Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > table cell background image - not movable

table cell background image - not movable

Joe Butler

I've seen sites with background images that don't scroll with the site's
text etc.

Is it possible to define a background image for a single table cell that
does not scroll with the table.

My site is layed out using a table, where the lower-right cell is the page's
content. I want this cell only to have a non-scrolling background.

Thanks.

Sid Ismail

:
: Is it possible to define a background image for a single table cell that
: does not scroll with the table.
:
: My site is layed out using a table, where the lower-right cell is the page's
: content. I want this cell only to have a non-scrolling background.

For that cell,
no-repeat fixed center center;">

Sid

Joe Butler

Thanks...

.... but that does not work. I get no background at all with it. Are you
sure this is not malformed.
I'm pretty inexperienced with html, so I'm not going to notice if you've
missed obvious things out.

center;">

"Sid Ismail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:09:02 +0100, "Joe Butler"

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> : I've seen sites with background images that don't scroll with the site's
> : text etc.
> :
> : Is it possible to define a background image for a single table cell that
> : does not scroll with the table.
> :
> : My site is layed out using a table, where the lower-right cell is the

page's
> : content. I want this cell only to have a non-scrolling background.
>

> For that cell,
> no-repeat fixed center center;">
>
> Sid

Joe Butler

.... and i did substitute the correct graphic !

"Sid Ismail" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:09:02 +0100, "Joe Butler"

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> : I've seen sites with background images that don't scroll with the site's
> : text etc.
> :
> : Is it possible to define a background image for a single table cell that
> : does not scroll with the table.
> :
> : My site is layed out using a table, where the lower-right cell is the

page's
> : content. I want this cell only to have a non-scrolling background.
>

> For that cell,
> no-repeat fixed center center;">
>
> Sid

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Joe Butler pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
> Thanks...
>
> ... but that does not work. I get no background at all with it. Are you
> sure this is not malformed.
> I'm pretty inexperienced with html, so I'm not going to notice if you've
> missed obvious things out.

> center;">

Needs to be style instead of class.

center;">

...or put it all in your stylesheet, and _then_ use class.

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Joe Butler

still does not work.

background is fixed solid within the cell.

news:iC_kb.40773$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Joe Butler pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
> > Thanks...
> >
> > ... but that does not work. I get no background at all with it. Are you
> > sure this is not malformed.
> > I'm pretty inexperienced with html, so I'm not going to notice if you've
> > missed obvious things out.

> > center;">

> Needs to be style instead of class.

> center;">
>
> ..or put it all in your stylesheet, and _then_ use class.
>
> --
> -bts
> -This space intentionally left blank.

Sid Ismail

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:55:58 GMT, Beauregard T. Shagnasty
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: Needs to be style instead of class.
:
: <td style="background: #00FF00 url(stars.gif) no-repeat fixed center
: center;">

right - apologies... braindead here...

Sid

Leif K-Brooks

Joe Butler wrote:

> My site is layed out using a table

Don't do that. http://www.allmyfaqs.com/cgi-bin/wik...leless_layouts

David Dorward

Sid Ismail wrote:

> For that cell,
> no-repeat fixed center center;">

* Should be style not class
* Internet Explorer is broken and can't handle 'fixed' properly for anything
other then the <body>

--
David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

Toby A Inkster

Joe Butler wrote:

> still does not work.
>
> background is fixed solid within the cell.

Internet Explorer only supports fixed backgrounds on <body> -- not on
table cells or anything else.

Most other browsers should handle it fine though.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS