Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Class ID?

Class ID?

Franklin P Patchey

I am building a website and have copied this code from a website in order to
play a movie on mine
Mozilla won't play the movie as says the classid cannot be verified or
something?

What is the classid and why is it needed?

<OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer1"
classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
codebase=

"http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Versi
on=5,1,52,701"
standby="Loading Microsoft® Windows® Media Player components..."
type="application/x-oleobject">
<PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="True">
<PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="media/video/x.mpeg">
<PARAM NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="True">
<PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="True">
<EMBED type="application/x-mplayer2"
pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/"
SRC="test.avi"
name="MediaPlayer1"
width=240
height=180
autostart=0
showcontrols=0>
</EMBED>
</OBJECT>

Richard

Franklin P Patchey wrote:

> I am building a website and have copied this code from a website in
> order to
> play a movie on mine
> Mozilla won't play the movie as says the classid cannot be verified or
> something?

> What is the classid and why is it needed?

I trust you are not trying to implement this particular coding as is?
The class id in this case is referring to a location within the computer
system itself.
Then the rest of the coding goes to initiating the values for the program
controls which eventually get shown on the screen.
This [classid] is not the same class id as in "div#page1{}"

This coding example is truly for those who have full grasp on how things
work properly.
Do not use it until you do.

Whitecrest

In article <bnkaq6$f7k$(E-Mail Removed)>, REMOVETHIS101001
@talk21.com says...
> What is the classid and why is it needed?

A class ID is what identifies an activeX object (I.e. the embedded media
player) The class ID is entered into the registry of the windows
computer.

In the case of Mozilla and Netscape (other than 7.1 which correctly
handles activeX objects) they use Plugins to run the ActiveX objects
(hence <embed>)

Make sure you have everything installed correctly and try again. Or go
to a site that you know works and steal their HTML code, and modify it
for your stream.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

Toby A Inkster

Franklin P Patchey wrote:

> <OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer1"
> classid="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
> codebase=
>
> "http://activex.microsoft.com/activex/controls/mplayer/en/nsmp2inf.cab#Versi
> on=5,1,52,701"
> standby="Loading Microsoft® Windows® Media Player components..."
> type="application/x-oleobject">
> <PARAM NAME="AutoStart" VALUE="True">
> <PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="media/video/x.mpeg">
> <PARAM NAME="ShowControls" VALUE="True">
> <PARAM NAME="ShowStatusBar" VALUE="True">
> <EMBED type="application/x-mplayer2"
> pluginspage="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/MediaPlayer/"
> SRC="test.avi"
> name="MediaPlayer1"
> width=240
> height=180
> autostart=0
> showcontrols=0>
> </EMBED>
> </OBJECT>

A whole bunch of proprietry code. Instead try:

<object id="MediaPlayer1" data="media/video/x.mpeg"
type="application/x-mplayer2" width="240" height="180">
<h5>Embedded Object</h5>
<h6>Help</h6>
the correct plugins for <code>application/x-mplayer2</code> or
for viewing later. If neither of these is a possibility, a brief
description of what you're missing out on follows.</p>
<h6>Description</h6>
</object>

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Franklin P Patchey

Toby I have tried your code but it brings a warning up on the window saying
a active x control may be unsafe interacting with something and if you
click ok (go ahead) it opens the movie in the main windows media player
window

What is wrong with that class id thing i still don't understand - does it
alter something on your pc when u open the page??

Toby A Inkster

Franklin P Patchey wrote:

> What is wrong with that class id thing i still don't understand - does it
> alter something on your pc when u open the page??

It is a nasty attribute.

Instead of saying "play this file", it says "embed this plugin". There are
plenty of browsers that are unable to embed that plugin because they don't
support ActiveX, but that are still able to play the file -- either by
using a different plugin, or by launching the file in an appropriate
window.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS