Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Viral Marketing -- How to get visitors to your site

Viral Marketing -- How to get visitors to your site

caveat lector

http://www.webspiner.com/viral/index.htm

Viral Marketing
Many people are creating their own web sites, both for fun and for profit. And
one fact is true of just all of these sites - visitors are needed. I mean,
without people, and lots of them, visiting your web site it's a pretty futile
effort, isn't it? Why bother to put all of the effort, sweat and time into a
site only to have no one read it?

Most people understand that to be seen they need to submit their sites to
search engines. Many others use email signatures, postings to FFA lists and
other similar methods to get people to get to their site. Some even use
classified ads and perhaps even ezines to promote their hard work.

One of the best and most often overlooked method of promoting a site is called
viral marketing. This is the technique that has been successfully used by the
largest web sites over and over again. Sites with familiar names like
Amazon.Com, Bluemountain.Com and even Yahoo.Com.

So what is viral marketing? It is exactly what it sounds like ... you create
something that people want and add some links to that thing. Visitors to your
website like what you've got and add it to their own web sites, send it to
their friends and load it onto their own computers for future reference!

And then those friends and visitors to their web sites do the same thing. They
download it to their own sites, send it to their own friends and load it on
their own computers.

Thus, it works just like a virus! And believe me, a good viral marketing
campaign can spread fast and furious, all over the internet. You got a great
free give-away with your links, and other people will do the rest for you.

Compared to a good viral marketing program, the search engines are a small drop
in the bucket. Great sites like Yahoo.Com would die in a minute if they
depended upon search engines - they depend upon millions of other people
advertising for them.

http://www.webspiner.com/viral/index.htm

--

- -- - -- - --
-- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --

Offer the people what they need.

PeterMcC

caveat lector wrote:
<snip>
> Great sites like Yahoo.Com would die in a
> minute if they depended upon search engines

Isn't there some sort of contradiction here?

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
caveat lector said...

> Many people are creating their own web sites, both for fun and for profit.

bullshit. first i've heard about it. you're clearly delusional.

--
08/October/2003 06:58:40 pm

Andy Dingley

On 08 Oct 2003 08:42:47 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ( caveat lector)
wrote:

>Viral Marketing
>Many people are creating their own web sites, both for fun and for profit.

Ohmygod ! It's 1999 again !

Hywel Jenkins

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> On 08 Oct 2003 08:42:47 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) ( caveat lector)
> wrote:
>
> >Viral Marketing
> >Many people are creating their own web sites, both for fun and for profit.

> Ohmygod ! It's 1999 again !

1999 was a good year. New house, new car, great holiday in the Three
Valleys over Christmas. Fantastic.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
Hywel Jenkins said...

>> Ohmygod ! It's 1999 again !

> 1999 was a good year. New house, new car, great holiday in the Three
> Valleys over Christmas. Fantastic.

1999 sucked the big one. my house burnt to the ground, it was waaay
under insured and i had no contents insurance.

--
brucie.
09/October/2003 07:59:12 am

andy johnson

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:03:19 +1000, brucie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>1999 sucked the big one. my house burnt to the ground, it was waaay
>under insured and i had no contents insurance.

Did the pet Kangaroo make it out OK?
-
Andy

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
- (Calvin and Hobbes) (this email addy is never checked...)

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:01:31 -0700, andy johnson is reported
to have stated:

> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 08:03:19 +1000, brucie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>1999 sucked the big one. my house burnt to the ground, it was waaay
>>under insured and i had no contents insurance.

> Did the pet Kangaroo make it out OK?

The kangaroo is Richard's, not brucie's. Easy mistake to make, I know...

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Whitecrest

> In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Hywel Jenkins said...
>
> >> Ohmygod ! It's 1999 again !

> > 1999 was a good year. New house, new car, great holiday in the Three
> > Valleys over Christmas. Fantastic.

> 1999 sucked the big one. my house burnt to the ground, it was waaay
> under insured and i had no contents insurance.

Could have been worse. You could have.. uh... Man, I guess it couldn't
get any worse.

--
Whitecrest Entertainment
www.whitecrestent.com

brucie

In post <(E-Mail Removed)>
andy johnson said...

>>1999 sucked the big one. my house burnt to the ground, it was waaay
>>under insured and i had no contents insurance.

> Did the pet Kangaroo make it out OK?

i didn't have one but i lost a mommy possum with 4 cute little babies
that lived in a little house i made for them. daddy possum escaped
with really bad burns. he still comes around for a feed occasionally
but he hasn't found a new lady friend. its very sad.

--
brucie.
09/October/2003 11:45:31 am