Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > mailto with current date

mailto with current date

Matthew Bedford

Is there a tag or script(s) which will enable me to create an email
message with the subject containing the current date. I know about the
&subject etc... I just want to know how to set up the current date
inside that subject along with some other text

Kris

In article <Jjzjb.75$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Matthew Bedford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Is there a tag or script(s) which will enable me to create an email
> message with the subject containing the current date. I know about the
> &subject etc... I just want to know how to set up the current date
> inside that subject along with some other text

For all that and more, us e a server side form handler, which will
process the form and send the results to any desired e-mail address and
send appropriate content back to the browser.

Your host may already have pre-made scripts for you available that may
meet your needs.

Don't trust methods of information gatherng that rely on the client side.

--
Kris
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)erlands (nl)

Matthew Bedford

Well, actually I am looking to create a shorcut, script, or program on
my desktop that will open up or create an email so I can enter a daily
report. The thing is I forget to update the date, and there is certain
standard fare that I enter every time. I've saved an email on the
desktop right now, but I still have to update the date.... I'm not
working on the web with this one...

Kris wrote:

> In article <Jjzjb.75$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Matthew Bedford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Is there a tag or script(s) which will enable me to create an email
>>message with the subject containing the current date. I know about the
>>&subject etc... I just want to know how to set up the current date
>>inside that subject along with some other text

> For all that and more, us e a server side form handler, which will
> process the form and send the results to any desired e-mail address and
> send appropriate content back to the browser.
>
> Your host may already have pre-made scripts for you available that may
> meet your needs.
>
> Don't trust methods of information gatherng that rely on the client side.

Kris

In article <r8Ajb.94$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Matthew Bedford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[top posting fixed]

> Kris wrote:
>
> > In article <Jjzjb.75$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> > Matthew Bedford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>Is there a tag or script(s) which will enable me to create an email
> >>message with the subject containing the current date. I know about the
> >>&subject etc... I just want to know how to set up the current date
> >>inside that subject along with some other text

> > Don't trust methods of information gatherng that rely on the client side.

> Well, actually I am looking to create a shorcut, script, or program on
> my desktop that will open up or create an email so I can enter a daily
> report. The thing is I forget to update the date, and there is certain
> standard fare that I enter every time. I've saved an email on the
> desktop right now, but I still have to update the date.... I'm not
> working on the web with this one...

That is not related to HTML or the Internet in general, highly off-topic
in this group and something I have no knowledge of. If you own a Mac,
look into Applescript.

Consider a more polite way of replying. Bottomposting, instead of
topposting, for instance.

--
Kris
(E-Mail Removed)erlands (nl)
"We called him Tortoise because he taught us" said the Mock Turtle.

Richard

Kris wrote:

> In article <r8Ajb.94$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Matthew Bedford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [top posting fixed]

>> Kris wrote:

>> the

>> > Don't trust methods of information gatherng that rely on the client

>> side.

>> Well, actually I am looking to create a shorcut, script, or program on
>> my desktop that will open up or create an email so I can enter a daily
>> report. The thing is I forget to update the date, and there is certain
>> standard fare that I enter every time. I've saved an email on the
>> desktop right now, but I still have to update the date.... I'm not
>> working on the web with this one...

> That is not related to HTML or the Internet in general, highly
> off-topic
> in this group and something I have no knowledge of. If you own a Mac,
> look into Applescript.

> Consider a more polite way of replying. Bottomposting, instead of
> topposting, for instance.

True it is not related directly to website html, however, the group name
does not reflect strict rules to only website material.
As you know, html can be used on a local machine just as it can be applied
to any website.
therefor, his post IS on topic.
Naturally, scripting of any type which can be implemented within html, is
also relative.

<flame retardant suit on>

Matthew Bedford

Kris wrote:
> In article <r8Ajb.94$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
> Matthew Bedford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> [top posting fixed]
>

>>Kris wrote:

>>>Don't trust methods of information gatherng that rely on the client side.

