menu
> 4) The page is redirected accordingly to the choice made by the user
>
> This *must* work on:
> - IE 5.5/6
> - Mozilla 1.4/1.5
> - Mozilla Firebird