Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > sending HTML emails

sending HTML emails

Ben

shank wrote:
> I was determined to stay out of this message thread until this moron got
> involved. I admin the mail accounts for some 30 employees for 10+ years.
> They all have HTML turned on! I filter some 5,000 spam emails at the domain
> level every week. The only time we've had problems is when a user clicked
> onto an attachment. Apparently, idiots like yourselves. I do not subscribe
> to the "sky is falling" religion you select few have chosen. Correct!
> "Select few." I personally do not know of anyone that has HTML turned off.

I use html email all the time on the one hand. On the other I have it
turned off in both Mozilla and OE (even though I don't receive spam).
Mozilla is a bit more of a pain if you do want to see the images etc.,
but in OE it is a just a matter of hitting the forward button and all
the images etc. appear as they should. One time an email got through in
Mozilla containing some kind of movie file which did show up which
ticked me off, but generally eveything is viewed in plain text. (BTW.
in OE you can go to options / security and set the email viewer to
restricted site zone settings of IE which should be set to have
everything turned off).

BTW. it amazes me that anyone would be dumb enough to run an atachment
that is sent to them without any consideration of what it may contain.

Ben
--
BTW. I can be contacted at Username:newsgroup4.replies.benaltw
Domainoxy.net

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Ben pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

> BTW. it amazes me that anyone would be dumb enough to run an atachment
> that is sent to them without any consideration of what it may contain.

Heh, you forgot about Swen already? <g>

FROM: "MS Program Security Section"

MS Customer

this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003,
Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities
affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well
as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your computer from
these vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an malicious
user to run code on your system. This update includes the functionality of
all previously released patches.

Millions of users:
"Ah, an update. How sweet of Microsoft to think of me." CLICK!

--
-bts
-This space intentionally left blank.

Nicolai P. Zwar

Ben wrote:

> I use html email all the time on the one hand. On the other I have it
> turned off in both Mozilla and OE (even though I don't receive spam).

HTML e-mail can be a useful thing now and then, but I would send HTML
formatted e-mails only to people who are explicitly expecting them.

--
Nicolai Zwar
http://www.nicolaizwar.com

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "shank" <(E-Mail Removed)>
writing in news:6hdhb.74363$(E-Mail Removed) om:

>> EVERYBODY I know, family, friends, work, you name it, has HTML turned
>> off. When you spammers send email, the ones that get by the filters
>> get added to the kill filter list. Screw you people. You are the
>> reason what could have been a nice thing has fallen into disuse.
>> -
>> Andy

> I was determined to stay out of this message thread until this moron
> got involved. I admin the mail accounts for some 30 employees for 10+
> years. They all have HTML turned on! I filter some 5,000 spam emails at
> the domain level every week. The only time we've had problems is when a
> user clicked onto an attachment. Apparently, idiots like yourselves. I
> do not subscribe to the "sky is falling" religion you select few have
> chosen. Correct! "Select few." I personally do not know of anyone that
> has HTML turned off. We live in a colorful world and choose to see
> color. We use it for proofing and emphasizing ideas and instruction.
> Color is here and it's staying!
>
> Through your own little cult thinking I have now been labeled a
> spammer. We have 18,000 subscribers that we email twice a week. More
> sign up every week, some unsubscribe or bounce every week. Regardless,
> in 6 years we've been accused of spamming twice. Both from morons like
> yourselves who pounce on the opportunity to inflame a situation because
> your lives are pathetic and boring.
>
> Be assured that if you were admin of my company, you'd be on the street
> in a hurry! If you cannot keep your local machines safe in an HTML
> world, what the hell good are you? We embrace technology and welcome
> it!!! Wake up and get a life people! There's a great big world out
> there. Check it out someday!
>
> When you throw mud - expect to catch a bit yourselves!

The nice solution is to send mail multipart/text alternative. That way,
people who want HTML email will get HTML email, and people who do not will
get a text version.

It doesn't take very long to make a text version of an email, after all
there are no elements and attributes, just the text. IIRC, you're using
ASP, so look up CDO .

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

Ben

Toby A Inkster wrote:
> Ben wrote:
>

>>IE is pretty good at cutting and then pasting into OE which is not the
>>case with Mozilla Mail and Browser. But IE has not been set up for
>>copying pages with CSS unfortunately.

> In Mozilla, File > Send Page.

I just tested in out now on:
http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk.../webdesign.htm

It didn't save the formating unforunately.
Ben

--
BTW. I can be contacted at Username:newsgroup4.replies.benaltw
Domainoxy.net

kayodeok

Ben <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bm753o$jmdbj$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> Toby A Inkster wrote:
>> Ben wrote:
>>

>>>IE is pretty good at cutting and then pasting into OE which is
>>>not the case with Mozilla Mail and Browser. But IE has not been
>>>set up for copying pages with CSS unfortunately.

>> In Mozilla, File > Send Page.

> I just tested in out now on:
> http://www.kayodeok.btinternet.co.uk.../webdesign.htm
>
> It didn't save the formating unforunately.

I hope that was just an example?

I am the owner of the webpage referenced and I recently exchanged
emails with a guy hosting a duplicate of my web page and who
claimed it was sent to him in an email by a "friend".

Why not just send the link out to whoever?

--
Kayode Okeyode
http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

Mini Me

In article <lnMgb.140862$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > I read the one titled "The Sky Is Falling... So Go Back To Plain Email..."
> > I asked a legitimate question about how to format HTML emails and you find
> > it as an opportunity to preach.

> 893 wasn't preaching.
> Don't take things so personally, take this as advice.
>
> I'd be surprised if more than 2 people in this newsgroup view HTML email.

Affluent "techie" people tend to not like HTML email. But hundreds of
thousands, if not millions, of people like it.

Most would be called "newbies", but it appeals to them and where there
is a "market", you'll find people who fill that market.

Whenever it's offered, I always choose "plain text" for my newsletter
subscriptions, but there are a "few" newsletters where I have
deliberately chosen HTML mail.

My recomendation would be to ALWAYS offer plain text as an option.

As to the original question that started all of this... Outlook and OE
disable a number of features in HTML mail for "security reasons". If
you're email looks bad when you view it, then you're probably out of
luck and need to go back to the old way.

William Tasso

Ben wrote:

> BTW. it amazes me that anyone would be dumb enough to run an atachment
> that is sent to them without any consideration of what it may contain.

Do you mind if I make a minor mod to that?

"it amazes me that anyone would be dumb enough to run an atachment that is
sent to them"

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:58:26 +0100, William Tasso is reported
to have stated:

> "it amazes me that anyone would be dumb enough to run an atachment that is
> sent to them"

But, but...it's from Microsoft. It must be OK.

--
Mark Parnell
http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

Toby A Inkster

Mark Parnell wrote:

> Sometime around Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:58:26 +0100, William Tasso is reported
> to have stated:
>
>> "it amazes me that anyone would be dumb enough to run an atachment that is
>> sent to them"

> But, but...it's from Microsoft. It must be OK.

All the more reason not to run it.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS