Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > external embedded or inline

external embedded or inline

shank

I use an external style sheet mostly.
But if I have attributes on my home page that will never be used elsewhere,
does it really make a difference if I just use the inline CSS and move on?
Are there potential hazards with inline? It just seems like embedded is
overkill and external just adds clutter to the *.css file.

thanks!

Toby A Inkster

shank wrote:

> I use an external style sheet mostly.
> But if I have attributes on my home page that will never be used elsewhere,
> does it really make a difference if I just use the inline CSS and move on?
> Are there potential hazards with inline? It just seems like embedded is
> overkill and external just adds clutter to the *.css file.

Better to put page-specific styles into a <style>...</style> block in the
document head. Opera does weird things with inline styles if the user
enables their own style sheet.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

William Tasso

shank wrote:
> I use an external style sheet mostly.
> But if I have attributes on my home page that will never be used
> elsewhere, does it really make a difference if I just use the inline
> CSS and move on? Are there potential hazards with inline? It just
> seems like embedded is overkill and external just adds clutter to the
> *.css file.

the 'hazards' are apparent rather than real until you repeat the style.

in addition it is a waste of bandwidth in situations where css is not
supported - your favourite se spider for example.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

Jordge W. L.

shank wrote:

> I use an external style sheet mostly.
> But if I have attributes on my home page that will never be used elsewhere,
> does it really make a difference if I just use the inline CSS and move on?
> Are there potential hazards with inline? It just seems like embedded is
> overkill and external just adds clutter to the *.css file.

i use inline styles if it's just one page. I havn't had any problems
with it so far...

Tool which expands implicitly inline inline functions tthunder@gmx.de C++ 3 06-16-2005 12:54 AM
To inline or not to inline? Alvin C++ 7 05-06-2005 03:04 PM
Function delcared inline but not defined inline Nish C Programming 4 10-08-2004 03:31 PM
External inline functions calling internal inline functions Daniel Vallstrom C Programming 2 11-21-2003 01:57 PM
inline or not to inline in C++ Abhi C++ 2 07-03-2003 12:07 AM

Advertisments