Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Browser compatibility question

Reply
Thread Tools

Browser compatibility question

 
 
Raymond Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2003
I just designed a beautiful Web site. Did it all with HTML and CSS via
Notepad. I was so delighted and proud. Showed it to my boss, who was also
impressed. But then, he went back to his office, tried looking at it, and
most of my cool styles did not show up. It was readable and functional, but
not as great to look at.

Turns out, he has IE5 and I have IE6. He also tried Netscape 4.7. That was
worse. He doesn't want everybody in the company to have to upgrade to IE6,
nor do I blame him. Somebody told me that there was a place where you submit
your code or link (like the W3 Validator site), as well as which browser you
want to view it on, and it will suggest alternative code to use. Is that
true? Is there such a site?

Thanks in advance!
--
Regards,
Raymond Lee

If you want happiness for an hour - take a nap.
If you want happiness for a day - go fishing.
If you want happiness for a month - get married.
If you want happiness for a year - inherit a fortune.
If you want happiness for a lifetime - help someone else.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nice.guy.nige
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2003
While the city slept, Raymond Lee <(E-Mail Removed)> feverishly typed:

> Regards,
> Raymond Lee


Christ! I thought I read "Lee Raymond" there... as in the big-bad-boss of
ExxonMobil! You narrowly avoided my kill-file there!

Maybe you could post a URL to your code, so the good people here can have a
look and make some suggestions?

Cheers,
Nige

--
Nigel Moss.

Email address is not valid. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed). Take the dog out!
http://www.nigenet.org.uk | Boycott E$$O!! http://www.stopesso.com
"How strange the change from major to minor..."


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
DU
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2003
Raymond Lee wrote:

> I just designed a beautiful Web site. Did it all with HTML and CSS via
> Notepad. I was so delighted and proud. Showed it to my boss, who was also
> impressed. But then, he went back to his office, tried looking at it, and
> most of my cool styles did not show up. It was readable and functional, but
> not as great to look at.
>


Functionality and access to content are more important here. One primary
goal of accessibility is to make sure a page content is accessible in
older browsers.

> Turns out, he has IE5 and I have IE6. He also tried Netscape 4.7. That was
> worse. He doesn't want everybody in the company to have to upgrade to IE6,
> nor do I blame him. Somebody told me that there was a place where you submit
> your code or link (like the W3 Validator site), as well as which browser you
> want to view it on, and it will suggest alternative code to use.


Well, not exactly that but the validator will report syntax errors and
deprecated elements and attributes (according to the DTD you use).

Is that
> true? Is there such a site?
>
> Thanks in advance!


http://validator.w3.org/

Make sure you use a doctype declaration, preferably a strict DTD; ie
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

Activating the Right Layout Mode Using the Doctype Declaration
http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/doctype.html

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/
- Resources, help and tips for Netscape 7.x users and Composer
- Interactive demos on Popup windows, music (audio/midi) in Netscape 7.x
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...e7Section.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Parnell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2003
Sometime around Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:59:00 GMT, Raymond Lee is reported to
have stated:

> Somebody told me that there was a place where you submit
> your code or link (like the W3 Validator site), as well as which browser you
> want to view it on, and it will suggest alternative code to use. Is that
> true? Is there such a site?


news:alt.html

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
 
Reply With Quote
 
brucie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-13-2003
In post <U4zib.10903$(E-Mail Removed) >
Raymond Lee said...

> Somebody told me that there was a place where you submit
> your code or link (like the W3 Validator site), as well as which browser you
> want to view it on, and it will suggest alternative code to use. Is that
> true? Is there such a site?


download the browsers. any claims that a program or system can show
you how your site will appear in a particular browser are at best
inaccurate and at worst totally false and misleading.

--
brucie.
14/October/2003 08:51:25 am
 
Reply With Quote
 
Raymond Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2003
Thank you for that. Somebody else mentioned posting my link, but I have no
place to upload this. But here is my code. Renders nicely in IE6, but not
IE5 or NN4. I tried changing my "body {" style line to "body, table, td {"
thinking maybe iy was not inhereting properly, but that still did not get my
18pt italic link items, hover color to turn red, or link underlines to
disappear. Any clue?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may provide.

RL
__________________________________________________

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<html>
<head>
<title>Mandarin Chef Employee's Intranet Home Page</title>
<meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {
color: rgb(0%,0%,0%);
background-color: rgb(100%,100%,100%);
font-family: "Times New Roman", sans-serif;
font-style: italic;
font-size: 18pt;
font-weight: bold;
letter-spacing: 0.1em
}
td {
width: 350px;
}
a {
color: black;
text-decoration: none;
}
a:hover {
color: red;
}
big {
font-family: "Times New Roman", sans-serif;
font-size: 12pt;
font-weight: normal;
letter-spacing: normal
}
-->
</style>
</head>

<body>
<big><i><a href="http://www.mandarinchef.com">Mandarin Chef</a> &gt
Employees Intranet</i></big>
<hr>
<img src="../images/logo.gif" style="margin: 20px 0 10px 40px;"
alt="logo">
<table style="margin-left: 40px;">
<tr>
<td><a href="news.html">News</a></td>
<td><a href="handbooks.html">Handbooks</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><a href="forms.html">Forms</a></td>
<td><a href="sharedfiles.html">Shared Files</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><a href="policies.html">Policies</a></td>
<td><a href="education.html">Education and Training</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><a href="procedures.html">Procedures</a></td>
<td><a href="websites.html">Web Sites</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><a href="techniques.html">Techniques</a></td>
<td><a href="reference.html">Reference</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><a href="searchengine.html">Search Engine</a></td>
<td><a href="discussiongroups.html">Discussion Groups</a></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><a href="salesbrochures.html">Sales Brochures</a></td>
<td><a href="competition.html">Competition</a></td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>

</html>
__________________________________________________


"Mark Parnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1jp8n2yzotuac.1rufy1k9s6pmx$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Sometime around Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:59:00 GMT, Raymond Lee is reported to
> have stated:
>
> > Somebody told me that there was a place where you submit
> > your code or link (like the W3 Validator site), as well as which browser

you
> > want to view it on, and it will suggest alternative code to use. Is that
> > true? Is there such a site?

>
> news:alt.html
>
> --
> Mark Parnell
> http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au



 
Reply With Quote
 
DU
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2003
Raymond Lee wrote:
> Thank you for that. Somebody else mentioned posting my link, but I have no
> place to upload this. But here is my code. Renders nicely in IE6, but not
> IE5 or NN4. I tried changing my "body {" style line to "body, table, td {"
> thinking maybe iy was not inhereting properly, but that still did not get my
> 18pt italic link items, hover color to turn red, or link underlines to
> disappear. Any clue?
>


These resources indicate that the :hover pseudo-class and
text-decoration property are supported by MSIE 5.x.

http://devedge.netscape.com/library/...astergrid.html

http://devedge.netscape.com/library/...selectors.html

I would not use absolute unit length for body and any text in your
document. Best is to use scalable, proportional values like em or %tage
(I always prefer %tage). The reason for this is to make your text
scalable for users in all browsers and proportional to the users'
default font size setting. 100% is the normal font size in the user's
browser settings.
pt are best for printing, not for viewing on the web. MSIE will not make
your page scalable, proportional if you use pt for your text: ie
View/Text Size choices (Largest/Larger/Medium/Smaller/Smallest) are
inoperative in MSIE 5+.

> Thanks in advance for any help anyone may provide.
>
> RL
> __________________________________________________



Regarding your italic big links, I'm absolutely convinced it's possible
to create a style sheet which will work in MSIE 5+ and other recent
browsers.

I note there is something not good in your code. If CSS is not supported
(whatever the reason why - disabled or unsupported) in a browser (or
other applications), then your text (<body>) will be rendered smaller
than your "Mandarin chef" link (<big>) while when CSS is supported, your
page will do the opposite. In a precise case like this one, it is said
that the webpage code does not degrade gracefully. Again, this could be
fixed easily.

>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
>
> <html>
> <head>
> <title>Mandarin Chef Employee's Intranet Home Page</title>
> <meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
> <style type="text/css">
> <!--
> body {
> color: rgb(0%,0%,0%);
> background-color: rgb(100%,100%,100%);
> font-family: "Times New Roman", sans-serif;
> font-style: italic;
> font-size: 18pt;
> font-weight: bold;
> letter-spacing: 0.1em
> }
> td {
> width: 350px;
> }
> a {
> color: black;
> text-decoration: none;
> }
> a:hover {
> color: red;
> }
> big {
> font-family: "Times New Roman", sans-serif;
> font-size: 12pt;
> font-weight: normal;
> letter-spacing: normal
> }
> -->
> </style>



Please avoid top-posting. Thanks!

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunclear/
- Resources, help and tips for Netscape 7.x users and Composer
- Interactive demos on Popup windows, music (audio/midi) in Netscape 7.x
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...e7Section.html


 
Reply With Quote
 
Raymond Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-14-2003
"DU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bmhi24$rq5$(E-Mail Removed)...

> These resources indicate that the :hover pseudo-class and
> text-decoration property are supported by MSIE 5.x.
>snip<


Yes, those 2 worked in IE5, but not NN4. But my 18pt italic did not work in
either. As suspected, it was an inherit problem. My "a" element was not
inheriting things like font stuff from my body style. When I changed "body
{..." to "body, a {..." I finally got it to work. However, then all my links
(even the "small" one I wanted in my "big" element (thanks for the advice on
graceful degrading too) also grew to 18pt. Then I changed it to "body, td a
{..." and only my links inside the table cells are big, which is what I
wanted.

> I would not use absolute unit length for body and any text in your
> document. Best is to use scalable, proportional values like em or %tage
> (I always prefer %tage). The reason for this is to make your text
> scalable for users in all browsers and proportional to the users'
> default font size setting. 100% is the normal font size in the user's
> browser settings.
> pt are best for printing, not for viewing on the web. MSIE will not make
> your page scalable, proportional if you use pt for your text: ie


So noted, thanks. I will change that as well.

> Please avoid top-posting. Thanks!


What does that mean? Something wrong with my code?... or with the note I
posted?

Thanks again!

RL


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Goodwin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2003

"Raymond Lee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XXZib.16410$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "DU" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bmhi24$rq5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Please avoid top-posting. Thanks!

>
> What does that mean? Something wrong with my code?... or with the note I
> posted?
>


Top-posting means when you post your reply in a newsgroup above the message
you are replying to, at the top of the post, sort of like this:


your reply--"Who's there?"





my statement-- "Knock-knock"

HTH

--

Paul


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How far does ASP.NET keep up with its Browser Compatibility? ms ASP .Net 3 02-02-2005 09:36 AM
Cross Browser compatibility question tom HTML 46 10-28-2004 05:20 PM
Browser Compatibility Issues =?Utf-8?B?RzI=?= ASP .Net 2 05-17-2004 04:39 AM
Re: Non IE browser compatibility. Peter Blum ASP .Net 2 02-16-2004 01:04 PM
Question about Web Control Browser Compatibility Andrea Williams ASP .Net Web Controls 3 01-08-2004 08:14 PM



Advertisments