>>Well, actually I am looking to create a shorcut, script, or program on
>>my desktop that will open up or create an email so I can enter a daily
>>report. The thing is I forget to update the date, and there is certain
>>standard fare that I enter every time. I've saved an email on the
>>desktop right now, but I still have to update the date.... I'm not
>>working on the web with this one...

> That is not related to HTML or the Internet in general, highly off-topic
> in this group and something I have no knowledge of. If you own a Mac,
> look into Applescript.
>
> Consider a more polite way of replying. Bottomposting, instead of
> topposting, for instance.

My apologies on the top/bottomposting, kinda new to the newsgroup thing...

and if there is anybody who knows of some HTML code which could pull up
current system date, I would really appreciate some assistance.

~MattB
nuthin'much

Kris

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Richard" <anom@anom>
wrote:

> > That is not related to HTML or the Internet in general, highly
> > off-topic
> > in this group and something I have no knowledge of. If you own a Mac,
> > look into Applescript.

> True it is not related directly to website html, however, the group name
> does not reflect strict rules to only website material.
> As you know, html can be used on a local machine just as it can be applied
> to any website.
> therefor, his post IS on topic.

It is not about HTML.

> Naturally, scripting of any type which can be implemented within html, is
> also relative.

Slowly I am starting to understand what he was actually asking. It may
also be a matter of me not reading carefully.

> <flame retardant suit on>

I only like to read flamatory posts. I rest my case.

--
Kris
(E-Mail Removed)erlands (nl)
"We called him Tortoise because he taught us" said the Mock Turtle.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Matthew Bedford <(E-Mail Removed)> feverishly
typed:

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. (E-Mail Removed). Take the dog out!

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Matthew Bedford <(E-Mail Removed)> feverishly
typed:

> My apologies on the top/bottomposting, kinda new to the newsgroup
> thing...

If only all new people were so polite! Have a read of the following for more
info;

How To Post in Newsgroups:
http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post

> and if there is anybody who knows of some HTML code which could pull
> up current system date, I would really appreciate some assistance.

Well... as long as you promise to only use this on your own computer at home
and never, ever use it on the net, the following should work. Stick it in
the body of an HTML document and feel free to tinker with it...

<script type="text/javascript">
today = new Date();

document.write("<p><a
href=\"(E-Mail Removed)?subject="+ today.getDate()+":"+today.
getMonth()+":"+(today.getYear()+1900)+"%20Report\" >Email Report</a></p>");
</script>

.... but read the following for Very Good Reasons why you should not normally
do such things on the net;

How Can I Add a Subject or CC to a Mailto Link?
http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help...#mailtosubject

The Mythical Mailto
http://www.isolani.co.uk/newbie/mailto.html

Hope that helps,
Nige

--

nice.guy.nige wrote:
> While the city slept, Matthew Bedford <(E-Mail Removed)> feverishly
> typed:
>

>>My apologies on the top/bottomposting, kinda new to the newsgroup
>>thing...

> If only all new people were so polite! Have a read of the following for more
> info;
>
> How To Post in Newsgroups:
> http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?How_to_post
>

>>and if there is anybody who knows of some HTML code which could pull
>>up current system date, I would really appreciate some assistance.

> Well... as long as you promise to only use this on your own computer at home
> and never, ever use it on the net, the following should work. Stick it in
> the body of an HTML document and feel free to tinker with it...
>
> <script type="text/javascript">
> today = new Date();
>
> document.write("<p><a
> href=\"(E-Mail Removed)?subject="+ today.getDate()+":"+today.
> getMonth()+":"+(today.getYear()+1900)+"%20Report\" >Email Report</a></p>");
> </script>
>
> ... but read the following for Very Good Reasons why you should not normally
> do such things on the net;
>
> How Can I Add a Subject or CC to a Mailto Link?
> http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help...#mailtosubject
>
> The Mythical Mailto
> http://www.isolani.co.uk/newbie/mailto.html
>
> Hope that helps,
> Nige

thanks, and you have no idea how much tongue biting and rewriting it
took to respond with that 'polite' answer, thank you

~MattB
nuthin'much