Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > CSS - space around text

CSS - space around text

Matthew Superstar Swass

I've got a DIV that needs to hug a 400pt letter (the number 1 actually).

So I've got line-height:365px and that's close enough, but what do I do about
the space on the sides?

If I change it from 1 to a letter, there is little space on the sides. That
space is just there with a number.

Quick example...

#test
position: absolute;
font-size: 400pt;
border: 1 dotted;
line-height: 365px;

<DIV id=test>1</DIV>

*S

Richard

Matthew wrote:

> I've got a DIV that needs to hug a 400pt letter (the number 1
> actually).

> So I've got line-height:365px and that's close enough, but what do I
> do about
> the space on the sides?

> If I change it from 1 to a letter, there is little space on the sides.
> That
> space is just there with a number.

Simple. Padding-left:10px; padding-right-10px;
This creates an edge effect on the sides instead of the text butting up
against it.
400pt? You couldn't even see the damn thing on a screen!
letter-spacing:2px; could be used to adjust distance between letters.