Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS3 opacity support in Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1

CSS3 opacity support in Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1

DU

According to a recent post, it seems that Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1
support CSS3 opacity style property under a proprietary name:

"Support for the CSS3 opacity (using -khtml-opacity) property. Make
entire blocks and inlines transparent without resorting to transparent
PNGs."
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/hyatt...10.html#004249

Now, I have a demo page which works for MSIE 6 for Windows and
Mozilla-based browsers but since I don't have Linux installed (and don't
have Mac OSX 10.3) and since I can not test such demo with Konqueror
3.1+ and/or Safari 1.1, I wish someone could test this and tell me if
the demo works.

http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...icOpacity.html

In particular, I don't know for sure how to declare that property and
how to access it.

In the code, I declared it as
-khtml-opacity:0.7
and accessed it as
objRef.style.KhtmlOpacity = newValue;

I could not find documentation on this matter anywhere. Do you know
where I could find such documentation on such issue?

Is the demo working in Konqueror 3.1+ and/or in Safari 1.1? If not, do
you know the correct way to declare and access the style property?

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...e7Section.html

AD.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:05:45 -0500, DU wrote:

> Is the demo working in Konqueror 3.1+ and/or in Safari 1.1? If not, do you
> know the correct way to declare and access the style property?

I'm not sure what your desired result is, but I can see a picture of
Krusty in Konqueror but not in Firebird. Is that what you needed to know?

Cheers
Anton

DU

AD. wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:05:45 -0500, DU wrote:
>

>>Is the demo working in Konqueror 3.1+ and/or in Safari 1.1? If not, do you
>>know the correct way to declare and access the style property?

> I'm not sure what your desired result is, but I can see a picture of
> Krusty in Konqueror but not in Firebird. Is that what you needed to know?
>
> Cheers
> Anton

As you mouse over the image, the picture should progressively become
opaque. Once the mouse is out of the image, the picture should
progressively become transparent.
The picture is in the center of the page.

This process works flawlessly in Mozilla-based browsers (including
Firebird) and in MSIE 6 for windows: tested, verified and working.

Today, I added some code which, I think, should also work for Konqueror
3.1+ (and apparently also for Safari 1.1) but I can not see this, verify
this myself. Thus asking Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1 users to try the
demo.

DU
--

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:12:10 -0500, DU wrote:

> As you mouse over the image, the picture should progressively become
> opaque. Once the mouse is out of the image, the picture should
> progressively become transparent.
> The picture is in the center of the page.
>
> This process works flawlessly in Mozilla-based browsers (including
> Firebird) and in MSIE 6 for windows: tested, verified and working.

I get no dynamic effect in either browser (Konq or Firebird) on Linux.

The picture is either there (Konq) or it isn't (Firebird).

Cheers
Anton

DU

AD. wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:12:10 -0500, DU wrote:
>

>>As you mouse over the image, the picture should progressively become
>>opaque. Once the mouse is out of the image, the picture should
>>progressively become transparent.
>>The picture is in the center of the page.
>>
>>This process works flawlessly in Mozilla-based browsers (including
>>Firebird) and in MSIE 6 for windows: tested, verified and working.

> I get no dynamic effect in either browser (Konq or Firebird) on Linux.
>
> The picture is either there (Konq) or it isn't (Firebird).
>
> Cheers
> Anton

I'm using Firebird 0.7 (build 20031007) for windows and the continuous
change of opacity is rendered.
Thank you for your feedback on Konqueror: what was Konqueror version number?

Thanks again: this is appreciated.

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...e7Section.html

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:50:05 -0500, DU is reported to have
stated:
>>>As you mouse over the image, the picture should progressively become
>>>opaque. Once the mouse is out of the image, the picture should
>>>progressively become transparent.
>>>The picture is in the center of the page.

> I'm using Firebird 0.7 (build 20031007) for windows and the continuous
> change of opacity is rendered.

Works in Moz 1.5 (Win2k). The picture starts just slightly transparent,
rather than totally opaque (or transparent) - is that right?

Doesn't work in O7.21

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

DU

Mark Parnell wrote:

> Sometime around Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:50:05 -0500, DU is reported to have
> stated:

>>I'm using Firebird 0.7 (build 20031007) for windows and the continuous
>>change of opacity is rendered.

> Works in Moz 1.5 (Win2k). The picture starts just slightly transparent,
> rather than totally opaque (or transparent) - is that right?

Right. It starts at 70% of opacity. This is the style declaration:

style="filter:alpha(opacity=70); -moz-opacity:0.7; -khtml-opacity:0.7;"

> Doesn't work in O7.21

I know that the demo works in MSIE 6 for Windows, in Mozilla 1.2+, in
K-meleon 0.7, in Firebird 0.6+ for Windows, in NS 7.x for Windows. What
I do not know (and I can not verify this nor interactively tune my code
in anyway) is if Konqueror 3.1+ and/or Safari 1.1 render accordingly the
demo. More precisely if this style declaration is correct for Konqueror
3.1+ and Safari 1.1:

-khtml-opacity:0.7;

and more importantly if this dynamic modification of the style property
is correct for Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1:

objRef.style.KhtmlOpacity = newValue;
where newValue is a string of value in the [0.0] to [1.0] range as
specified by CSS3 opacity property in the color module.

I can't find any online documentation (CSS support of the KHTML
rendering engine) at kde.org.

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...e7Section.html

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:14:43 -0500, DU is reported to have
stated:

> I know that the demo works in MSIE 6 for Windows, in Mozilla 1.2+, in
> K-meleon 0.7, in Firebird 0.6+ for Windows, in NS 7.x for Windows. What
> I do not know (and I can not verify this nor interactively tune my code
> in anyway) is if Konqueror 3.1+ and/or Safari 1.1 render accordingly the
> demo. More precisely if this style declaration is correct for Konqueror
> 3.1+ and Safari 1.1:
>
> -khtml-opacity:0.7;
>
> and more importantly if this dynamic modification of the style property
> is correct for Konqueror 3.1+ and Safari 1.1:
>
> objRef.style.KhtmlOpacity = newValue;
> where newValue is a string of value in the [0.0] to [1.0] range as
> specified by CSS3 opacity property in the color module.
>
> I can't find any online documentation (CSS support of the KHTML
> rendering engine) at kde.org.

Hmmm...will have a play with it on my Linux box (can't remember what
version of Konqueror is on it, mind you) and get back to you (if someone
else doesn't beat me to it).

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Richard Cornford

"DU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnqa8g$pnc$(E-Mail Removed)...
<snip>
>I do not know (and I can not verify this nor interactively tune
>my code in anyway) is if Konqueror 3.1+ and/or Safari 1.1 render
>accordingly the demo. ...

<snip>

A few months ago, reading one Usenet group or another, I noticed a
reference to:-

(I think there was also a knoppix.org or knoppix.com URL with a choice
of languages as well, google searching for "knoppix" would probably turn
those up.)

- which is an interesting (German based) project to make a self-booting
CD ROM containing a cut down but fully working Linux OS. They make the
ISO image for the CD available for download and also sell pre-burnt
versions (as far as I could tell, in German and US English). The
download is 650+ megabytes (4 hours on broadband) but the resulting CD
has happily booted to a working Linux/KDE environment with Konqueror 3.1
(and Linux Mozilla 1.4) on about 3 out of 4 or the x86 desktop PCs that
I have tried it with to date. Hard disc access is read only but the
result is the ability to test with Konqueror 3 without having to commit
a hard disk to running Linux (and the ability to carry the CD with me
and run Konqueror 3 wherever I happen to find myself).

Richard.

AD.

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:50:05 -0500, DU wrote:

> I'm using Firebird 0.7 (build 20031007) for windows and the continuous
> change of opacity is rendered.
> Thank you for your feedback on Konqueror: what was Konqueror version
> number?

I'm using Konq 3.1.3 on KDE 3.1.4 on Debian unstable (Sid) using the main
distro packages.

Firebird was 0.6.1 also from Debian Sid.

I suspect the problem might have more to do with the limitations of
XFree86 (currently 4.2.1) than the browsers. But I'm not that sure about
it

BTW Opera 7.11 on Linux shows the image, but no transparency effects.

Cheers
Anton