Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Defeating Pop-up stoppers please?

Defeating Pop-up stoppers please?

Bill

Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

e.g It will bring up a window that will
LOOK like a Pop-up
FEEL like a Pop-up
Allow a name and e-mail entry
BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

Bill

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:boqcsq$2an$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello Programmers,
> I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
> to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
>
> e.g It will bring up a window that will
> LOOK like a Pop-up
> FEEL like a Pop-up
> Allow a name and e-mail entry
> BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc
>
> Bill

I use Opera because it blocks pop-ups. I also use the Google toolbar for
IE to do the same. I don't like pop-ups, and I avoid sites that use them.

Further, what about users without javascript?

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

Jukka K. Korpela

"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
> to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

OK, tell us when you have found something, so that we can upgrade our
killers faster. TIA.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

rf

news:boqcsq$2an$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Programmers,
> I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
> to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
>
> e.g It will bring up a window that will
> LOOK like a Pop-up
> FEEL like a Pop-up
> Allow a name and e-mail entry
> BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

You *must* be kidding. Popup stopers stop popups. Full stop. You can *not*
get around them.

Cheers
Richard.

Alan D-W

news:boqcsq$2an$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Programmers,
> I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
> to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
>
> e.g It will bring up a window that will
> LOOK like a Pop-up
> FEEL like a Pop-up
> Allow a name and e-mail entry
> BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

Don't you believe that if people run popup stoppers it's because they want
to stop popups? Don't you feel that if, despite their popup stoppers you
pop them a popup then they will immediately pop off somewhere else? Do you
think I'd be able to repeat that tonight after three pints?
Alan

Warren Oates

In article <Xns94301AB7CC3CCarbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158>,
Adrienne <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:Further, what about users without javascript?

I agree about pop-ups, they annoy the users, and I think we should avoid
them. JavaScript, but, is such an integral part of the thing that I
don't care about people who have: a. an old browser that doesn't support
it; b. turned it off out of some mis-placed paranoia; c. lynx. I use
simple JS for all sorts of things that need to be done client-side.
--
Looks like more of Texas to me.
.... Arizona, where the nights are warm and the roads are straight.

Michael Wilcox

Warren Oates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I use simple JS for all sorts of things that need to be done
> client-side.

What do you use it for that so important you would eliminate a portion of
your user base for it?
--
Michael Wilcox
mjwilco at yahoo dot com

Robert Hampton

Bill wrote:
> Hello Programmers,
> I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
> to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
>
> e.g It will bring up a window that will
> LOOK like a Pop-up
> FEEL like a Pop-up
> Allow a name and e-mail entry
> BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer etc

Didn't you just ask this question a week ago? Get a clue.

--
Robert Hampton
Genesis POS

Whitecrest

In article <Xns94301AB7CC3CCarbpenyahoocom@207.115.63.158>, arbpen2003
@sbcglobal.net says...
> I use Opera because it blocks pop-ups. I also use the Google toolbar for
> IE to do the same. I don't like pop-ups, and I avoid sites that use them.

If you have blockers, then what is the difference if you visit the site
or not?

> Further, what about users without javascript?

They don't get to see it.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Grunff

Warren Oates wrote:

> :Further, what about users without javascript?
>
> I agree about pop-ups, they annoy the users, and I think we should avoid
> them. JavaScript, but, is such an integral part of the thing that I
> don't care about people who have: a. an old browser that doesn't support
> it; b. turned it off out of some mis-placed paranoia; c. lynx. I use
> simple JS for all sorts of things that need to be done client-side.

You're forgetting: d. corporate desktop users who don't get a
say in the matter and have JS turned off for them.

Depending on your target audience, the daytime corporate users
can be a significant percentage (and one with good spending
potential). Not a bunch you want to miss out on.

--
Grunff

Defeating pop-up stoppers? Bill Java 10 01-03-2004 04:37 PM
Defeating pop-up stoppers please? Bill Javascript 51 12-15-2003 10:30 PM
Defeating Pop-up stoppers please? Bill Java 23 11-21-2003 10:15 AM
Defeat popup stoppers? Bill HTML 30 11-14-2003 07:26 AM
Defeating Popup Stoppers Bill Java 6 11-07-2003 01:56 PM

Advertisments