Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > force a formular just to take numbers

force a formular just to take numbers

Jochen Fuhrmann

is there a way to tell a formular not to take letters or dots or stuff, just
numbers?

jochen

Dylan Parry

Jochen Fuhrmann wrote:

> is there a way to tell a formular not to take letters or dots or stuff,
> just numbers?

This would depend on your server-side program that processes the form. It
is not a HTML issue.

--
Dylan Parry

Jochen Fuhrmann

"Isofarro" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb

> > is there a way to tell a formular not to take letters or dots or stuff,
> > just numbers?

> Formular in HTML? Do you mean form field and validating where it contains
> numbers? That would require Javascript and serverside scripting.

ok, i'll manage it with phps is_numeric, thought there could be a css thing not
to allow
keys

jochen

David Dorward

Jochen Fuhrmann wrote:

> ok, i'll manage it with phps is_numeric, thought there could be a css
> thing not to allow keys

Why? Its a presentational language.

--
David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

Isofarro

Jochen Fuhrmann wrote:

> is there a way to tell a formular not to take letters or dots or stuff,
> just numbers?

Formular in HTML? Do you mean form field and validating where it contains
numbers? That would require Javascript and serverside scripting.

--
Iso.
Web Design Tutorial: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/1010

Jochen Fuhrmann

"David Dorward" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb

> > ok, i'll manage it with phps is_numeric, thought there could be a css
> > thing not to allow keys

> Why? Its a presentational language.

what does <input type="text"> present?

David Dorward

Jochen Fuhrmann wrote:

>> > ok, i'll manage it with phps is_numeric, thought there could be a css
>> > thing not to allow keys

>> Why? Its a presentational language.

> what does <input type="text"> present?

Since when is <input type="text"> something found in CSS?

--
David Dorward http://dorward.me.uk/

DU

Isofarro wrote:

> Jochen Fuhrmann wrote:
>

>>is there a way to tell a formular not to take letters or dots or stuff,
>>just numbers?

> Formular in HTML? Do you mean form field and validating where it contains
> numbers? That would require Javascript and serverside scripting.

Just client-side script. No need for serverside. I've done this before
and was able to make it work impeccably in MSIE 4 for Windows.

DU
--
Javascript and Browser bugs:
http://www10.brinkster.com/doctorunc...e7Section.html

David Dorward

DU wrote:

> That would require Javascript and serverside scripting.

> Just client-side script. No need for serverside. I've done this before
> and was able to make it work impeccably in MSIE 4 for Windows.

What about the people who doesn't use MSIE 4 for Windows? Or who do, but
have scripting disabled?

To ensure data integrity you can not depend on client side testing.

--

David Dorward wrote:

> DU wrote:
>

>>That would require Javascript and serverside scripting.

>>Just client-side script. No need for serverside. I've done this before
>>and was able to make it work impeccably in MSIE 4 for Windows.

> What about the people who doesn't use MSIE 4 for Windows?

Sorry, I meant to say MSIE 4+ since the script was working for browsers
as old as MSIE 4. In fact, the script works flawlessly in all recent
browsers: Mozilla 0.9.7+, NS 6.1+, MSIE 4+ for windows, Opera 7.x.

Or who do, but
> have scripting disabled?
>
> To ensure data integrity you can not depend on client side testing.

Then yes, server-side is needed for cases of javascript support
inexistent or disabled.

DU