Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Text string must not wrap

Text string must not wrap

Brian Tozer

In a fluid page I have a couple of text strings that I do not want to wrap
as/if the page is resized.
e.g. 'BBC Three Counties Radio and BBC Radio Northampton'

How would I prevent the string from being broken between words as the page
is narrowed?

Thanks
Brian Tozer

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:28:29 +1300, Brian Tozer is reported to
have stated:

> In a fluid page I have a couple of text strings that I do not want to wrap
> as/if the page is resized.
> e.g. 'BBC Three Counties Radio and BBC Radio Northampton'
>
> How would I prevent the string from being broken between words as the page
> is narrowed?

"BBC Three Counties Radio and& nbsp;BBC Radio
Northampton" (watch wrapping)

But a phrase that long will cause yukky horizontal scrollbars at a fairly
large window size (depending on font size, of course). And it could look
weird if it appears in the middle of a sentence (again depending to some
extent on window width and font size). e.g.:

My favourite radio stations are
BBC Three Counties Radio and BBC Radio Northampton, because they are really
good.

May I ask why you want to do this?

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Nico Schuyt

Brian Tozer wrote:
> In a fluid page I have a couple of text strings that I do not want to
> wrap as/if the page is resized.
> e.g. 'BBC Three Counties Radio and BBC Radio Northampton'
> How would I prevent the string from being broken between words as the
> page is narrowed?

Try non braking spaces (&nbsp between the words or <P STYLE="white-space:
nowrap">
Nico

Brian Tozer

"Mark Parnell" wrote

> My favourite radio stations are
> BBC Three Counties Radio and BBC Radio Northampton, because they are

really
> good.
>
> May I ask why you want to do this?

Hi Mark, thanks to both who answered my query.
I am creating a web page for a broadcaster journalist who has appeared on
both stations and she was stipulating that each appear nonwrapped. I
concatenated them both in the example to clarify my request.

Regards from over the ditch in Godsown.
Brian Tozer

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Fri, 24 Oct 2003 02:08:36 +1300, Brian Tozer is reported to
have stated:

> I am creating a web page for a broadcaster journalist who has appeared on
> both stations and she was stipulating that each appear nonwrapped.

Oh, well - if she's the one who is paying the bills...