Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > div layer

div layer

bender

Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm

How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their menu.
'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to always
be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.

Appreciate any response.

brucie

In post <3f926750$(E-Mail Removed)>
bender said...

> Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm
>
> How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their menu.
> 'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to always
> be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.
>
> Appreciate any response.

a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
another.
b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.

i recommend a rethink on the design.

--
brucie.
19/October/2003 08:34:25 pm

bender

"brucie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bmtpc2$qa274$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> In post <3f926750$(E-Mail Removed)>
> bender said...
>
> > Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm
> >
> > How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their menu.
> > 'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to

always
> > be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.
> >
> > Appreciate any response.

> a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
> another.
> b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.
>
> i recommend a rethink on the design.
>
> --
> brucie.
> 19/October/2003 08:34:25 pm

Wasnt aware that so many users didnt have support for js. By that token I
guess using flash is also 'wrong' ?
What would you suggest I use ? simple html links ?

I personally have no problems using a dropdown menu, think it's easy to use.

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
bender said...

>> a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
>> another.
>> b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.

> Wasnt aware that so many users didnt have support for js. By that token I
> guess using flash is also 'wrong' ?

no, you can use as much optional goodies as you like but relying on it
for critical functions is stupid.

> What would you suggest I use ? simple html links ?

they do have the advantage of being instantly recognizable and always
work. at least use them as an alternative to whatever type of nav you
decide upon.

--
brucie.
19/October/2003 09:12:43 pm

Kris

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "bender" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
> > another.
> > b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.
> >
> > i recommend a rethink on the design.
> >
> > --
> > brucie.
> > 19/October/2003 08:34:25 pm

> Wasnt aware that so many users didnt have support for js. By that token I
> guess using flash is also 'wrong' ?
> What would you suggest I use ? simple html links ?
>
> I personally have no problems using a dropdown menu, think it's easy to use.

For a demonstration of what brucie tells you:
<http://www.joukedevries.nl/>

I personally believe that I executed the dropdown nicely; it degrades
nicely when CSS or JS are not available (also note the two-step
navigation, enabling you to click the main link and go deeper on the
resulting page), but it is just terrible to use.

It clearly needed more though, but that would become disproportional to
the time spend on the project. We did it anyway though. The lesson is
the most valuable we got out of it.

--
Kris
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)erlands (nl)

David Dorward

Kris wrote:

>> I personally have no problems using a dropdown menu, think it's easy to
>> use.

> For a demonstration of what brucie tells you:
> <http://www.joukedevries.nl/>

Ouch. Move the mouse to click the "Videoclips" link, and a menu
(unexpectedly) appears on top of it. So you then have to move the mouse
away from the menu to make it go away, and then approach the link from a
different direction.

I'm not at all a far of things appearing in response to mouse movement.
(Appearing in response to clicks - maybe. Changing in response to mouse
movement - oh yes. But not appearing from mouse movement)

--
David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

Whitecrest

> > a) about 100 million people (10-15%) don't have JS for one reason or
> > another.
> > b) a drop down type of menu isn't user friendly for site nav.
> > i recommend a rethink on the design.

> Wasnt aware that so many users didnt have support for js. By that token I
> guess using flash is also 'wrong' ?
> What would you suggest I use ? simple html links ?
> I personally have no problems using a dropdown menu, think it's easy to use.

Using things like Javascript and flash will stop a small percentage of
people from seeing your site the way you want them to. But at the same
time it can be the reason people come to your site too. It is a two way
street.

Go to sites that do the same thing you do, What are they using?

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

bender

"bender" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f926750$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Take a look at this website : http://larsandre.mine.nu/menu3.htm
>
> How can I place the three layers on this page directly below their menu.
> 'about' and 'docs' belong to the main menu 'prosjekt'. They need to always
> be directly below regardless of what resolution the user has.
>
> Appreciate any response.

Can anyone actually answer my question ?

David Dorward

bender wrote:

> Can anyone actually answer my question ?

It took you less then two hours to start nagging the group. Try remembering
these two things:

1. We aren't being paid to help you
2. Patience is a virtue

--
David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

bender

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bmu118$l5k$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> bender wrote:
>
> > Can anyone actually answer my question ?

> It took you less then two hours to start nagging the group. Try

remembering
> these two things:
>
> 1. We aren't being paid to help you
> 2. Patience is a virtue
>
> --
> David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

I just thought the thread was focusing on the wrong issue. I apologize if my
above comments came of as me demanding an answer . Fully agree with your two
above points.