Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Thought provoking article

Thought provoking article

Robert Kirton

I am relatively new to HTML / CSS development. I have been reading this
newsgroup for quite a while and have noted much of the advice given with
respect to layout, accessibility issues etc.. I have seen plenty of
reference to the use of alt tags and other design features which must be
taken into account for audible browsers. I have seen little reference to
colour blindness. It transpires that 12% of Caucasian men are colour blind
to a certain extent.

I suspect that some subscribers to this newsgroup are colour-blind and that
Caucasian males also make up a large percentage of the web surfing
community.

Therefore some of you may be interested in the following article -

http://more.btexact.com/people/rigde...rs/colours.pdf

regards

- Rob

Robert Kirton

"Robert Kirton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:blu8ic$nsn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am relatively new to HTML / CSS development. I have been reading this
> newsgroup for quite a while and have noted much of the advice given with
> respect to layout, accessibility issues etc.. I have seen plenty of
> reference to the use of alt tags and other design features which must be
> taken into account for audible browsers. I have seen little reference to
> colour blindness. It transpires that 12% of Caucasian men are colour

blind
> to a certain extent.

oops. 8% colour blindness, however still vaild concern

Dylan Parry

Robert Kirton wrote:

> I am relatively new to HTML / CSS development. I have been reading this
> newsgroup for quite a while and have noted much of the advice given with
> respect to layout, accessibility issues etc.. I have seen plenty of
> reference to the use of alt tags and other design features which must be
> taken into account for audible browsers. I have seen little reference
> to colour blindness. It transpires that 12% of Caucasian men are colour
> blind to a certain extent.

I believe that the stance taken by WAI and Section 508 are that colour
alone should not be used to indicate importance, or indeed be used to
identify something amid other information. It is also recommended that if
colour is used then some sort of alternative that doesn't rely upon the
colour should also be provided.

See: <url:http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#gl-color> for more info.

--
Dylan Parry
Now playing: Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

kchayka

Robert Kirton wrote:

> It transpires that 12% of Caucasian men are colour blind to a certain
> extent.

A useful tool related to this:
<URL:http://www.vischeck.com/vischeck/>

--
To email a reply, remove (dash)un(dash). Mail sent to the un
address is considered spam and automatically deleted.

Isofarro

[Accessibility]

http://www.joeclark.org/book/sashay/...Chapter09.html

--
Iso.
Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010

Disco

kchayka wrote:
> Robert Kirton wrote:
>>
>> It transpires that 12% of Caucasian men are colour blind to a certain
>> extent.

> A useful tool related to this:
> <URL:http://www.vischeck.com/vischeck/>

Sorry for multiposting this, momentary lack of brain usage.......
(Xposted to
alt.comp.accessibility,alt.comp.lang.php,alt.html. web-accessibility,alt.php,
comp.lang.php)

Hi,

I have seen this site - http://www.vischeck.com/ - and its a very nice
tool, however, I would like to have something like this that I can view my
local web site (not-internet-deployed-yet) on my local server. I notice
that they do offer downloadables, but these seem to be only for images, and
not full pages like their live version.

Does anyone know if there is such a tool that I can download to do a similar
thing locally? (preferably built in php - (using the GD library perhaps??)
as this is what I am familier with).

Thanks