Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > basic html page: shows up in Win98, NOT in WinXP (usually)...!!!?

Reply
Thread Tools

basic html page: shows up in Win98, NOT in WinXP (usually)...!!!?

 
 
Reuben L.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2003
any ideas what might be going on?

I've got some webspace, that came w/my ISP... and I've put up a one-page
HTML, just for practice... and lately, it can NOT be seen on my Windows XP
computer... I get a 'page not found' error. however, if I walk over to my
Windows 98 machine, it comes up every time.
occasionally, my XP computer will show it to me... usually not. (IE6, SP1
on both computers, firewall/antivirus disabled to make sure)

to further complicate: I just now restarted my XP machine in 'safe mode
with networking support', started IE6, and it showed me the page with NO
problem! and... when I restarted XP in normal mode, (it's current state)
it AGAIN was able to show it to me! so at the moment, it's working fine...

why is this so inconsistent? I'm wondering if it's more due to my
particular computer's configuration, than anything else... except: I sent
the link to a friend of mine (windows 2000) in the Czech Republic, and he
got back to me, saying that he couldn't see the page either!

oh, here is the 'base' page:
http://w3.bllvwa.cablespeed.com/~surfshop/
I also bought a domain name, and have it forwarded to the above address:
but I don't think it makes any difference. if I can't get to one, I can't
get to the other....
that one is http://www.surfshopcomputers.net/

any suggestions? I made the page with Mozilla's
composer- html editor.

~Reuben

ReubenL1 --at-- hotmail.com










 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jay
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2003

"Reuben L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> any ideas what might be going on?
>
> I've got some webspace, that came w/my ISP... and I've put up a one-page
> HTML, just for practice... and lately, it can NOT be seen on my Windows

XP
> computer... I get a 'page not found' error. however, if I walk over to

my
> Windows 98 machine, it comes up every time.
> occasionally, my XP computer will show it to me... usually not. (IE6,

SP1
> on both computers, firewall/antivirus disabled to make sure)


<snip>

> oh, here is the 'base' page:
> http://w3.bllvwa.cablespeed.com/~surfshop/
> I also bought a domain name, and have it forwarded to the above address:
> but I don't think it makes any difference. if I can't get to one, I can't
> get to the other....
> that one is http://www.surfshopcomputers.net/



Running Windows 2000 (IE6) and found the following...

http://w3.bllvwa.cablespeed.com/~surfshop/ returns: The page cannot be
displayed

http://www.surfshopcomputers.net/ returns: Action canceled

When I try with Mozilla or Netscape it gives me the following message: "The
document contains no data".

- J


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Denise Enck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2003
"Reuben L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> any ideas what might be going on?
>
> I've got some webspace, that came w/my ISP... and I've put up a one-page
> HTML, just for practice... and lately, it can NOT be seen on my Windows

XP
> computer... I get a 'page not found' error. however, if I walk over to

my
> Windows 98 machine, it comes up every time.
> occasionally, my XP computer will show it to me... usually not. (IE6,

SP1
> on both computers, firewall/antivirus disabled to make sure)
>
> to further complicate: I just now restarted my XP machine in 'safe mode
> with networking support', started IE6, and it showed me the page with NO
> problem! and... when I restarted XP in normal mode, (it's current

state)
> it AGAIN was able to show it to me! so at the moment, it's working fine...
>
> why is this so inconsistent? I'm wondering if it's more due to my
> particular computer's configuration, than anything else... except: I

sent
> the link to a friend of mine (windows 2000) in the Czech Republic, and he
> got back to me, saying that he couldn't see the page either!
>
> oh, here is the 'base' page:
> http://w3.bllvwa.cablespeed.com/~surfshop/
> I also bought a domain name, and have it forwarded to the above address:
> but I don't think it makes any difference. if I can't get to one, I can't
> get to the other....
> that one is http://www.surfshopcomputers.net/
>
> any suggestions? I made the page with Mozilla's
> composer- html editor.
>
> ~Reuben
>
> ReubenL1 --at-- hotmail.com
>


Hi Reuben ~

I can access it okay here (IE or Mozilla) on XP.
But when I tried to run it through the validator (validator.w3.org) I got
an error:

"I got the following unexpected response when trying to retrieve
<http://w3.bllvwa.cablespeed.com/~surfshop/>: 500 Can't connect to
w3.bllvwa.cablespeed.com:80 (Timeout)"

I tried again and it did connect (and the good news is your page is almost
valid). Tried again & got a timeout again.

Looks like it may be a problem with your ISP - I'd ask them.

best,
Denise


 
Reply With Quote
 
Marc Nadeau
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2003
Reuben L. a écrit:

> any ideas what might be going on?
>
> I've got some webspace, that came w/my ISP... and I've put up a one-page
> HTML, just for practice... and lately, it can NOT be seen on my Windows
> XP
> computer... I get a 'page not found' error. however, if I walk over to
> my Windows 98 machine, it comes up every time.
> occasionally, my XP computer will show it to me... usually not. (IE6,
> SP1
> on both computers, firewall/antivirus disabled to make sure)
>
> to further complicate: I just now restarted my XP machine in 'safe mode
> with networking support', started IE6, and it showed me the page with NO
> problem! and... when I restarted XP in normal mode, (it's current
> state) it AGAIN was able to show it to me! so at the moment, it's working
> fine...
>
> why is this so inconsistent? I'm wondering if it's more due to my
> particular computer's configuration, than anything else... except: I
> sent the link to a friend of mine (windows 2000) in the Czech Republic,
> and he got back to me, saying that he couldn't see the page either!
>
> oh, here is the 'base' page:
> http://w3.bllvwa.cablespeed.com/~surfshop/
> I also bought a domain name, and have it forwarded to the above address:
> but I don't think it makes any difference. if I can't get to one, I can't
> get to the other....
> that one is http://www.surfshopcomputers.net/
>
> any suggestions? I made the page with Mozilla's
> composer- html editor.
>
> ~Reuben
>
> ReubenL1 --at-- hotmail.com


I can see your page in konqueror.

The design is not bad at all for a practice.

I suggest that you use an external style sheet.

Y'oull save a lot of time if you intend to have more than a single page.

I also have the
500 Can't connect to w3.bllvwa.cablespeed.com:80 (Timeout)"
message when trying to validate it with the w3c.

I suspect the problem to be with your ISPs server.

--
Marc Nadeau
La Pagerie
http://www.pagerie.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Reuben L.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2003
wow, you guys are great! thanks, and Merci. (and I'm glad you liked the
design! such as it is...)

ok, next question...
what is an 'external style sheet'? sounds like a 'format' tool, or
something.

another question: yes, I plan to have multiple pages... but I don't know
how to do that with my 'forrwarded and masked' domain name!
do I need an 'actual' host for my domain name, to do multiple pages?

another question: what do I TELL my ISP? the guy I talked to 3 days ago
said 'no problem seeing it here' ... he was using Windows 2000.

is it possible I did something wrong in my design? or is it all on the
ISP's shoulders?

thanks, & Merci again..

~Reuben





"Marc Nadeau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FeEnb.15694$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Reuben L. a écrit:
>
> > any ideas what might be going on?
> >
> > I've got some webspace, that came w/my ISP... and I've put up a

one-page
> > HTML, just for practice... and lately, it can NOT be seen on my Windows
> > XP
> > computer... I get a 'page not found' error. however, if I walk over

to
> > my Windows 98 machine, it comes up every time.
> > occasionally, my XP computer will show it to me... usually not. (IE6,
> > SP1
> > on both computers, firewall/antivirus disabled to make sure)
> >
> > to further complicate: I just now restarted my XP machine in 'safe

mode
> > with networking support', started IE6, and it showed me the page with NO
> > problem! and... when I restarted XP in normal mode, (it's current
> > state) it AGAIN was able to show it to me! so at the moment, it's

working
> > fine...
> >
> > why is this so inconsistent? I'm wondering if it's more due to my
> > particular computer's configuration, than anything else... except: I
> > sent the link to a friend of mine (windows 2000) in the Czech Republic,
> > and he got back to me, saying that he couldn't see the page either!
> >
> > oh, here is the 'base' page:
> > http://w3.bllvwa.cablespeed.com/~surfshop/
> > I also bought a domain name, and have it forwarded to the above address:
> > but I don't think it makes any difference. if I can't get to one, I

can't
> > get to the other....
> > that one is http://www.surfshopcomputers.net/
> >
> > any suggestions? I made the page with Mozilla's
> > composer- html editor.
> >
> > ~Reuben
> >
> > ReubenL1 --at-- hotmail.com

>
> I can see your page in konqueror.
>
> The design is not bad at all for a practice.
>
> I suggest that you use an external style sheet.
>
> Y'oull save a lot of time if you intend to have more than a single page.
>
> I also have the
> 500 Can't connect to w3.bllvwa.cablespeed.com:80 (Timeout)"
> message when trying to validate it with the w3c.
>
> I suspect the problem to be with your ISPs server.
>
> --
> Marc Nadeau
> La Pagerie
> http://www.pagerie.com



 
Reply With Quote
 
Reuben L.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2003
ok, html boys and girls...
I just went to that http://validator.w3.org site, and for giggles, uploaded
my 'index.html' doc, and it came back with this friendly message:
"This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!"

great!

so here's the rest of it... how do I 'decode' it? are there changes I
should make?

the little red marks (the ^ symbols) are all under the "o>" tag.

what did I do? or... what did Mozilla/Composer do? (or is it relevant?)

~Reuben


Jump To: [Results]
File: E:\Documents and Settings\oscar\My Documents\WEBPAGE\index.html
Encoding: iso-8859-1
Doctype: HTML 4.01 Transitional
Errors: 3

This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!


Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
parser.

Line 30, column 47: element "O

style="font-weight: bold;">omputers</span><o></o></span></div>

^
Line 35, column 38: element "O

Hadlock, Washington ~ 98339</span><o></o></span></h4>
^
Line 39, column 18: element "O

379-9535</big><o></o></span></h4>
^


 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-30-2003

"Reuben L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>
> Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an SGML
> parser.
>
> Line 30, column 47: element "O
>
> style="font-weight: bold;">omputers</span><o></o></span></div>


There is no "o" element in HTML. Who put that there? Your "wisiwyg" editor?

Cheers
Richard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Eric Bohlman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-31-2003
"Reuben L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!
>
>
> Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an
> SGML parser.
>
> Line 30, column 47: element "O
>
> style="font-weight: bold;">omputers</span><o></o></span></div>


<o> looks suspiciously like a p element written with an XML namespace
prefix. However, HTML 4.01 Transitional is an SGML doctype, not an XML
doctype, and therefore XML namespace prefixes aren't allowed. Is it
possible that you need to be validating against one of the XHTML doctypes
instead?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Reuben L.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
ya kind of lost me...!

I'm very new at html, so I really don't know what 'standard' or 'format' I
should be following.
I created it in Mozillla's Composer... and thought it was good to go! can
I select a different 'doctype' or whatever?
pardon my misuse of the terms....

what do you recommend?

my goal: a very simple webpage, readable by ANYthing... opera, netscape,
mozilla, IE, Jim-Bob's Browsers-R-Us, whatever.

~Reuben


"Eric Bohlman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9425177727371ebohlmanomsdevcom@130.133.1.4 ...
> "Reuben L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > This page is not Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional!
> >
> >
> > Below are the results of attempting to parse this document with an
> > SGML parser.
> >
> > Line 30, column 47: element "O
> >
> > style="font-weight: bold;">omputers</span><o></o></span></div>

>
> <o> looks suspiciously like a p element written with an XML namespace
> prefix. However, HTML 4.01 Transitional is an SGML doctype, not an XML
> doctype, and therefore XML namespace prefixes aren't allowed. Is it
> possible that you need to be validating against one of the XHTML doctypes
> instead?



 
Reply With Quote
 
William Tasso
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
Reuben L. wrote:
>
> I'm very new at html,
> ...
> my goal: a very simple webpage, readable by ANYthing... opera,
> netscape, mozilla, IE, Jim-Bob's Browsers-R-Us, whatever.
>


Then start over.
Choose a doctype - 4.01 strict is usually recommended for new web documents
Choose encoding
declare a <title>...</title>
In your <body> use only the following

<h...>...</h...>
<p>..</p>
<ul><li>..</li>...</ul>
<a href="...">...</a>
<img alt="..." src="...">

use <table> if you must - that is if you have tabular data to present.

specifically, do not use:
<font>
<center>

This will work in *ALL[1]* user agents.

When you have your document structure sorted, add a link to an external
stylesheet and start to suggest colours, sizes etc.

[1] e&oe - to the best of my knowledge and belief.
--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IE shows false and Firefox shows true Gianni Javascript 3 07-10-2009 09:18 PM
WinXP Home W/SP2 Task Bar That Shows programs Disappeared Keith Computer Support 2 09-05-2006 12:59 PM
when I add HTML to innerHTML, FireFox renders it as HTML, but IE shows it as plain text Jake Barnes Javascript 9 02-21-2006 10:37 AM
Session var in page_load shows old value, buttonclick shows new . Whats wrong gce ASP .Net 0 05-07-2005 06:50 AM
Viewer ONLY shows Code - Not Html John Baker ASP .Net 0 02-08-2005 01:59 PM



Advertisments