Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Self loading html file

Self loading html file

mlp@flash.net

Hello,

I hope this isn't too far off topic for this newsgroup. If you feel
there is a better group to pose this question, please let me know....

I want to bundle a promotion for our Chamber of Commerce which will be a
"virtual driving tour" of our historic district. It will be quite large
because of all the pictures so I want the user to be able to download
the file for viewing in case they have a dial up link. That way they'll
have a local copy for quick loading and viewing.

I thought I'd zip all of the files in a self extracting WinZip file and
have it automatically execute when started. I know how, with WinZip, to
start an executable file that is contained within the zip file but do
not know how to make it start an html file. I can't make it run IE or
Netscape because I don't know which the user will have.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Marty Porter

Safalra

"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I thought I'd zip all of the files in a self extracting WinZip file and
> have it automatically execute when started. I know how, with WinZip, to
> start an executable file that is contained within the zip file but do
> not know how to make it start an html file.

I don't think it can be done.

> I can't make it run IE or
> Netscape because I don't know which the user will have.

But you're certain the user will be running Windows? .zip files use a
standard compression system and can be unzipped on other platforms,
but .exe self-extracting zips only work on Windows.

--- Stephen Morley ---
http://www.safalra.com

Toby A Inkster

Safalra wrote:

> But you're certain the user will be running Windows? .zip files use a
> standard compression system and can be unzipped on other platforms,
> but .exe self-extracting zips only work on Windows.

Bzzzt! Try again! Self extracting EXEs (at least those made with PKZip and
WinZip) are also valid ZIP files and can be unzipped using standard
unzipping tools on any operating system (the EXE header and code are
stored in the ZIP file's padding section, so they are ignored).

I use Linux and never have any trouble unzipping self-extracting EXE files
(and no, I don't use WINE).

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS