Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > disabled color

disabled color

Jochen Fuhrmann

"Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Is that what you want, or do you wish to disable the field?

> Why don't you just tell what you really wish to accomplish, in terms of
> functionality, and illustrate it with a URL?

i'll try to descibe it. i wanna display a form that consists of 3 fields, one is
day, than a dot, the next is month followed by a dot and finally the year,
i want it to look like one field, and i wanna reach the 3 fields by pressing the
tab key. when i tried to just put the dot between the input fields or put the
whole thing in a table, the dot wasn't on the same hight as the numbers i
typed into the input fields, so i thought it would be best to use a disabled
field,
which how i described kind of worked, but i still want it to be black.

jochen

Jochen Fuhrmann

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb

> If you should manage to change the color to black, imagine the frustration
> of your visitor who tries and tries to type something there.

dont think so, cause it doesn't look like a type in form, and because of my
background color they doesn't see anything, thats the main problem with
the whole "disabled color"

> Leave it show as disabled, or use something else to display whatever it is
> you want to display.

thats an option, maybe i should try something else

jochen

rf

"Jochen Fuhrmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bm26cd$h53fp$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
> > Is that what you want, or do you wish to disable the field?

> > Why don't you just tell what you really wish to accomplish, in terms of
> > functionality, and illustrate it with a URL?

> i'll try to descibe it. i wanna display a form that consists of 3 fields,

one is
> day, than a dot, the next is month followed by a dot and finally the year,

Now that would be very confusing. Over here we use slashes to seperate the
date. In the USA they put the month first, followed by the day.

Three fields, clearly labeled "day", "month", "year" would IMHO be better.

> i want it to look like one field, and i wanna reach the 3 fields by

pressing the
> tab key. when i tried to just put the dot between the input fields or put

the
> whole thing in a table, the dot wasn't on the same hight as the numbers i
> typed into the input fields, so i thought it would be best to use a

disabled
> field,
> which how i described kind of worked, but i still want it to be black.

There is nothing to allow you to change the colour of a disabled field
specifically. Mozilla does use the suggested colour for the text in the
field. Opera (my version anyway) ignores all colour. IE6 uses the system
defined "disabled" colour.

Since the browsers are not going to play with you on this one there is
simply nothing you can do.

If you really want to have it looking like this then don't use an input
field for the dots. Use a <span> and style it to look the way you want it
to.

Cheers
Richard.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Jochen Fuhrmann pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

> "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb
>
> > If you should manage to change the color to black, imagine the frustration
> > of your visitor who tries and tries to type something there.

> dont think so, cause it doesn't look like a type in form, and because of my
> background color they doesn't see anything, thats the main problem with
> the whole "disabled color"
>
> > Leave it show as disabled, or use something else to display whatever it is
> > you want to display.

> thats an option, maybe i should try something else

Will something like this work?

<form action="foo"...>
<fieldset>
<legend>Enter Date:</legend>
</fieldset>
</form>

Style to taste.
--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Jochen Fuhrmann

"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> If you really want to have it looking like this then don't use an input
> field for the dots. Use a <span> and style it to look the way you want it
> to.

yeah, thats maybe the best solution

Jochen Fuhrmann

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb

> Will something like this work?
> <form action="foo"...>
> <fieldset>
> <legend>Enter Date:</legend>
> </fieldset>
> </form>

sure it'll work, but it doesnt help me with my problem, but i'll try it another
way,
and if it doesnt work, ill post an url to check ... thx jochen

brucie

In post <Mo1hb.142289$(E-Mail Removed)>
rf said...

> Three fields, clearly labeled "day", "month", "year" would IMHO be better.

i like (dd/mm/yyyy) with a single input. easy to validate then use
list($day,$month,$year)=explode('/',$date); to suck out the d/m/y

--
brucie.
09/October/2003 10:40:02 am

Jukka K. Korpela

"Jochen Fuhrmann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Will something like this work?
>> <form action="foo"...> <fieldset>
>> <legend>Enter Date:</legend>
>> <label for="day">Day: </label> <input type="text" id="day"
>> size="2"> <label for="month">Month: </label> <input type="text"
>> id="month" size="2"> <label for="year">Year: </label> <input
>> type="text" id="year" size="4"> </fieldset> </form>

> sure it'll work, but it doesnt help me with my problem,

Then we still don't know what your ultimate problem is. It surely
wasn't disabled color.

The proposed solution, or something rather similar to it, is surely the
best approach to the problem of date input. If you add markup that
makes each pair of label and input field appear on a line of its own
(using <div> container or <br> separator), it becomes comfortable to
the user, accessible (even a blind person, literally, finds it
suitable), and safe against common errors. (Beware of approaches that
take a date as a single string unless you can be sure that you agree
with the worldwide audience of what, say, 04/07/03 means - there are at
least six different interpretations.)

So if it does not help with your problem, what _is_ the problem?

But please do not bother answering before you can have those Shift and
"." keys fixed.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

rlynch99 rlynch99 is offline
Junior Member

I was bashing my head on this one last week and found that if you don't want people to change the contents of an input box, you don't need to disable it.

Just declare it as Readonly..

E.G.
<input name="inputSomething" type="text" value="this is a test" readonly="readonly" id="inputSomething" />

Hope that helps

Rob