Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Resizing within css

Resizing within css

Paul F. Johnson

Hi,

I have a bit of css which looks like this...

#container {
position: relative;
width: 680px;
margin: auto;
padding: 0;
color: #000;
background: #eee
url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/backdrop.png") no-repeat scroll -30% 30%;
border: #443b2c 1px solid;
text-align: left;
height: auto;
}

Having played around with the stylesheet so that my 100 x 100px backdrop
is automagically resized to fill everything under the banner, I find that
I can't. I can fiddle with the positioning by altering the -30% 30% (0 20%
was fine IIRC), but I am unable to scale the image correctly.

Can it be done so that irrespective the size of the screen, the backdrop
is scaled correctly?

I have tried url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/backdrop.png"
width="680" height="495") and removing the % figures, and yep, it
completely failed to work!

Any help would be appreciated. For the full effect...
http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2

TTFN

Paul

rf

"Paul F. Johnson" <paul@spammersahoy!.co.uk> wrote in message
newsan.2003.10.27.16.26.59.305910@spammersahoy!. co.uk...
> Hi,
>
> I have a bit of css which looks like this...
>
> #container {
> position: relative;
> width: 680px;
> margin: auto;
> padding: 0;
> color: #000;
> background: #eee
> url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/backdrop.png") no-repeat

scroll -30% 30%;
> border: #443b2c 1px solid;
> text-align: left;
> height: auto;
> }

Ooer, I hope this is just testing CSS, you know, just stuff you are fiddling
around with.

> Having played around with the stylesheet so that my 100 x 100px backdrop
> is automagically resized to fill everything under the banner, I find that
> I can't. I can fiddle with the positioning by altering the -30% 30% (0 20%
> was fine IIRC), but I am unable to scale the image correctly.

Background images cannot be scaled or changed in size in any way.

> Can it be done so that irrespective the size of the screen, the backdrop
> is scaled correctly?

No.

> I have tried url("http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2/backdrop.png"

404

> Any help would be appreciated. For the full effect...
> http://ahnews.music.salford.ac.uk/rn2

Hmmm. Hideously small text and when I make it larger the design falls
totally apart.

Cheers
Richard.

Toby A Inkster

rf wrote:

> Background images cannot be scaled or changed in size in any way.

.... until browsers implement more of CSS Level 3.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS