Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > set root folder

set root folder

Fredo Vincentis

I can remember once reading that there was a way to set a "root folder" (or
something similar) for my HTML. So meaning: the browser automatically
searches in one particular folder for my files, without me having to specify
that folder in every src attribute.

Does anybody know what I am talking about and can refresh my memory on how
to achieve this?

Thanks!

rf

"Fredo Vincentis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bn84rm$2h51$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I can remember once reading that there was a way to set a "root folder"

(or
> something similar) for my HTML. So meaning: the browser automatically
> searches in one particular folder for my files, without me having to

specify
> that folder in every src attribute.
>
> Does anybody know what I am talking about and can refresh my memory on how
> to achieve this?

The <base> element.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#h-12.4

Cheers
Richard.

Fredo Vincentis

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IJMlb.162256$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Fredo Vincentis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bn84rm$2h51$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I can remember once reading that there was a way to set a "root folder"

> (or
> > something similar) for my HTML. So meaning: the browser automatically
> > searches in one particular folder for my files, without me having to

> specify
> > that folder in every src attribute.
> >
> > Does anybody know what I am talking about and can refresh my memory on

how
> > to achieve this?

> The <base> element.
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#h-12.4

Yeah! that's it. Thanks!

rf

"Fredo Vincentis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bn88bn$2j7b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:IJMlb.162256$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Fredo Vincentis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:bn84rm$2h51$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I can remember once reading that there was a way to set a "root

folder"
> > (or
> > > something similar) for my HTML. So meaning: the browser automatically
> > > searches in one particular folder for my files, without me having to

> > specify
> > > that folder in every src attribute.
> > >
> > > Does anybody know what I am talking about and can refresh my memory on

> how
> > > to achieve this?

> > The <base> element.
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#h-12.4

> Yeah! that's it. Thanks!

Just a thought: You are not hardcoding the absolute path, are you? This is
the usual reason for using a base element.

Bad: src="example.com/images/picture.jpeg"
Good: src="images/picture.jpeg"

Cheers
Richard.